Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:05 AM

15 posts, read 22,264 times

Advertisements

Don't forget to look in University Park. A fair number of single-family homes sold there last year that were in the low 400s. I use the website franklymls.com to find sold homes. The town sits between two Metro stops and supposedly has a top-notch elementary school. The houses sit on fairly large lots and many of them have garages. Every time we go there to an open house, we see kids playing in their front yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 11:30 AM

153 posts, read 306,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMM View Post
We weren't overly impressed with any of the Mount Rainier homes in our price range, so I'm thinking we might just have to wait a bit or look elsewhere!
This completely renovated 3 bed, 2 story, large yard, 1,200 sq. ft. SFH in Mt. Rainier is a the bottom end of your price range ($359K) and is only 1 block from DC. I understand and respect if it doesn't impress you as all our tastes are all very different. There are a number of similar houses for sale in this area. Maybe you didn't like the feel of the neighborhood? Thats understandable as it is still a bit "rough around the edges" but from having lived here I can assure you there is a great community of friendly people. Mt. Rainier is not for everyone but I am yet to find a neighborhood that is as safe, close to DC (it is impossible to get closer without actually being in DC!) and affordable. Best of luck to you on your search!

3809 33rd St, Mount Rainier, MD 20712 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 01-16-2014, 12:58 PM

15 posts, read 67,698 times
We did like that one! It is a gorgeous renovation. But although it's described as a 3 bedroom house, it's more like 2.5 bedrooms. I had a hard time imagining using the smaller bedroom as anything other than a nursery, and since we'll probably have our second child in another 1.5-2 years, that would put us looking for another house in about 3 years--too soon!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:05 PM

(Which probably also means that we need a house a little larger than I originally thought--maybe 1500+ sq ft instead of 1200+.)

Old 01-16-2014, 03:06 PM

31 posts, read 57,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMM View Post
We did like that one! It is a gorgeous renovation. But although it's described as a 3 bedroom house, it's more like 2.5 bedrooms. I had a hard time imagining using the smaller bedroom as anything other than a nursery, and since we'll probably have our second child in another 1.5-2 years, that would put us looking for another house in about 3 years--too soon!
That's funny, we looked at the same one. The house is nice and all but 359K is very high for the neighborhood. There's a reason the home has been on the market for almost 3 months. Also, the basement floods/leaks near the washing machine. Like OP said 3rd room is tiny.

A TH just went up on Redfin. It's an EYA build, absolutely beautiful- save for the carpets. But it's listed at 430k~. That's just nuts. No way am I paying 430k for a TH.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:46 PM

The Pulte homes are cheaper by far. We saw both the EYA and the Pulte homes in person, and I don't really understand why the Pulte ones are so much cheaper. If you're interested, definitely check out Pulte!

Old 01-17-2014, 07:34 AM

31 posts, read 57,696 times
My understanding is that the Pulte homes start with a far lesser finish, while the EYE homes are baseline with HWF, Granite counter tops, stainless steel appliance, etc. These are examples but the general idea is this.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:46 PM

566 posts, read 1,557,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afer1500 View Post
My understanding is that the Pulte homes start with a far lesser finish, while the EYE homes are baseline with HWF, Granite counter tops, stainless steel appliance, etc. These are examples but the general idea is this.
I toured both developments and spoke in great length with a nice guy from EYA. The EYA homes have much higher standard finishes, whereas many of those finishes would be upgrades at Pulte. But both were very nice. Had they been walking distance to the metro I would have bought one in a heartbeat.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:11 PM

673 posts, read 1,187,948 times
Arts District

Old 02-01-2014, 07:19 AM

1,261 posts, read 694,583 times
Looks like they are almost sold out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland