Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 05:06 PM

16 posts, read 30,303 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about relocating to the following area in Silver Spring, MD: Briggs Chaney Road, Castle Blvd. The schools in the area are Fairland Elementary School, Briggs Chaney Middle School and Paint Branch H.S.

Is the area ok for a middle class family? It seems ok, but I am not really familiar with this part of Silver Spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 06:42 AM

961 posts, read 2,030,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFlowers987 View Post
I am thinking about relocating to the following area in Silver Spring, MD: Briggs Chaney Road, Castle Blvd. The schools in the area are Fairland Elementary School, Briggs Chaney Middle School and Paint Branch H.S.

Is the area ok for a middle class family? It seems ok, but I am not really familiar with this part of Silver Spring.
Don't know about the elementary and middle, but the high school is ok from a national perspective (as are most MoCo high schools). Keep in mind that there are some super elite high achiever local high schools that may make it seem worse than it is when you compare them side by side.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:42 AM

13,383 posts, read 27,158,080 times
Quote:

There is nothing wrong with it regarding safety, but there are some apartments and townhouses that are affordable to lower income people. That contributes to lower test scores in the schools. If you can afford a median or higher price house, you might look at Olney or further west in Silver Spring.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
There is nothing wrong with it regarding safety, but there are some apartments and townhouses that are affordable to lower income people. That contributes to lower test scores in the schools. If you can afford a median or higher price house, you might look at Olney or further west in Silver Spring.
Just curious, what do you consider a median priced home in the DC metro area (MD, in particular)? I imagine for the area, the median is around 550K, for an "ok" home in Montgomery County. I do not have a dual income, since I'm single, therefore my budget is capped at 320K.

The new Woodlake town home community that I'm currently considering is right off of Castle Blvd. The standard town homes are priced a little above 300K. Perhaps the town home community is geared at lower income people. I'm simply looking for something nice, but affordable (within my budget). I do not have any children, but I'm still concerned about the school district, for resale purposes.

Olney would be a great option, but I cannot find any moderately priced (</= 320K) new townhomes in the area.

I have also looked into Brickyard Station in Laurel, but the community seems massive and I'm not really a fan of very large/secluded town home communities.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 AM

13,383 posts, read 27,158,080 times
Quote:
Just curious, what do you consider a median priced home in the DC metro area (MD, in particular)? I imagine for the area, the median is around 550K, for an "ok" home in Montgomery County. I do not have a dual income, since I'm single, therefore my budget is capped at 320K.

The new Woodlake town home community that I'm currently considering is right off of Castle Blvd. The standard town homes are priced a little above 300K. Perhaps the town home community is geared at lower income people. I'm simply looking for something nice, but affordable (within my budget). I do not have any children, but I'm still concerned about the school district, for resale purposes.
OK, I see there are new Beazer townhomes being built. Just be aware that the development is surrounded by older TH's selling in the low-to-mid $200's. I would be a bit concerned about buying the most expensive home in the area. I would personally prefer an existing home in a neighborhood with more affluent neighbors, like around Medical Park Drive in 20902 or Kinsman View Circle in 20901.

You are probably right about being priced out of the single-family home market. Good luck with the decision.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:05 AM

396 posts, read 1,107,281 times
"New" is pretty expensive around here; if you try 80s or 90s townhomes you might find some in decent condition in other areas. If you want "new" they will typically be very large, further out, or (if they are cheaper) in iffy areas. I would check the crime reports on the Castle Rd. area; I don't think it's unsafe or anything, but I do see the road mentioned an awful lot in terms of robberies/stealing.

If you are willing to look at 80s or 90s townhomes, check out Olney or Longmead Crossing subdivision in Silver Spring. Lots of townhomes of that vintage in 20906 and 20905 and 20904. I've been looking at SFH in the area. For example, this one 6 HICKORY HILL Ct, SILVER SPRING, MD 20906 | MLS# MC8350206 | Redfin is in a decent area and, while the price is higher now, who knows--they've already reduced it. Also: 14010 VALLEYFIELD Dr, SILVER SPRING, MD 20906 | MLS# MC8363596 | Redfin

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
OK, I see there are new Beazer townhomes being built. Just be aware that the development is surrounded by older TH's selling in the low-to-mid $200's. I would be a bit concerned about buying the most expensive home in the area. I would personally prefer an existing home in a neighborhood with more affluent neighbors, like around Medical Park Drive in 20902 or Kinsman View Circle in 20901.

You are probably right about being priced out of the single-family home market. Good luck with the decision.
That's definitely a major concern.

Old 06-24-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnielisabeth View Post
"New" is pretty expensive around here; if you try 80s or 90s townhomes you might find some in decent condition in other areas. If you want "new" they will typically be very large, further out, or (if they are cheaper) in iffy areas. I would check the crime reports on the Castle Rd. area; I don't think it's unsafe or anything, but I do see the road mentioned an awful lot in terms of robberies/stealing.

If you are willing to look at 80s or 90s townhomes, check out Olney or Longmead Crossing subdivision in Silver Spring. Lots of townhomes of that vintage in 20906 and 20905 and 20904. I've been looking at SFH in the area. For example, this one 6 HICKORY HILL Ct, SILVER SPRING, MD 20906 | MLS# MC8350206 | Redfin is in a decent area and, while the price is higher now, who knows--they've already reduced it. Also: 14010 VALLEYFIELD Dr, SILVER SPRING, MD 20906 | MLS# MC8363596 | Redfin

Good luck!
Thanks, I've looked at older townhomes, but many of them are just so outdated. I'd have to spend a significant amount of money renovating the bathrooms, living space and kitchen area. Part of the allure of the newer townhome is, it's basically move-in ready.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:24 PM

396 posts, read 1,107,281 times
Quote:
Thanks, I've looked at older townhomes, but many of them are just so outdated. I'd have to spend a significant amount of money renovating the bathrooms, living space and kitchen area. Part of the allure of the newer townhome is, it's basically move-in ready.
Prince Georges County has more affordable, newer housing, so if you want new you might get a better deal there; the community you asked about is near the PG border anyhow. Just be careful and check out the crime reports, schools, call the local police station, check out home values nearby... also Clarksburg, MD is really nice if your job is on the western side of MoCo. Wish you luck!

Old 06-24-2014, 05:38 PM

137 posts, read 268,777 times
Quote:
I am trying to make sense of your statement above. Do you really believe that "apartments and townhouses" residents automatically translate to "lower income people" and by extension "lower test scores in schools"?

If you really believe that and harbor such mindset, then all the relocation advice and suggestions you give here subject themselves to suspicion.

I am sure that you're aware that there are different reasons people choose their housing type and neighborhood, that are not exclusively affordability but also preference, proximity and how long people plan to stay in a place. As well, I am also sure that you're aware that many dwellers of townhouses and apartments are not all illiterates and "lower income people,"

What do you think then are the solutions to combating lower income-ness and increasing home ownership in order to raise the school test scores and make neighborhoods desirable?

Would you support funding public schools like other countries whose test scores are much better than us - without regard to neighborhood/local tax and/or lower/upper income?

Last edited by ABQ1; 06-24-2014 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland