Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 01:09 AM

55 posts, read 146,762 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Have been a Fort Washington resident going on 5 years this year. My assessment jumped this year over 75%

Anyone else have this happen? I've been really quite aggravated at PG county, or should I say MD?, since I moved here. Seems like the most unprofessional/ uneducated group of Gov employees.

What gives.

They really lipsticked the pig with this one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 04:09 AM

45,598 posts, read 60,986,153 times
You can always appeal the assessment. Did you do some major remodeling?

The MD Department of Assessments and Taxation controls the assessments so don't blame the County.

Yes, others have had it happen. Mostly recently during the real estate bubble of 10 or so years ago that led to the recession. I hadn't heard of it happening again, we're looking at 5% increases down here.

If the house is owner occupied you are limited to a tax increase impact of 10%/year (TRIM in PG may make that lower).

Old 01-10-2016, 11:18 AM

2,201 posts, read 2,710,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdeville1 View Post
Hi All,

Have been a Fort Washington resident going on 5 years this year. My assessment jumped this year over 75%

Anyone else have this happen? I've been really quite aggravated at PG county, or should I say MD?, since I moved here. Seems like the most unprofessional/ uneducated group of Gov employees.

What gives.

They really lipsticked the pig with this one

PG county's housing prices have rebounded dramatically since the crash/your last assessment. I guess you can blame the state for that, if you want. FWIW, my assessment in MoCo just went up exactly 100%. It's still a bit below market price so I'm not particularly upset (mostly I just view the previous drop in assessment as lucky timing since it was the bottom of the housing market crash). This house is my primary residence, as well, so Homestead further limits the phase-in to 10% increase a year which is a boatload of money saved. If your new assessment is above market-value then you can appeal. Generally, the assessments are quite conservative, though, so I doubt that's the case.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:17 AM

I meant State. Just seems ridiculous. We have done nothing and, in fact, the house a lot of work, including structural. I no way in hell see anyone buying this house for market value. LOL.

Was wondering if National Harbor played a role.

Regards

Old 01-11-2016, 03:08 AM

It may have.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:32 AM

341 posts, read 425,803 times
Also in Fort Washington, and would gladly sell tomorrow at their assessment.

No outward improvements.

Let me know if you appeal. There are enough foreclosures for it to be arguable.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:51 PM

I will update. This state does nothing fast.

I enjoy being in the sticks and yet close to DC. However, FW has absolutely nothing to offer. A Safeway and liquor store... yay.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdeville1 View Post
I will update. This state does nothing fast.

I enjoy being in the sticks and yet close to DC. However, FW has absolutely nothing to offer. A Safeway and liquor store... yay.

Well, yeah. And you're not really "in the sticks".

Fort Washington has the reputation of being one of the more desirable areas of Prince George's County. Friendly High School still sucks pretty bad, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland