Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 09:19 PM

321 posts, read 1,124,946 times

Advertisements

I agree that the county does get unfairly looked down on just because it’s mostly black. Out of the 850,000+ people living here, it’s probably about 2 or 3% of the people committing almost all of the crime, and ruining it for everyone else who lives here. I’ve heard from various white people who won’t even set foot in the county because they think they’ll get shot as soon as they do. I’m white, and have lived here for 21 years, and have never personally been the victim of a crime.

That being said though, the amount of crime around here is ridiculous. Even the “safer” parts of the county (Mitchellville, Glenn Dale, Bowie, Woodmore, Lake Arbor, Upper Marlboro, Kettering) aren’t immune. I live in Bowie, and in the past year and a half, I’ve had someone get shot less than 20 feet from where I was standing (in the Safeway parking lot at Bowie Town Center), and my brother and cousin both got robbed at gunpoint (one in Blockbuster parking lot at Freestate Mall, one in Chili’s parking lot on 301). At the beginning of February, the house 3 houses down from mine got raided by the DEA for selling pounds of weed out of the house. And the house is less than 200 feet from Bowie City Hall/Bowie Police Department.

To compare with some other areas around here, Montgomery County has had 3 homicides so far this year. Anne Arundel County has had 5. DC has had 34. PG County has had 10 in the past 7 days (38 total this year).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2007, 11:21 PM

31 posts, read 213,137 times
I'm in Upper Marlboro "Little Washington"
The area in industrial and there are lots of big trucks and lots of jets from Andrews Airforce base flying over. Most of the people on my street have lived here for years. There used to be a bar down the street and drug deals on the corner. Luckily the residents helped clean it up.
It is getting better. There is still a lot of bad, but a few new McMansions just popped up, there are two new development signs up and they are working on getting approval for a large single family/townhome development. The builder is supposed to be doing things for the area like putting in sidewalks and street lights. New companies are going in and there inew building going on.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:11 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,350 times
And for your information Langley park is border Montgomery county you can have one foot in langley park and th eother in mintgomery county. The people who live in Langley park do everything in montgomery county because its that close to montgmoery county then othe rareas in pg county. ALl the buses in Langley park go to silver spring or other parts of montgomery county. Most people in Langley park ar emore familiar with montgomery county then pg county just me I travel from langley park to my home in upper marlboro. WHy are people bashing the entire county the entire county is not bad just some parts are like capitol Heights, district heights. People are complaining about the prices of homes ore over price in certain areas and I am happy they are over price becasue not everyone can afford it meaning the poor or high crime people who are usually bring crimes into areas cannot afford to live in certain parts of pg meaning peace and safe environment. The people who save the prices of homes are over price in upper marlboro, Bowie, Brandywine, Fort washington and other areasa are the same one to same move to montgomery or howard county but the prices the homes their are over price as well incertain areas. Stop the damn complaining. I am happy people like you cannot afford a homes from the the $500,000 and up range because you might be the ghetto folks I am not trying to live next to.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:03 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,350 times
lets talk about what pg have to offer folks say pg have not restaurant or shopping read this article.

National Harbor Signs Six More Restaurants04-18-2007

National Harbor Signs Six More Restaurants

Combination of National and Local Restaurants to Open on Potomac Waterfront

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md., March 23, 2007 — Some of the nation’s most fashionable restaurants – including two of Hollywood’s trendiest hotspots, two of Manhattan’s most stylish, upscale dining destinations and two legendary Washington-area culinary landmarks – are among six waterside restaurants that have made early reservations at National Harbor.

The Peterson Companies, the master developer of the 300-acre mixed-use development, announced agreements today with the following restaurants: Ketchup, Dolce Enoteca e Ristorante, Rosa Mexicano and Grace’s Fortune. Letters of intent also have been signed with the Ark Restaurants Corp., which is planning to open two additional restaurants, including a second Sequoia and their high-end New York-style steakhouse, Gallagher’s at National Harbor.

“This grouping of restaurants chosen for National Harbor will make this spectacular waterfront destination unlike anything this region – if not the entire East Coast – has ever seen,” said Marc Menick, vice president, retail at National Harbor. “National Harbor will become one of the nation’s premier dining and shopping attractions, offering patrons the best in food and shopping as well as fresh, sophisticated and unique-to-the-market concepts.”

Four of the restaurants have signed tenant agreements with National Harbor. They are:

Ketchup, one of the signature restaurants of Los Angeles-based The Dolce Group, whose celebrity ownership includes Ashton Kutcher, Wilmer Valderrama and Tara Reid, will offer an exciting menu of American comfort food, presented in a unique, upscale manner. Taking a cue from classic American grills, the National Harbor location of Ketchup will be designed brightly, with plush white leather booths and glowing red ball lights overhead. True to America’s favorite condiment and the restaurant’s name sake, Ketchup will offer a variety of homemade ketchups and sauces, modern twists on classic American dishes, and an exciting cocktail list.

Dolce Enoteca e Ristorante, another popular concept of The Dolce Group, will offer classic Italian food presented in an exciting and elaborate way. With a contemporary Italian menu featuring a modern mix of Northern & Southern Italian cuisine, Dolce Enoteca is The Dolce Group’s signature Italian restaurant and lounge. The National Harbor location of this famed eatery will feature a comfortable, sleek lounge and modernly designed restaurant space, perfect for private events, large dinner parties or intimate dinners.

Rosa Mexicano brings its signature style of authentic Mexican cuisine in a stylishly, festive atmosphere to National Harbor in a 300-seat, 10,000 square foot property. Setting a new standard for Mexican cuisine in New York when it first opened its doors in 1984, Rosa Mexicano’s award-winning signature dishes and crowd pleasing classics include Guacamole en Molcajete, made in a traditional lava-rock mortar; Tablones (Grilled Boneless Short Ribs Served with a Tomatillo-Chipotle Sauce, Rajas and Charro Beans), Zarape de Pato (Roasted Duck Layered Between Soft Tortillas and Topped with Yellow Pepper-Habanero Sauce), and a host of specialty cocktails like Rosa Mexicano’s wildly popular Pomegranate Margarita. With culinary director Roberto Santibañez at the helm, Rosa Mexicano has remained faithful to its traditional roots while incorporating diverse regional accents and inspired innovations.

Grace’s Fortune, a Prince George’s County tradition since 1990, this Bowie-based Chinese restaurant balances the principles of “fan” (rice, noodles, grains) and “choy” (vegetables, meat, poultry and seafood) within an authentic Chinese atmosphere. The Grace’s Fortune planned for National Harbor will be its third location and offer the same posh decors and succulent meals that have made it one of the most sought-after restaurants in the region.

Sequoia at National Harbor will be The Ark Restaurant Corporation’s second location in the Capitol Region. The company owns a 1000-seat restaurant located at Washington Harbor in Georgetown. Ark operates distinctively designed restaurants in New York City, Las Vegas and Washington, D.C.

Gallagher’s with its dark wood décor, is the sister restaurant of one of New York’s great landmark steakhouses. The menu features traditional dry-aged steaks and seafood favorites prepared over its famous open flame mesquite grill. A third Gallagher’s restaurant is located in Las Vegas.

The restaurants will open as early as spring 2008. They join McCormick & Schmick’s, which was previously announced, as well as an array of hotels, including the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center, W Aloft, Westin, Hilton’s Hampton Inn and Suites and Residence Inn by Marriott.

Construction already has begun on the first residences at National Harbor. Sales at One National Harbor, which will include more than 250 upscale condominiums and 40,000 square feet of first-class retail space, are expected to begin as early as this summer.

About National Harbor
Rising from the banks of the Potomac just south of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in Prince George’s County, Md., National Harbor is a 300-acre, mixed-used development that will include five hotels (including the Gaylord National Resort and Convention Center, the largest such facility on the East Coast), thousands of residential units, tree-lined promenades with scores of shops and offices, a marina and much more. Created by Washington, D.C.-area developer, The Peterson Companies., the project will command a mile and a quarter of the Potomac.

About The Peterson Cos.
The Peterson Companies and its affiliates have had a major impact on real estate development in the Washington, DC, area for more than 30 years. The firm is one of the largest privately owned development companies in the region.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 5,921 times
PKOONS nailed it. Sign me,

a MD resident since '63

Old 07-26-2008, 09:53 AM

276 posts, read 792,624 times
Thanks to the liberal wackos in MC, the county is going downhill fast. It was a great place to grow up--great schools, low crime, wonderful neighborhoods. A homicide was very rare.It's all over now. Yes, it's still better than old PGCo, but the good days are now far behind. CA, MD, FL...I've lived all over and it's the same old thing---traffic, crime, declining schools, deteriorating environment. If you are financially able, try to get away from the large urban areas and relocate to where one may still be able to experience some peace (before another influx causes a repeat of the previous mistakes).

Old 07-27-2008, 03:36 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointermom View Post
I'm in Upper Marlboro "Little Washington"
The area in industrial and there are lots of big trucks and lots of jets from Andrews Airforce base flying over. Most of the people on my street have lived here for years. There used to be a bar down the street and drug deals on the corner. Luckily the residents helped clean it up.
It is getting better. There is still a lot of bad, but a few new McMansions just popped up, there are two new development signs up and they are working on getting approval for a large single family/townhome development. The builder is supposed to be doing things for the area like putting in sidewalks and street lights. New companies are going in and there inew building going on.
You must be speaking of a block or two of Upper Marlboro...the area is not "industrial" overall, and actually has many areas that are still quite rural/equestrian-like. A few new McMansions??? What are you talking about...UM has MANY new developments as well as older nice communities.

Please don't taint an entire area based on one block...your block.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:35 PM

331 posts, read 1,197,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
You must be speaking of a block or two of Upper Marlboro...the area is not "industrial" overall, and actually has many areas that are still quite rural/equestrian-like. A few new McMansions??? What are you talking about...UM has MANY new developments as well as older nice communities.

Please don't taint an entire area based on one block...your block.
"Little Washington" is just that -- "little". It is a very small area on the north edge of Upper Marlboro. I think the poster was just referring to Little Washington which is industrial with older homes and a few new McMansions.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:24 PM

646 posts, read 2,667,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC301 View Post
I agree that the county does get unfairly looked down on just because it’s mostly black. Out of the 850,000+ people living here, it’s probably about 2 or 3% of the people committing almost all of the crime, and ruining it for everyone else who lives here. I’ve heard from various white people who won’t even set foot in the county because they think they’ll get shot as soon as they do. I’m white, and have lived here for 21 years, and have never personally been the victim of a crime.

That being said though, the amount of crime around here is ridiculous. Even the “safer” parts of the county (Mitchellville, Glenn Dale, Bowie, Woodmore, Lake Arbor, Upper Marlboro, Kettering) aren’t immune. I live in Bowie, and in the past year and a half, I’ve had someone get shot less than 20 feet from where I was standing (in the Safeway parking lot at Bowie Town Center), and my brother and cousin both got robbed at gunpoint (one in Blockbuster parking lot at Freestate Mall, one in Chili’s parking lot on 301). At the beginning of February, the house 3 houses down from mine got raided by the DEA for selling pounds of weed out of the house. And the house is less than 200 feet from Bowie City Hall/Bowie Police Department.

To compare with some other areas around here, Montgomery County has had 3 homicides so far this year. Anne Arundel County has had 5. DC has had 34. PG County has had 10 in the past 7 days (38 total this year).
I would say we disagree on your first sentence but as far as the rest of you post ,it's on the money.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:34 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,163 times
Exclamation Okay, as a newcomer, this PGC bashing is getting really old!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC301 View Post

Montgomery County has had more than three homicides this year. I went to the county's website and their police department participates in the Crime Reports website. PG County doesn't participate in it, but the city of Cheverly does (Cheverly is in PG County, inside the beltway). Cheverly had less crime than Rockville, MD in the two week period from 7/14 - 7/28. You can span out and see more crime in DC; but MC is definitely not as "safer" as some would like others to believe.

Also, the Washington Post has an excellent Crime Map. You can search crime by county or city/address. One search and you'll find crime all over the metro DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland