Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:45 AM

646 posts, read 2,669,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Montgomery County has had more than three homicides this year. I went to the county's website and their police department participates in the Crime Reports website. PG County doesn't participate in it, but the city of Cheverly does (Cheverly is in PG County, inside the beltway). Cheverly had less crime than Rockville, MD in the two week period from 7/14 - 7/28. You can span out and see more crime in DC; but MC is definitely not as "safer" as some would like others to believe.

Also, the Washington Post has an excellent Crime Map. You can search crime by county or city/address. One search and you'll find crime all over the metro DC area.
LOL....Cheverly is a about 1/10 th the size of Rockville.(not even that big)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 09:20 AM

24 posts, read 97,328 times
"The police are so nonchalant they act as if they'd rather be doing something else."

This is why if I'll be staying in PG county, that I'll be moving somewhere with a local police force. I have never encountered lazier, more disinterested cops in my life than PG county police.

Two incidents come to mind:

-Two officers couldn't be bothered to interrupt their meal at Chipotle and call in the plates of a driver who was VERY OBVIOUSLY DRUNK DRIVING (as in, bottle of whiskey IN HAND) because, "By the time we call it in, he'll be out of the county."

-Wife's purse is stolen from a shopping cart in front of dozens of witnesses. Nearby gas station has the thieves and their vehicle ON CAMERA. Responding officer does not wait for the manager to arrive with keys to the tape safe because, "My vacation starts after this shift, so I'll get the tape in a week."

Amazing. The only time I see PGC cops actually doing anything around here is when they're pulling someone over to write a traffic ticket, or lounging outside a shopping center while eating/talking on a cellphone/napping. Baltimore cops may have been incredibly rude and a bit trigger-happy (I had guns drawn on me during routine traffic stops at least three times) when I lived there, but they at least *responded* to crime.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:37 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,400,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
LOL....Cheverly is a about 1/10 th the size of Rockville.(not even that big)
Hah! LOL...isn't Montgomery County smaller than PG County?? Isn't Charles County smaller than PG County??

Old 07-30-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Hah! LOL...isn't Montgomery County smaller than PG County?? Isn't Charles County smaller than PG County??
In population yes,and most of the criminals caught in Charles county....are from PG.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:47 PM

382 posts, read 954,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somnambulist View Post
"The police are so nonchalant they act as if they'd rather be doing something else."

This is why if I'll be staying in PG county, that I'll be moving somewhere with a local police force. I have never encountered lazier, more disinterested cops in my life than PG county police.

Two incidents come to mind:

-Two officers couldn't be bothered to interrupt their meal at Chipotle and call in the plates of a driver who was VERY OBVIOUSLY DRUNK DRIVING (as in, bottle of whiskey IN HAND) because, "By the time we call it in, he'll be out of the county."

-Wife's purse is stolen from a shopping cart in front of dozens of witnesses. Nearby gas station has the thieves and their vehicle ON CAMERA. Responding officer does not wait for the manager to arrive with keys to the tape safe because, "My vacation starts after this shift, so I'll get the tape in a week."

Amazing. The only time I see PGC cops actually doing anything around here is when they're pulling someone over to write a traffic ticket, or lounging outside a shopping center while eating/talking on a cellphone/napping. Baltimore cops may have been incredibly rude and a bit trigger-happy (I had guns drawn on me during routine traffic stops at least three times) when I lived there, but they at least *responded* to crime.
I remember reading an article a few years ago about how many PGC cops were not going to pursue alot of criminal behavior because of the discrimination and harassment lawsuits that have beset the force in past years. Their attitude suggested that it was better to just let the criminals do what they wanted because if you got involved as a cop, there was going to be a discrimination lawsuit filed against you and the force, you were possibly going to be fired or at a minimum have a negative in your file; so it is better to "look the other way". Maybe its just better to try to put in your "20" and retire to a rural area or anywhere out of PG County. I really don't know why anyone would desire to be a PGC cop.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
I remember reading an article a few years ago about how many PGC cops were not going to pursue alot of criminal behavior because of the discrimination and harassment lawsuits that have beset the force in past years. Their attitude suggested that it was better to just let the criminals do what they wanted because if you got involved as a cop, there was going to be a discrimination lawsuit filed against you and the force, you were possibly going to be fired or at a minimum have a negative in your file; so it is better to "look the other way". Maybe its just better to try to put in your "20" and retire to a rural area or anywhere out of PG County. I really don't know why anyone would desire to be a PGC cop.

I agree ,that would explain alot .

Old 05-18-2011, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,918 times
Default Reloation

I plan to move out there soon. I am planning to further my education to a get a doctrine degree at Bowie University. I have a section 8 voucher and i plan to move out there after graduation from my Master's degree in December. I don't have any small children however, i do have grandchildren who will visit. I really would like to live near the ocean or a beach any suggestions.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,918 times
Default Violence

i am moving from Philadelpha, so i guess i don't really need to share any stories. It might make you cry

Old 05-23-2011, 05:14 PM

2,599 posts, read 4,662,317 times
Default boredatwork

You grew up in Pg til you were 11 and now that you're 15 you dont remember sh*t?...lol...anyway...For every bad thing about PG I can name a good thing. I was removed from PG for 7 years. Went to school in Baltimore stayed in Columbia, MD and now im happy as ever to be back home. Thats why I appreciate all the white folks that live in PG because dammit if they live here than it cant be all that bad......seriously

Old 10-18-2011, 01:47 PM

61 posts, read 133,818 times
Thread Necro.

I wouldn't recommend PG to anyone. It's better than living in inner city Baltimore or SE DC, but if you want a decent environment to raise your kids, a place where you can walk around outside in the evening and not have to worry about being robbed at gunpoint, and a place that isn't inundated with ignorant thug culture, then I would highly suggest you to move elsewhere. The further you get away from the beltway, then the better things get in terms of cleanliness, crime, and overall community. Just as many of the black families were moving out of SE DC and heading to PG to get away from the ignorance and crime, now many black families are moving out of PG to get away from those very same things, so what does that tell you about PG? If you don't like being around large amounts of riff-raff, then you'd be well served to avoid this area like the plague. The sad part is that there are some good families there (mostly from the military/government, long-term residents who moved there decades ago when things were different, or out-of-staters) and that place has so much potential, but until the nonsense is reduced to more managable levels and the prevailing culture changes to something that isn't demeaning and self-destructive, it is going have a horrible (and well-deserved) reputation. I hate to slag off on any community and I apologize if I have offended anyone, but having lived there for a few years and seen what it's like with my own eyes, there is no way that I can recommend the area to anyone unless they are coming from a much worse inner-city environment where there is greater ignorance and crime. Unfortunately, PG wears her reputation well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland