Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:15 PM

59 posts, read 238,125 times

Advertisements

Hello
I am a young african american female that is looking to move to the Maryland area I would love to be as close to DC as possible but also in a safe area I am from the Bronx so I am no stranger to crime but its alittle different when you are born somewhere and know the area and when you try to relocate some place new and don't really know the area or the people. I really dont want to spend too much on rent my max would be $850-900. I have read some positives and negatives (mostly negative lol) about PG county and I am looking for help I have been to Maryland many times in Oxon Hill and Temple Hills and it didn't seem like it was too bad (of course I was only there a few days) if anyone could give me any advice on the safe areas in PG county to live that are close to DC I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 07:30 PM

78 posts, read 309,437 times
I have had a part time residence in northern Md for 8 years and moved here full time in 2005. While this isn't the prxomity to DC that you want, you may want ot consider it. I think you'll get mre safety, and more bang for your buck. You'll end up about 1 1/2 hours from DC, about 1 hour to Philly and 1 hor to Baltimore. Northern Md is mor rural, less traffic than DC (which is horendous!) bt it lack sthe sophistocation and glmaour that DC has vicinty has. My place is only a about 10 miles from the De. border and is in cecil County, the town of North East which is a growing little town with a very nice main street. The town sits onthe water, making it very appealing to boaters and anyone who lives in this area and desires water oriented homes. The next county is Harford County and is more populated and very nice. If you're willing to come north, this may be a good place to check out too. Belair is the main town and it's got some very nice offerings. I think you could get something in your price range. Good luck.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:30 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,350 times
Your price range is low. The really nice areas in PG County is way higher then your price range.

If you want to live in the really nice areas in PG County for a 1bedroom you are looking at $1,200 a month.

PG County have alot of nice areas.

For your price range you might want to look in Greenbelt,Hyattsville,Beltsville.Calverton,Laurel and Takoma Park.

The areas you mention are ok.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:11 PM

106 posts, read 513,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Your price range is low. The really nice areas in PG County is way higher then your price range.

If you want to live in the really nice areas in PG County for a 1bedroom you are looking at $1,200 a month.

PG County have alot of nice areas.

For your price range you might want to look in Greenbelt,Hyattsville,Beltsville.Calverton,Laurel and Takoma Park.

The areas you mention are ok.
I agree. You're going to have a hard time finding anything in your price range, let alone in a "nicer" area.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:42 AM

33 posts, read 186,498 times
Default Laurel

I second Laurel. If you live within city limits (grab an ADC street map book of Prince George's county, the city is shaded yellow, the address saying "laurel, md" just indicates what post office serves it not city limits) you are served by the city's police force which has good response times. The criminals know this and seem to take atleast some of their business elsewhere. Not to say that there is no crime, there is crime in every town in this world. You say you're no stranger to crime, so I'm sure you know the basics: be aware of your surroundings, and don't tempt thieves (especially leaving your keys in the ignition!)

Laurel is close to DC, but also has a "small-town" feel. The north end is more historic, featuring Main St with small shops. The south end is more contemporary with condos, big-box retail, and large new homes, the mall has been bought and plans on its rebirth are well underway. There are numerous festivals and parades if you enjoy such things. If you don't, check the local papers for street closings!

Old 05-26-2008, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,847 times
Hi
Just want to add my 2 cents. Maryland has many nice areas to shop, live and go to school. However, the problem affordable places to live are not in great/safe areas (affordable meaning the price range you stated. I agree with most of the other postings about $1200 or so to rentfor a 1 bdrm. I just moved to North Carolina because I was living in PG county Note: PG COUNTY IS NOT THE PLACE - IMO. and the crime started to get so bad. and too expensive to live anywhere else. I lived in Mitchellville. Sometimes it just depends on what side of the street you live on.
Bowie, Laurel, Columbia/Ellicott city may be places to start. Good Luck and I think you will like it once you find what you are looking for.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:19 AM

59 posts, read 238,125 times
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I was looking at the Laurel area but I didnt know how far it was to DC. I know no place is without crime and some I can handle but I just don't want to be ducking bullets or looking over my shoulder everytime I walk out the door lol. By the way does anyone know about how far Laurel is from DC?

Old 05-27-2008, 05:46 AM

60 posts, read 290,523 times
Laurel is about half an hour away from DC on average, although Laurel is a big city so it depends on what part you are looking in. Anne Arundel County has a lot of places closer to your price range than the nicer PG county areas.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:45 AM

21 posts, read 131,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRB97 View Post
Laurel is about half an hour away from DC on average, although Laurel is a big city so it depends on what part you are looking in. Anne Arundel County has a lot of places closer to your price range than the nicer PG county areas.
I agree about AACO and it's very easy to jump on the highway for a straight shot to DC.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:14 AM

6 posts, read 20,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxchick View Post
Hello
I am a young african american female that is looking to move to the Maryland area I would love to be as close to DC as possible but also in a safe area I am from the Bronx so I am no stranger to crime but its alittle different when you are born somewhere and know the area and when you try to relocate some place new and don't really know the area or the people. I really dont want to spend too much on rent my max would be $850-900. I have read some positives and negatives (mostly negative lol) about PG county and I am looking for help I have been to Maryland many times in Oxon Hill and Temple Hills and it didn't seem like it was too bad (of course I was only there a few days) if anyone could give me any advice on the safe areas in PG county to live that are close to DC I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Come to Bowie! I think you will be highly impressed. We have an amazing number of people who moved to Bowie from NY, so you'll fit right in. Bowie is about 60% white and 30% black and all of the neighborhoods are very diverse and welcoming. After hearing awful stories of how "citylike" and "dangerous" PG county is, I was afraid to move here from Montgomery County. However, you must remember that PG is HUGE and it does have some of the most violent cities within it, however Bowie is a true gem. It is the "Bethesda" of PG. We have tons of shopping and restaraunts within 5 minutes of anywhere in Bowie, tons of jogging paths and parks, and we got a police force a couple of years ago to make you feel even more secure. I would definately say crime is not a problem here; if compared to Oxon Hill or Capitol Heights or even Suitland it's non- existent. Best of all is you could actually live here without a car. We have an extensive bus service running thru the neighborhoods, the Bowie Park and Ride is at the Town Center, or you could drive 15 mins to New Carrollton and Metro to DC. From front door to office door (generally) for a Bowie Metro and Bus user to downtown is one hour. A great time to read or nap- and save gas!

Come check Bowie out, take 50 to collington rd (east) and see Bowie Town Center. Turn left down Northview and you're at the movie theater and park and ride bus lot. Turn right on Northview and check out Allen Pond Park (More than a park, esp during summer weekend sunset concerts and every holiday).

I know alot of the homes here have rented out their basements as apartment units, check papers. Also, many people have found roomates or friends to rent out a townhouse in the area. There are apartments off 301 but they will kill you on rent, you'd be better off buying.

Bottom line- PG is most affordable. Bowie is the best in PG. Bowie is the best suburb you can find this close to DC. Alot of people are in a real estate crisis and may be willing to workout a cheap rent deal for you. Hope this helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland