Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:52 PM

7 posts, read 43,695 times

Advertisements

Hello. recently my husband accepted a job offer in MD and we dont have an idea of were to live because I have read in this forum so much bad things about the areas we were considering that right now we are clueless. the areas we have in mind were.

1. Germantown. leaman farm new TH by Craftmark. IS THE COMMUTE REALLY BAD TO WHITE OAK SS (new hamphsire ave) my husband will go at 6:00am and off work at 4:00pm

2. Gaithersburg. Hidden Creek TH. But with all i have read in this forum is definetely off the list

3. Silver Spring. White hall square new TH by N/V (1513 Regent Manor Court Silver Spring, MD 20904 ) is it a really bad neigborhood. How are the schoools.

4. Howard County. we were looking elkridge, hanover and columbia. any of them good?

We have 2 boys (3 and 1 years) and our price range is from 300k to 400k (450k if we sell our house). please I need help because we are from Puerto Rico and we dont now much about MD and the relocation will be effective in winter 09' or spring 2010. please, please HELP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 09:03 AM

Default any help??

Please????

Old 08-19-2008, 09:16 AM

460 posts, read 1,877,165 times
What the heck?? i read this entire thread and responded while watching the Olympics last night and now there is nothing here except the original post?

What happened?

Am i hallucinating or what, I think there were about 10 responses to this person's question.

Sorry, I know I read quite a bit of responses to your initial post. I am leaving for a funeral and don't have time to repost my comment in its entireity but basically you are looking at very high prices, property taxes, commuting times, and overall your current price range will get you most likely a new TH n(MAYBE) or a very old, outdated, small cape cod type single family in a less than safe/desirable neighborhood.

Are you originally from this area/lived here before?/ What city is your husband going to be working in? Are you working to or a stay-at-home mom?

I am still in shock that your entire original thread seems to have been removed from this forum!

Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2moveup View Post
What the heck?? i read this entire thread and responded while watching the Olympics last night and now there is nothing here except the original post?

What happened?

Am i hallucinating or what, I think there were about 10 responses to this person's question.

Sorry, I know I read quite a bit of responses to your initial post. I am leaving for a funeral and don't have time to repost my comment in its entireity but basically you are looking at very high prices, property taxes, commuting times, and overall your current price range will get you most likely a new TH n(MAYBE) or a very old, outdated, small cape cod type single family in a less than safe/desirable neighborhood.

Are you originally from this area/lived here before?/ What city is your husband going to be working in? Are you working to or a stay-at-home mom?

I am still in shock that your entire original thread seems to have been removed from this forum!

I'm sorry I dont know how my post and other person post got mixed together and I can't even find it. But anyway answering your questions

We are originally from Puerto Rico, is our first time living outside our country.
(although in this year we stay from april to july in maryland becuase of my husband work we were staying at oakwood apartments in gaithersburg.)

husbands is going to be working in White Oak Silver Spring and yes I am a stay at home mom. I know SFH are over our budget I dont mind living in a TH as long as long as they are in a nice and safe neighborhood.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:10 PM

770 posts, read 3,681,018 times
You could get a decent home in Severna Park ,MD between 300K-400K. Your husbands commute to work would be about 40 minutes, that is with traffic. SP has an excellent school district, is very safe and has blue ribbon schools.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
You could get a decent home in Severna Park ,MD between 300K-400K. Your husbands commute to work would be about 40 minutes, that is with traffic. SP has an excellent school district, is very safe and has blue ribbon schools.
Severna Park is in what county?

Old 08-19-2008, 04:33 PM

35 posts, read 123,193 times
I've lived in Maryland my whole life, and finally got out because it has become insanely overcrowded and over priced. Gaithersburg was a nice middle class area up until like 15 years ago. It is now a very crime ridden area. Rockville is a decent place to live but the schools are pretty bad unless you can afford private school. Rockville is also very overcrowded now. Frederick,MD still has a bunch of nice neighborhoods and new neighborhoods being built. All the middleclass people that got sick of the crime taking over many areas, and rich people have moved all up to Frederick. That might be too far for your husband to drive though. If you have a lot of money, Potomac and Bethesda are pretty crime free, but very snobbish areas and way over priced. Kennsington is a decent place. Wheaton is pretty run down. The only nice places to live in MD are really expensive. They were talking on one of the radio stations out there how all the blue collar Marylanders were moving out of the state. Im now down here in North Carolina and meet tons and tons of people from Maryland. Like I said, if you got money, you will probably enojy MD, otherwise I would try to head to Frederick or maybe Annapolis. Baltimore is affordable, but it is hit or miss,...there are real nice suburbs and then really bad areas. From what I've heard from friends down in Baltimore is there's still a decent job market.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:46 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2moveup View Post
What happened?
I found it here.
That is why it's a good reason to start a new thread when researching a move.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:37 PM

Ok!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:24 AM

9 posts, read 17,018 times
I agree with "shutdownthefed". I moved from MD to NC and I love it here. But that is not and option for you since you have employment opps in MD. I grew up in Hanover, MD and later moved to Severn Park. I still have I home there that I rent out. Want to rent it!

Consider Howard County.

I can recommend a great MD agent if you would like some help.

I commuted for years to DC and to Gaithersburg. You are going to have traffic no matter what. 495 is a monster. But there are back roads that you can take to if you decide to move to Howard County like Route 29.

Also consider renting for a while. Although it is a great time to buy.

Good luck.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-29-2008 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: advertising
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland