Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:42 AM

27 posts, read 152,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marienith View Post
Hello. recently my husband accepted a job offer in MD and we dont have an idea of were to live because I have read in this forum so much bad things about the areas we were considering that right now we are clueless. the areas we have in mind were.

1. Germantown. leaman farm new TH by Craftmark. IS THE COMMUTE REALLY BAD TO WHITE OAK SS (new hamphsire ave) my husband will go at 6:00am and off work at 4:00pm

2. Gaithersburg. Hidden Creek TH. But with all i have read in this forum is definetely off the list

3. Silver Spring. White hall square new TH by N/V (1513 Regent Manor Court Silver Spring, MD 20904 ) is it a really bad neigborhood. How are the schoools.

4. Howard County. we were looking elkridge, hanover and columbia. any of them good?

We have 2 boys (3 and 1 years) and our price range is from 300k to 400k (450k if we sell our house). please I need help because we are from Puerto Rico and we dont now much about MD and the relocation will be effective in winter 09' or spring 2010. please, please HELP!!!!
I'm guessing your husband got a job at the new FDA headquarters in Silver Spring, I would suggest buying around that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 01:37 PM

24 posts, read 42,608 times
Severna Park is in Anne Arundel County, a very nice county overall. It's very close to Annapolis, the state capital.

You might also consider Odenton and Severn in that county. Nice places to live, with easy access to highways for commuting. Severna Park is not that convenient for commuters.

A lot of people who work in the DC area choose to live in Baltimore and train it. Silver Spring is on the Metro line, so it would be very accessible via Marc to Union Station to Metro. I live near Halethorpe, and trust me, the Marc station is within walking distance and well used by DC bound commuters.

Also look at Takoma Park. Might be out of your price range, but it's situated nicely for a short drive to Silver Spring.

Good luck!

Old 09-11-2008, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,533 times
I worked at White Oak when the Navy was there. I commuted from College Park (~5 minutes, but not good for children) and from dunkirk MD (~40 minutes, rural area great for children).

My suggestion to you would be to look North up New Hampshire Avenue until you find a community you like.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:21 PM

17 posts, read 62,617 times
I also worked at White Oak (NOL, NSWC) and lived (still do) in the "Northwood Village" area of Silver Spring. Commute was all of five minutes, going the opposite direction of the heavy traffic. If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought in the Woodmoor area of Silver Spring, just on the other side of Colesville Road (Rt. 29) from Northwood. It is so nice to be close to work; makes living here more tolerable.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 15,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marienith View Post
I'm sorry I dont know how my post and other person post got mixed together and I can't even find it. But anyway answering your questions

We are originally from Puerto Rico, is our first time living outside our country.
(although in this year we stay from april to july in maryland becuase of my husband work we were staying at oakwood apartments in gaithersburg.)

husbands is going to be working in White Oak Silver Spring and yes I am a stay at home mom. I know SFH are over our budget I dont mind living in a TH as long as long as they are in a nice and safe neighborhood.
Might as well be..

Old 09-17-2008, 01:16 PM

658 posts, read 1,785,560 times
If your husband will be working in White Oak, I would start looking in the Colesville-Silver Spring area that is north of White Oak. I believe the zip codes are 20904 and 20905. Burtonsville is another option.

If you want to live in Howard County, I would highly recommend Columbia-it's a planned community that is conveniently located.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:19 PM

19 posts, read 69,591 times
i would even consider the fulton/scaggsville area, just north of rocky gorge. closer than columbia, but nicer and newer than burtonsville, IMO.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 PM

7 posts, read 45,776 times
Marienith, Here is some irony. My son-in-law may be transferred to San Juan PR in 2009. He is a coastie and I was wondering if you knew where the base was located. He and my daughter have a little one and she is a respiratory therapist. Maybe you know where the closest hospital is to the Coast Guard base is and what the cost of living there would be. You probably already know that the miliatary is just above the poverty level in wages, so they would have to watch every penny.

Last edited by Vangail; 09-23-2008 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: mispell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland