Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:26 AM

109 posts, read 341,848 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about starting graduate school at U of MD in Fall 2009. I will be living in Forest Hill, MD in Harford County.

Mapquest says I have to do all my driving on I-95. Would there be a quicker way?

Is there a way to take a public transportation for a portion of that commute?

I'm a little mystified as to why Maryland put their main college campus in the least accessible area of the state, for MD residents, but whatever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 05:22 PM

Nobody? Forest Hill is in northern Harford County.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:30 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,810,192 times
Default College Park history

GinnyFavers --Here is the history of how UM happened to be located in College Park, Montgomery County. In brief, it started as an agricultural college.
Now, is there any special reason for you to go to UM/College Park? Because the university has also a campus in Catonsville, Baltimore County, which would be immensely closer to Forest Hill. UMBC is well-regarded, often said to be better than College Park. Another campus is located in the city, but it focuses on medical, nursing and social work.
You might want to google for The University of Maryland System. Basically explains all the other affiliated universities, which are mostly located in the Baltimore area.

University of Maryland, College Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 PM

Default Commute

I'm afraid to tell you that Forest Hill to College Park is a commute I personally would not like. It's long and gets congested the closer you get to College Park.
There might be a way to get to College Park from Baltimore by using public transportation, but I cannot think of any, except for the MARC commuter train from Camden Station to College Park. But using that in your situation seems seklf-defeating, marking the commute even longer and difficult. You would have to find expensive parking downtown near the station or find a suburban station, where parking is nowhere in sight. Then you would have to figure out a way to get to your classes on time from the CP station. Forget it.
The only way is to drive, with all the wear and tear it involves.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:24 PM

15 posts, read 239,693 times
i drive from south baltimore to just outside college park for work everyday and let me tell you...it sucks.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:29 AM

44 posts, read 271,716 times
All of my friends that went to College Park that lived in Baltimore (closer than you) lived in the dorms there and came home on weekends. You do NOT want to drive that everyday.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
Now, is there any special reason for you to go to UM/College Park?
University of Maryland, College Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Unfortunately, yes, I can only go to that campus, as I would be enrolling in their Masters in Library Science program, and working as a Graduate Assistant for the duration, to pay for my tuition.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
I'm afraid to tell you that Forest Hill to College Park is a commute I personally would not like. It's long and gets congested the closer you get to College Park.
There might be a way to get to College Park from Baltimore by using public transportation, but I cannot think of any, except for the MARC commuter train from Camden Station to College Park. But using that in your situation seems seklf-defeating, marking the commute even longer and difficult. You would have to find expensive parking downtown near the station or find a suburban station, where parking is nowhere in sight. Then you would have to figure out a way to get to your classes on time from the CP station. Forget it.
The only way is to drive, with all the wear and tear it involves.
I thought that the MARC trains also went North, beyond Baltimore. Why would they need to park in Baltimore? I have no clue and am just wondering.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:38 AM

Because College Park is not on the MARC main line which connects with Harford County. Instead it is on Camden line which starts from the station near the ballparks and has no connection to the north.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:24 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Because College Park is not on the MARC main line which connects with Harford County. Instead it is on Camden line which starts from the station near the ballparks and has no connection to the north.
Thanks for that. I like to know stuff like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland