Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:50 AM

512 posts, read 1,636,092 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I'm writing this thread to see who exactly likes living in Prince George's County. My wife and I live in Waldorf right now and quite frankly it's getting too crowded. I wanted to know which part of P.G. is pretty good and has decent schools. I'm thinking about moving and I had P.G. on my list.

Pluses - I find living in P.G. is close to D.C. plenty of shopping centers and at various locations and the houses aren't ridiculously expensive like they use to be.

My Con's- the Schools, high taxes, and higher crime rate than Charles County.

I grew up in PG, but I kinda wanted to get an idea of what people really like and dislike about the county, and whether they are satisfied with living in the county. This thread will kinda help me to determine, whether I need to stay in Waldorf, or actually consider moving back into P.G. So plug away

Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 AM

932 posts, read 1,677,536 times
I love living in Upper Marlboro. Right now I live in Philly until I graduate but on the weekends I crave to come home. During the spring and summet its just so calm and relaxing. I think that if your looking for a safe place to live in PG you should consider Upper Marlboro or Ft. Washington. They both have nice homes and are relatively safe. My grandparents have lived in the same house since my mother was in high school and they have experienced no crime and neither have I.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:36 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,057 times
Wow, you usually here about people moving to Charles County from PG. It's interesting to hear someone wanting to move back to PG. You should try College Park/Greenbelt/Beltsville/Seabrook, Largo/Mitchelville, Bowie, or Upper Marlboro. Many people have unfairly made PG synonymous with crime, but it's not as bad as they say. I grew up in Mitchelville (Lake Arbor) in the 90's, and don't even remember hearing anything much about crime. Although, since I left I haven't been hearing to many good things, although I still wouldn't recommend against living there.

Fort Washington is extremely exclusive (one of the very few places in the country with a median income over $100,000), but it's surrounded by some of PG's worst communities in terms of crime. Generally I would avoid Southwest PG (Suitland, Oxon Hills, Temple Hills), and anywhere too near the DC border. As I mentioned above, Bowie and Largo (which are relatively expensive places to live, even for the DC area) are nice. I think Greenbelt would be the perfect balance of location, low-moderate crime, access to transportation (right off I-95/495, plus Metro and MARC), and quality of life. Northern PG overall isn't too bad, just remember not to venture too close to the DC border (Hyattsville, Langley Park, even Riverdale). Further out Laurel, which is located in Howard, PG, Anne Arundel, and Montgomery Counties, is pretty nice as well.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:04 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,554,950 times
I've lived in PG my whole life. I can't say I "love" it, but its what I know. I've never had a problem living here and haven't experienced any major crime. My kids did well in the schools and ended up with great SAT scores. The school system does have its issues, but if a student applies her/his self, they can get a good education. There are always teachers who will go that extra mile to bring out the potential in a motivated student.

I live in Laurel and find that it has its good and bad areas just as any other place, but overall I feel safe here and enjoy a little bit of the small town feel I get from living in the historic district.

I can't say PG is for everyone, but there are some who like to call it home.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:02 AM

Very interesting, in that there are three comments here. I betcha if this was other counties people would be pouring out praises. Thanks for the people who have responded. It's got to be more folks who enjoy living in the county.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:09 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
I do like the overall qualify of life I have in PG. Where I live is quiet and attractive, and I like that there are still trees, a few rural areas and a lot of scenic areas in the county. I have not been victimized by any real crime to date, in eight years. I can get most of what I need in the county, although I am finding most of the medical and dental care to be a bit questionable. There are quite a few activities here for children, especially through the parks and recreation dept. A pretty good life overall.

But I am having a real problem right now with the disparity of quality in the public schools, and how poorly special education children are served (especially if such children happen to be gifted, or twice exceptional). While I really like and defend PG, had I known I would have a child in need of special education, I would have moved to another county with more services and more respect for special needs kids. When I first moved here, I figured I'd just place my children in private schools. Then I saw that a regular private school could not accommodate my special needs child. My other child attended a private preschool, and I learned that even with private schools, there is a disparity in quality (even if they all charge beaucoup money). Oversized classes, not enough one-to-one attention, the possibility that with the school's breakneck pace, your child may not be learning as much as you think he or she is -- all of these are issues that private school parents need to be aware of in PG. Everywhere you turn, there is a private school opened or planned here, but they are not all created equal. Because of the economy, I have chosen for now to have my youngest in public school, at least for this year and next year. I have mixed feelings about the results. She is learning and happy, but I think she has the aptitude to learn more. For now, I wait, see and monitor my children's progress. And I am exploring some summer enrichment opportunities.

More than you asked for, OP, but there it is!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:50 AM

Thanks Bowian. Hmmmmm that puts things into a different perspective. While I really don't know how much better Charles County is than P.G. it makes me wonder if it is worth moving my child out of a good school.

One thing I've noticed on Great Schools, is that Charles County has a lot of 3-5 rated schools. My child's school is rated a 3 and my wife and I have been pleased with the teachers. Of course she is only in Kindergarten, so we shall see what happens when she hits first grade.

Maybe I have been a little selfish in trying to move closer to my job. Maybe it's best that I stay in Charles county. I don't know. I just always felt that while P.G. had it's problems, that it was a perfectly livable community. Growing up P.G. always had a negative rep with the school system. Heck I graduated from Surrattsville High school and I turned out fine. Anyway enough of my rant.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman1981 View Post
Thanks Bowian. Hmmmmm that puts things into a different perspective. While I really don't know how much better Charles County is than P.G. it makes me wonder if it is worth moving my child out of a good school.

One thing I've noticed on Great Schools, is that Charles County has a lot of 3-5 rated schools. My child's school is rated a 3 and my wife and I have been pleased with the teachers. Of course she is only in Kindergarten, so we shall see what happens when she hits first grade.

Maybe I have been a little selfish in trying to move closer to my job. Maybe it's best that I stay in Charles county. I don't know. I just always felt that while P.G. had it's problems, that it was a perfectly livable community. Growing up P.G. always had a negative rep with the school system. Heck I graduated from Surrattsville High school and I turned out fine. Anyway enough of my rant.
Oh, no! Now other posters will say that I turned you off to PG! Didn't mean to do that. Actually, PG is very liveable for me and many others. But I think the problems with the schools is NOT an inability to teach academics. I think something else is getting in the way, and I can't put my finger on it. Some of it is probably lack of parental involvement, in fact, more definitely than probably. Not enough parents demand better of both the schools and their kids. Most of the really involved parents are going to take the private school route. The involved ones who stick with the public schools are not enough to help effect real change. Another issue is the way the schools are run, and not having enough good programs. Good programs are far and few between, accessible by lottery or being a sibling of a lucky lottery winner. Don't get me started on special ed., because then someone will have to explain to me why the county doesn't take the tens of thousands of dollars that it spends per student (sending kids to non-public placements) and create good to excellent special ed programs in the county.

I spent a few years in a PG public school myself. The quality of the academics weren't the problem. If you have a bright child or a child eager to learn, I have seen teachers in PG who love that and are more than willing to provide some advanced work and to help the child. But the bullying and disruptive children were a major problem. There were some less-than-good teachers and administrators, but you'll find good and bad anywhere.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:01 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,532 times
I enjoy Prince george's County, irregardless of what others may think about the area. I am also no fool, and like Bowian I long for the day when Prince George's County will be on par with the following services/amenities:

Education: This is number 1 for me, the county school system HAS to do better at retaininig competent teachers, school leadership, faculties, facilitating active parental involvement, etc! This is paramount to success, and can lay the foundation for generations.

Crime: This is what it is, unfortunatley when you have poverty, depression, untreated mental illness, job less ness, substance abuse, coupled with distrust in law enforcement and easy access to weapons, drug and alcohol you are bound to have crime. I think that this ties in with education or the lack thereof. All communities nationwide, from Beverly Hills to Bronx IMO need to do better at securing our streets, starting @ home with your own kids. How can I check the police, policy makers, government, etc when I can't even keep my own kids in check?

Now onto a few of the good things:

Pride in Community: I always get this, now whether this is a result of being an person amongst others of the same socioeconomic background, or maybe I just like seeing folks do good for themselves, I always get a great sense of pride from residents taking pride in their families, households, educations, etc (it can be as small as picking up trash in the neighborhood, to maintaining a nice clean, cut yard). To me, their is more of that in this county than anywhere else in the metro area (with exception to certain neighborhoods in DC and Baltimore)

Commute Distance/Proximity to DC: It says a whole lot when you can be to a number of destinations within a matter of minutes. From Downtown DC, to the Annapolis Waterfront, to NOVA, etc with out packing a survival pack to do so, speaks volumes.

It feels good: It feels good to see folks in the area doing more for themselves, and opening up businesses, or spending time with their kids, or whatever. It feels good to see it, but many don't, hence a lot of the judgement.

Small town feel: Jay1981, I didnt go to Surrattsville, but I did go to Friendly, Gwynn Park Middle, and Ft. Washington Forest. There is nothing like running into somebody who knows someone, who knows you. Prince George's County is a small town in the truest essence of the word. I guarantee, there is someone whom I know, who you may have at least heard of (from sports, to neighborghoods, etc). It never ceases to amaze that whenever I am out, my wife or I will see someone who we knew from yesteryear.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 PM

Good points. I've always felt that parental efforts and high expectation, pushes a child to success not just merely going to a "highley rated school". That is the cause with my childs current school. It's not a highly rated school. In fact it is a title I school (school tested low just encase you don't know what that is). Please people do not be fooled in thinking that Charles County school system will save your kids. They have to deal with the same stuff that P.G. county kids have to deal with, just to a lesser degree. i.e. Gangs, drugs and inappropriate conduct. It's a lot to think about, but I'll make an informed decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Oh, no! Now other posters will say that I turned you off to PG! Didn't mean to do that. Actually, PG is very liveable for me and many others. But I think the problems with the schools is NOT an inability to teach academics. I think something else is getting in the way, and I can't put my finger on it. Some of it is probably lack of parental involvement, in fact, more definitely than probably. Not enough parents demand better of both the schools and their kids. Most of the really involved parents are going to take the private school route. The involved ones who stick with the public schools are not enough to help effect real change. Another issue is the way the schools are run, and not having enough good programs. Good programs are far and few between, accessible by lottery or being a sibling of a lucky lottery winner. Don't get me started on special ed., because then someone will have to explain to me why the county doesn't take the tens of thousands of dollars that it spends per student (sending kids to non-public placements) and create good to excellent special ed programs in the county.

I spent a few years in a PG public school myself. The quality of the academics weren't the problem. If you have a bright child or a child eager to learn, I have seen teachers in PG who love that and are more than willing to provide some advanced work and to help the child. But the bullying and disruptive children were a major problem. There were some less-than-good teachers and administrators, but you'll find good and bad anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland