Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,379 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a home soon with my young family and am considering lower montgomery county or the hyattsville area. I'm curious if anyone has feedback on Northwestern High School or a comparison of MoCo and PG county schools? Obviously MoCo has a great reputation, but I'm looking for real parents' experiences with the schools, beyond test scores.

High school is a ways off for us (we have a toddler and one on the way) but we'd like to be able to stay put for a while so we're looking ahead.

We've read some reports of gang activity at Northwestern. Is this a prevalent problem? Is the same true at, for example, Wheaton or Blair high schools?

Thanks in advance,

Carrie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 06:05 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riesmo View Post
I'm looking to purchase a home soon with my young family and am considering lower montgomery county or the hyattsville area. I'm curious if anyone has feedback on Northwestern High School or a comparison of MoCo and PG county schools? Obviously MoCo has a great reputation, but I'm looking for real parents' experiences with the schools, beyond test scores.

High school is a ways off for us (we have a toddler and one on the way) but we'd like to be able to stay put for a while so we're looking ahead.

We've read some reports of gang activity at Northwestern. Is this a prevalent problem? Is the same true at, for example, Wheaton or Blair high schools?

Thanks in advance,

Carrie
Maryland Schools - Find a Public or Private Maryland School - SchoolDigger.com

Old 03-29-2011, 04:19 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
I don't know much about Northwestern. We have kids at Quince Orchard which is a very good school.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:05 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,838 times
Northwestern is a newer/pretty nice high school. It's not as good academically as Quince orchard or other Montgomery County schools, but Northwestern is one of the nicer schools in P.G. Nice looking facility and pretty good magnet programs

Old 03-30-2011, 02:03 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
I was thinking of Northwestern in Germantown. Is there one in PG too.

We moved here because we just couldn't put our kids in Middle and High School in PG. Elementary was okay, though.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:03 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
I live down the street from Northwestern (In PG). I haven't heard anything about gang activity there.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I live down the street from Northwestern (In PG). I haven't heard anything about gang activity there.
Then you don't know what to look for. Elements of MS 13, Bloods and Crips have been identified there along with the local "crews" based in MD and DC. Either that or the training I go to is filled with misinformation.

Md. MS-13 gang member gets 60 years in prison | Scott McCabe | Maryland | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/maryland/2009/05/md-ms-13-gang-member-gets-60-years-prison - broken link)

POLICE Magazine (Current Issue)

Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Then you don't know what to look for. Elements of MS 13, Bloods and Crips have been identified there along with the local "crews" based in MD and DC. Either that or the training I go to is filled with misinformation.

Md. MS-13 gang member gets 60 years in prison | Scott McCabe | Maryland | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/maryland/2009/05/md-ms-13-gang-member-gets-60-years-prison - broken link)

POLICE Magazine (Current Issue)

I guess the real issue is whether or not their presence is a danger to other students. If they are just members, but aren't threatening to students, then I guess you can say that it's a non-issue. Although I don't monitor weekly gang activity or arrests.

I would also assume that Montgomery County has the same gang issue.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:13 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Wow, I don't think it bodes well for any school when the pressing question is

"Are the known gang affiliates actually threatening to other students or not?"

Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Wow, I don't think it bodes well for any school when the pressing question is

"Are the known gang affiliates actually threatening to other students or not?"

I've seen countless stories about MS-13. They are in Montgomery County Northern, VA as well as PG. So, it's the lesser of two evils. Chances are, you're going to have gang members in these schools. Is it better for them to be "active" while in school preventing students from learning? Or "dormant" while in school learning like every other student? Also, I would guess the more violent ones aren't in school anyway.

More importantly, what about bullying? That issues faces every single school in the country regardless of gangs.

The best thing would be to actually visit the school, take a tour and talk with the staff to get an idea. Some will be brutally honest and actually suggest that you put your kid in private school. Others will try not to paint such a horrible picture, but give you an optimistic opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland