Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:19 PM

135 posts, read 606,080 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone who has posted in this thread a person who was born in Africa then migrated to America and obtained U.S. citizenship? I believe that would qualify you as an African American. If not your just an American who is black. Next time you are asked your race on a form throw them curve ball, check the box that says "other" and then write HUMAN on the line provided. The quicker we began to think of all people as part of the human race the quicker so many problems can begin to be solved.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:27 PM

217 posts, read 752,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973 Forced Busing View Post
Is there anyone who has posted in this thread a person who was born in Africa then migrated to America and obtained U.S. citizenship? I believe that would qualify you as an African American. If not your just an American who is black. Next time you are asked your race on a form throw them curve ball, check the box that says "other" and then write HUMAN on the line provided. The quicker we began to think of all people as part of the human race the quicker so many problems can begin to be solved.
HEEHEEHAHAHA!
I lived in Africa for 3 years - Tripoli, Libya - on the Mediterranean coast. My youngest sister was born there.
Lots of people forget Africa has a northern border and don't realize Egypt is part of the continent. Yep, it's all there on a map.
Go look.
Libya - Google Maps

Old 01-30-2008, 07:05 PM

350 posts, read 1,646,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973 Forced Busing View Post
Hee hee- I'm white, can I cross off caucasian and write human too???

Old 01-30-2008, 08:16 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy0780 View Post
Hee hee- I'm white, can I cross off caucasian and write human too???
Absolutely!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 PM

144 posts, read 630,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
RFMD, since you're in agreement. How would you analyze and describe poverty? Certinaly it must have nothing to do with your race. Many of blacks grew up in the rural south extremely poor in the 1930's and went on, because of correct choices to get bachelors, masters, and PHD's. Now, there were clealry many a black folks around, that choose not to make the same choices those blacks did in life, so their outcomes are probably not as good and fortunate as these blacks were, so i'd be interested to hear you share with me why poverty does not boil down to generations of poor choice makers.

My second question would be in relation to you. How many people in the "hood" you grew up in turned out as well as you? How many of them consitently made bad choices and are now PHD's? How many of them consistently made good choices and are still dealing drugs?

Now let me ask the question this way.

1. How many of them made bad choices and are drug dealrs or living with their mom?

2. How many of them made good choices and are now supporting themselves?

I bet you notice a glaring difference.

I'm just trying to point out a few things before you go into a diatribe about racism, government, and a host of excuses as to why poor people remain poor.

My final question would be in reference to your last sentence "I think you can easily breakdown the psychology here."

What psychology are you referring to and could you please break it down I eagerly await your reponse.

Okay seriously last question and i'll come back to this if you so choose to answer it.

When your tooth aches do you ignore it, hope that it will go away on its on, make up excuses as to why it aches or why it should go away, or do you face the fact you have a tooth problem, and deal with it? (By obviously going to the dentist etc.)
There is a great deal I can say but will not get into as this would be an effort in futility. I don't want to waste your time and certainly I don't want you to waste my time with pointless dialogue.

Briefly psychologically it is very much evident that you have the truth, the truth you have is absolute and it hurts when you convey it hence your new forum name. Anybody with a different viewpoint or whose predicament in life differs from yours is stupid, liberal, a black militant, lazy, playing the role of a victim and all the other rubber stamp republican labeling that you apply to others who don't have this truth that you happen to have a monopoly on.

Again I really don't want to elaborate much more with this and other issues as I stated it would be a waste of time. I feel you have some valid points in your discussion that I can agree upon however I don't agree with your philosophical views from a broader standpoint.

As long as you know your truth is not my truth Your sentiments are not my sentiments and hopefully you can respect all who come on this forum with differing view points.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:01 PM

6 posts, read 27,972 times
Default A Sincere but stern Message to Iscalder

I just stumbled across this forum as my family and I are planning to relocate from the Philly area to PG County in the next year or so. We love it down there. Growing up in Philly, I was amazed to come to MD and see African-Americans living in fabulous communities-together. I live in an upper class community in the burbs but as in most cities you dont typically have people that look like you or your children as neighbors. I know that there are issues with crime, schools etc. everywhere, but trust me, consider yourselves fortunate down there in PG. We are looking at the Waterford community in Bowie. Cant wait to move. Now on to my real point...

Iscalder, please try to recieve my message without being defensive. This is an anonymous board therefore no one knows you. Clearly you have some good points and I am sure that you are very bright. I actually admire your passion for PG. However, somewhere along the line, educationally, you missed some things. Your grammar and spelling are atrocious. This is not something that spell check can fix. You constantly use the word "have" when you should use "has" and you do the same with words such as "is" and "are" as well as "do" and "does". I am in my 30's and at 23 I never wrote like that. I don't think I wrote/spoke like that at 12. I am pretty certain that your writing is indicative of the way you speak. I am telling you this so that you can get some assistance. I am sure that there are countless programs that are available to you in MD. You really need to have some basic or perhaps remedial english/grammar classes. You mentioned that you have a 2 yr old...that child is undoubtedly picking up your speech habits. Please help your self so that you can help your child.

You need to represent yourself, your county & your people better than you are today. Why give ammunition to some of the people on this board that you believe to be racist?

I assure you, no matter what image you think you are portraying on this board, most who have read your posts have a totally different view of you. No need to inflate your accomplishments, we all had to start somewhere. And 23 (if you really are 23) is a good place to start. I'll be the first to say, that I doubt very seriously that you have a successful business that generates a 6 figure income. I remember in the early days of my career, losing out on an major opportunity because of a minor typo on a proposal. There is no way, with your presentation in print, that any reputable organization big or small would do business with you. Perhaps you stretched the truth a bit?? I could be wrong but I dont think so.

I am being tough because I can see a promising sister who needs some tweaking. It took a business woman in her 30's to point out a grammatical faux pas that I had as an 18 yr old college student. I thank her for that. Please spend less time trying to convince people about your Mortgage/medical billing/investment property/medical office practice company and more time investing in your own self improvement. If you take heed to this admonishment, you'll thank me one day.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:15 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,317,534 times
^ I have a feeling you're likely on the money with your assessment. This ought to be interesting.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:06 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEOMOM View Post
I just stumbled across this forum as my family and I are planning to relocate from the Philly area to PG County in the next year or so. We love it down there. Growing up in Philly, I was amazed to come to MD and see African-Americans living in fabulous communities-together. I live in an upper class community in the burbs but as in most cities you dont typically have people that look like you or your children as neighbors. I know that there are issues with crime, schools etc. everywhere, but trust me, consider yourselves fortunate down there in PG. We are looking at the Waterford community in Bowie. Cant wait to move. Now on to my real point...

Iscalder, please try to recieve my message without being defensive. This is an anonymous board therefore no one knows you. Clearly you have some good points and I am sure that you are very bright. I actually admire your passion for PG. However, somewhere along the line, educationally, you missed some things. Your grammar and spelling are atrocious. This is not something that spell check can fix. You constantly use the word "have" when you should use "has" and you do the same with words such as "is" and "are" as well as "do" and "does". I am in my 30's and at 23 I never wrote like that. I don't think I wrote/spoke like that at 12. I am pretty certain that your writing is indicative of the way you speak. I am telling you this so that you can get some assistance. I am sure that there are countless programs that are available to you in MD. You really need to have some basic or perhaps remedial english/grammar classes. You mentioned that you have a 2 yr old...that child is undoubtedly picking up your speech habits. Please help your self so that you can help your child.

You need to represent yourself, your county & your people better than you are today. Why give ammunition to some of the people on this board that you believe to be racist?

I assure you, no matter what image you think you are portraying on this board, most who have read your posts have a totally different view of you. No need to inflate your accomplishments, we all had to start somewhere. And 23 (if you really are 23) is a good place to start. I'll be the first to say, that I doubt very seriously that you have a successful business that generates a 6 figure income. I remember in the early days of my career, losing out on an major opportunity because of a minor typo on a proposal. There is no way, with your presentation in print, that any reputable organization big or small would do business with you. Perhaps you stretched the truth a bit?? I could be wrong but I dont think so.

I am being tough because I can see a promising sister who needs some tweaking. It took a business woman in her 30's to point out a grammatical faux pas that I had as an 18 yr old college student. I thank her for that. Please spend less time trying to convince people about your Mortgage/medical billing/investment property/medical office practice company and more time investing in your own self improvement. If you take heed to this admonishment, you'll thank me one day.
I am not here to prove anything to anyone. I do type fast. I am a very successful young female. In my opinion age, education has nothing to do with it. It’s your drive. I do think what have been holding back a lot of African American is people telling, at 30 you should start embarking on your career. Why 30? Why not 20? Now the wealthiest people in the world can not speak English. When working with Doctors I do look at their finances such as their gross income per month/yr and to tell you the truth the average makes around 100k running a solo practice while if they had the chance to look at my income I think they would fire me. I have no reason to make nothing up. I am not a story teller. People who are older I consider then old school they do things the old way. In this century I have seen 18yr old become self made millionaires. In this century 16yrs are becoming millionaires. At 23 I live the lifestyle as a 30yr old. I have the career, house/family/friends/income. I remember at 19yrs old when I first got into the Real Estate industry, I felt as If I had to prove myself to others. I had to work harder/better then others so I can be taken seriously but now I am at the point in my life that my accomplishments speak for it self. I no longer prove anything to others I have the life that most people at 30 yrs old want.

When I read your post it does not matter me at all. You remind me of those earlier in my career who thought long people do not need a career until they are 30 or older. I was going to ask well if you do not believe me do you need names and numbers to my doctor clients/Mortgage clients such as realtors or homebuyers or do should I give you my website so you can check it out so you can see that I am 100% real in what I say or should I send you pictures of my home just the outside but I thought about it. I no longer need
to prove things to those older then me. Its hard been young and successful because I do feel as if my neighbors think of me as this young female who do not deserve to live in this community as if their is an age limit to success.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:08 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEOMOM View Post

As a former resident of the city of Bowie, I am sure that you will find that you and your family will be very welcomed, I lived in Bowie for over 20 years and you will find it a very diverse city, I still own two houses in Prince George's County and I am a native Prince Georgen and a member of one of the oldest respected families in the county, so let me be among the first to welcome you. Unfortunately I am afraid that your message to Iscalder is more than likely going to fall upon deaf ears, and that is a shame, I'm sure that if she were to go back and read some of the posts that she has put here or throughout this form she may realize that there is such a thing as constructive criticism, and that she needs to very seriously pay attention to some of it, I'm sure she means well, but she needs to be able to articulate that in a very professional manner. It makes no difference what your ethnicity is, if you cannot project your intentions in a professional manner nobody's going to listen and I do not think that she has been able to grasp that. Again let me welcome you to Prince George's County and the city of Bowie.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 27,972 times
Ptsum thanks for your welcome. We are still about a year or less away from relocating to PG. I wish I could move there today. Looking forward to meeting some great folks down there. Unfortunately, you were on point regarding my message falling on deaf ears.

Iscalder, what the heck are you talking about? I mean I dont think that there was one relevant thought in your post. I really do feel sorry for you. I gave a disclaimer to you that I hoped would keep you from being too defensive. I guess I was wrong. Please read your last post again. Do you not see that you need some help? This is not about typing fast and you know it. Why don't you have some of the wonderful friends and family of whom you speak, read your posts. If they are so wonderful, they will tell you the truth.

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt- Perhaps you feel that you have to save face here on this message board and thats why you continue to be defensive...I am just going to assume that on Monday you will quietly find the nearest community college or high school and enroll in some adult learning class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland