Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 03:48 PM

38 posts, read 123,213 times

Advertisements

I will be starting a new job in Silver Spring. Being alone in DC (as a mid-aged professional), I am looking for a decent studio/small apt to live. Since I'll likely fly in and out of DC on a weekly basis, I am considering to live very close to a metro station so I can directly access the airport by subways (and leave my car behind). I am considering either Takome, Silver Spring or Forest Glen stations on the Red Line, OR Prince George's Plaza, College Park, or Greenbelt stations on the Green Line. Which area is generally regarded as safer and nicer? I would appreciate any advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 04:34 PM

25 posts, read 133,147 times
The Red line is nicer and I would recommend all three of the red line locations over p.g plaza and greenbelt. College Park right by the metro maybe, but I would still prefer the red line.

What is your budget?

What airport will you be flying out of? Public transit to BWI and Dulles require either metro to bus or metro to train (BWI). Only National is right on the metro. If you are flying out of Dulles I don't think that public transportation from MD will be very fun.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:11 PM

38 posts, read 123,213 times
Thanks Anglo.
From what I understand, a studio in Silver Spring near metro may be around $1200-1300 a month, which is OK with me (I prefer of course to pay less, but don't really want to sacrifice safety) . Are there substantial differences among the three red line stops in terms of neighborhood quality?

I will mostly use DCA for getting in/out of DC.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:14 AM

25 posts, read 133,147 times
The difference is not so much in safety but in feel. Downtown Silver Spring is very urban and built up. Takoma Park, particularly old town is funky. The area by Forest Glen is suburban. I would say the safety is about a wash. The red line is fine for a Reagan commute, except when you have to go really late at night or early in the morning

Old 05-22-2009, 07:59 AM

245 posts, read 1,171,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsham View Post
I will be starting a new job in Silver Spring. Being alone in DC (as a mid-aged professional), I am looking for a decent studio/small apt to live. Since I'll likely fly in and out of DC on a weekly basis, I am considering to live very close to a metro station so I can directly access the airport by subways (and leave my car behind). I am considering either Takome, Silver Spring or Forest Glen stations on the Red Line, OR Prince George's Plaza, College Park, or Greenbelt stations on the Green Line. Which area is generally regarded as safer and nicer? I would appreciate any advise.
You can find a very nice apartment near the Silver Spring or Forest Glen Metro Station......please don't even consider COLLEGE PARK,GREENBELT,PG OR TAKOMA PARK.....Silver Spring is more upscale and Forest Glen a bit suburban but really nice

Last edited by NEWTOSFLA; 05-22-2009 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: add more info

Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
You can find a very nice apartment near the Silver Spring or Forest Glen Metro Station......please don't even consider COLLEGE PARK,GREENBELT,PG OR TAKOMA PARK.....Silver Spring is more upscale and Forest Glen a bit suburban but really nice
Hey....go back to Weston/Parkland/Davie/Coral Springs and hang....

Old 06-08-2009, 10:29 AM

434 posts, read 1,117,913 times
I really must object to the previous poster who steered you away from College Park, Greenbelt, PG (County) or Takoma Park.

We live in University Park, which is located in Prince George's County. My husband travels a great deal and finds it fairly easy to get to BWI or DCA. Different parts of University Park are about a mile from the Prince George's Plaza Metro Station or about a mile from the College Park metro station depending on where you live. When my husband flies out of DCA he walks to the PG Plaza metro and takes the metro to DCA. When he flies out of BWI he walks to the PG Plaza metro, takes the metro to Greenbelt and then the BWI bus to BWI. He prefers flying out of BWI - finds it is typically a quicker trip over all.

Other neighborhoods/developments with easy proximity to the green line stations you reference are:
University Town Center apartments: near PG Plaza metro
College Park: south College Park is near the College Park Metro, north College Park is near the Greenbelt metro
Berwyn Heights is not very convenient to either metro.

In all of these areas (and frankly anywhere in the DC metro region) you're going to have petty crime, like car break-ins. So I wouldn't take anybody's word for it that a particular area is safe or unsafe. Look at the specifics of the crime statistics.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
What's wrong with College Park, Greenbelt et al? Silver Spring may be more expensive, but not all of it is more upscale. Greenbelt is one of the nicest areas to live in Maryland, and College Park isn't bad either. Granted I would live in Silver Spring if all areas cost the same to live in. Takoma Park borders Silver Spring, I used to commute there, and it's a nice community. The only community above I would try to steer clear of is PG Plaza since it may look nice, but the crime isn't worth it.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 AM

Hey cpterp, watch it. I live 1 mile from PG Plaza and my house is worth over 500K !!! But agreed, the garden style apratment complexes IMMEDIATELY to the north and east of PG Plaza are probably not wise choices.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper105 View Post
the garden style apratment complexes IMMEDIATELY to the north and east of PG Plaza
oops - meant to say that the garden style apartment complexes to the north and WEST of PG Plaza are likely not the safest of areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland