Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 PM

741 posts, read 1,113,410 times

Advertisements

The recommended changes, submitted to Congress today, would apply inside and outside the L'Enfant City.

Inside L'Enfant city:

80 ft wide street = 100 ft height limit
110 ft wide street = 137.5 ft height limit (Example: 14th St downtown, K St downtown)
120 ft wide street = 150 ft height limit
130 ft wide street = 162.5 ft height limit (Example: North Capitol St)
160 ft wide street = 200 ft height limit (Example: Pennsylvania Ave downtown between 3rd & 15th St)

Outside L'Enfant city:

DC recommends letting DC determine building height maximums through the city's Comprehensive Plan and zoning processes.

View the report below:
http://assets.bizjournals.com/washin...t%20Report.pdf

Article:
D.C. proposes major changes to the Height Act - Washington Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 06:59 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,358 times
GOOD. We need to get rid of this silly height limit.. at least in areas not close to the mall.

But those heights are still too short. Also, there should be no limit at all once you're a good distance from the mall.. like Van Ness, New York Avenue, Adams Morgan and Columbia Heights should have no limit at all.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:18 PM

137 posts, read 252,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
GOOD. We need to get rid of this silly height limit.. at least in areas not close to the mall.

But those heights are still too short. Also, there should be no limit at all once you're a good distance from the mall.. like Van Ness, New York Avenue, Adams Morgan and Columbia Heights should have no limit at all.
That's ridiculous. You can't just have 50 story buildings shooting up in the middle of Adams Morgan without it destroying the visual integrity of the neighborhood.

What makes the most sense is a tiered system that allows for increasing height as you reach the borders of D.C. That way the difference between bordering neighborhoods will be largely unnoticeable, yet will still allow for higher-density property to be built in the residential corridors outside of downtown.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swested View Post
That's ridiculous. You can't just have 50 story buildings shooting up in the middle of Adams Morgan without it destroying the visual integrity of the neighborhood.
I disagree. I think the short buildings in DC (for the most part) look like crap anyway. Even one 50-70 story building shooting up somewhere would be a huge improvement.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:52 PM

137 posts, read 252,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
I disagree. I think the short buildings in DC (for the most part) look like crap anyway. Even one 50-70 story building shooting up somewhere would be a huge improvement.
Then I suggest you move to any other of the many American cities that allow skyscrapers. Or even Rosslyn, which I'm not alone in finding unforgivably ugly and unwelcoming.

DC is and has always been a unique city with a distinct visual style, and a large contributing factor (whether unintentional or not) is the height limit. Given our growing need for density, there is a fair compromise to be had with a tiered/gradual increase in the limit - and that's the most likely outcome anyway.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Then I suggest you move to any other of the many American cities that allow skyscrapers. Or even Rosslyn, which I'm not alone in finding unforgivably ugly and unwelcoming.

DC is and has always been a unique city with a distinct visual style, and a large contributing factor (whether unintentional or not) is the height limit. Given our growing need for density, there is a fair compromise to be had with a tiered/gradual increase in the limit - and that's the most likely outcome anyway.
Why should I move just because I don't like one thing about the city? That's just silly.

I'm just saying that I approve of changing the height limits and even totally removing them in some areas. If a 100-story building shoots up in Columbia Heights.. I will be the LAST person complaining.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,236 times
I have no problem with relaxing the limits outside the old city, but the idea of adding more height downtown bothers me. We're hitting oversupply of office space in the CBD and there's plenty of undeveloped land in the District as it is. Let's start by improving our infrastructure to handle existing demand before stressing it even further as well as prioritising residential rather than commercial development until the market corrects itself.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:35 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
And you think this is going to pass, because...?

I don't know if you've ever lived in high rise building cities, but that creates some other environmental issues, such as the shadows.

So, going back, you think this bill is going to pass, because...? If this passes, I know the US is in some horrible shape.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:44 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
Quote:

What makes the most sense is a tiered system that allows for increasing height as you reach the borders of D.C. That way the difference between bordering neighborhoods will be largely unnoticeable, yet will still allow for higher-density property to be built in the residential corridors outside of downtown.
Most of the bordering neighborhoods up north are residential, I don't think Takoma or Shepard Park would enjoy skyscrapers of silver spring.
This should be limited to the downtown area, Golden Triangle/NoMA, Chinatown/PennQuarter, etc.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:34 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Because the proposed changes use a model of building height in proportion to street width, the overall classic look won't be altered noticeably on a human scale. The slight changes in elevation as viewed from a distance or over a vista will add dimension in a tasteful way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: