Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 07:04 PM

709 posts, read 1,130,115 times

Advertisements

It looks like the height limits won't be changing for now:

Major D.C. building height changes are rejected by planning commission - The Washington Post

I was interested in seeing of there are actually any logical reasons for keeping the height restrictions for the entire city instead of just the mall area. I can't think of any.

I CAN think of many shallow or emotional reasons. I can't think of any logical ones.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:06 PM

708 posts, read 1,205,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
It looks like the height limits won't be changing for now:

Major D.C. building height changes are rejected by planning commission - The Washington Post

I was interested in seeing of there are actually any logical reasons for keeping the height restrictions for the entire city instead of just the mall area. I can't think of any.

I CAN think of many shallow or emotional reasons. I can't think of any logical ones.
There are none, and congrats on sky high rental rates.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:35 PM

114 posts, read 171,106 times
As a resident of Alexandria who lives on a higher floor than could ever exist in DC (and has a great view because of it), I say keep the restrictions in place, it makes my unit that much more valuable and unique.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:26 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Let Alexandria build the high rises. It's a wasteland already. Who wants a Rosslyn spread through the District.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:37 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,059 times
This may be off-topic since it is not a logical reason per se, but I would like to see the height restrictions retained in order to preserve DC's unique, European-like architecture.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:12 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,685 times
I agree with PK12, you may consider my reasons to be shallow, although what people consider shallow is subjective, but one of the reasons I have stayed in the DC area my whole life is because it has a unique vibe to it. I have never been to a city in North America that has felt like Paris other than DC. And to be honest, no study has been shown that proves that raising height limits will lower rent. A majority of high rises end up being office space which would just mean more people having to commute into the city and creating more congestion. The only way to actually lower rent is to increase density, which can be done without raising the height limits.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:16 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Let Alexandria build the high rises. It's a wasteland already. Who wants a Rosslyn spread through the District.
Who wants DC to be a 100% gentrified, yuppie paradise where rents are so high that only high rollers are going to be able to afford? Certain parts of the city needs re-zoning so 10-11 floor apartments can be built. And other parts of the city can use a 20-30 story building. It won't hurt DC at all. 20-30 story apartment buildings would do great East of the River, if Arlington can do it Wards 7 and 8 can do without destroying anything. Some NIMBY-ism may come through but the wealth in Wards 7 and 8 isn't enough to do anything. The old Pepco plant should be re-created into a high-rise district and a infill metro station at River Terrace should be built to support it. Mixed income and mixed use of course but at least 50% should be affordable. Downtown's height limit should be increased to 200 feet and that's it.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:21 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Who wants DC to be a 100% gentrified, yuppie paradise where rents are so high that only high rollers are going to be able to afford? Certain parts of the city needs re-zoning so 10-11 floor apartments can be built. And other parts of the city can use a 20-30 story building. It won't hurt DC at all. 20-30 story apartment buildings would do great East of the River, if Arlington can do it Wards 7 and 8 can do without destroying anything. Some NIMBY-ism may come through but the wealth in Wards 7 and 8 isn't enough to do anything. The old Pepco plant should be re-created into a high-rise district and a infill metro station at River Terrace should be built to support it. Mixed income and mixed use of course but at least 50% should be affordable. Downtown's height limit should be increased to 200 feet and that's it.
High rise buildings aren't going to lower rents.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
High rise buildings aren't going to lower rents.
If DC builds enough mid to high rises and tear down these garden style apartments I can see the rents lowering that is unless the demand stays the same or increases. Rents are cheaper EotR but even the demand EotR is high so why not build high rises over there and fill them up with affordable and workforce housing? Then all of the newly built high rises west of the river can be up to 50% affordable and workforce housing. This will keep lower income and the working and middle class in the city.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:38 AM

This is what I'm thinking....

http://goo.gl/maps/jWGta

or this

http://goo.gl/maps/276UZ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: