Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:54 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybeesly View Post
I'm interested to see what responses this thread gets... I want to move to a more urban area, but I really don't think I could afford to move to DC proper right now. Would somewhere like Arlington or Alexandria be slightly cheaper, while still providing that more urban feel?
Maybe, but not really. The "urban" aspect (especially proximity to shops, restaurants, and the Metro) tends to drive up prices. You can find a good place for a little cheaper maybe 15 minutes away from Old Town, but in Old Town itself it's pricey.

It was 2 years ago, but when my roommate and I were looking to move closer to a Metro station we looked in DC, Arlington, and Alexandria, and found the cheapest option in DC (SW Waterfront area). Our focus in VA was on Pentagon City, Crystal City, and Old Town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 07:09 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heybeesly View Post
I'm interested to see what responses this thread gets... I want to move to a more urban area, but I really don't think I could afford to move to DC proper right now. Would somewhere like Arlington or Alexandria be slightly cheaper, while still providing that more urban feel?
Save your money until you can move to DC. Don't settle for an inferior experience.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:19 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
DC is one of those places where there really isn't much of a benefit, cost-wise, for looking for a home in the suburbs--at least desirable areas in the close-in burbs. Places in desriable neighborhoods in Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda and Falls Church will set you back as much as desirable neighborhoods in the District. That's something about the DC area I just don't understand: I can understand why a townhouse in Dupont Circle or Georgetown is expensive. I *don't* understand why Ballston and Seven Corners are as well.

Several years ago, at the height of the real estate boom, there were 3 BR townhomes in Clarksburg--Clarksburg!--selling for upwards of $700k. That was outright insanity. The prices have come down some from that range, but IMHO are still inflated.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:40 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What's the most vibrant/similar city around DC that isn't in DC?

Would it be Silver Spring, MD? Would it be Arlington, VA? Alexandria, VA?

Thinking of urban density, walkability, pedestrian-friendly, etc...all the attributes that an urban environment might have....and that would be closest to a DC city life...that isn't in DC?

Tiger Beer,
Please go to the Virginia forum for a more unbiased view. Everything there doesn't suck.
DC is a charming, quaint place--no one will deny--but please keep in mind that you will be paying very high taxes for low quality services (DMV, schools, etc) there. So what people are saying here isn't really true, you actually do save a lot of money on taxes by living in the VA burbs. You might pay a bit more on metro to get to work, big deal.
And please, if you live in DC, remember to use a private ambulance service if you ever have a medical emergency. Relying on DC ambulance can literally cost you your life!

Old 06-25-2010, 07:44 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,156,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
DC is one of those places where there really isn't much of a benefit, cost-wise, for looking for a home in the suburbs--at least desirable areas in the close-in burbs. Places in desriable neighborhoods in Arlington, Alexandria, Bethesda and Falls Church will set you back as much as desirable neighborhoods in the District. That's something about the DC area I just don't understand: I can understand why a townhouse in Dupont Circle or Georgetown is expensive. I *don't* understand why Ballston and Seven Corners are as well.

Several years ago, at the height of the real estate boom, there were 3 BR townhomes in Clarksburg--Clarksburg!--selling for upwards of $700k. That was outright insanity. The prices have come down some from that range, but IMHO are still inflated.
I think it's a phenomenon caused by the rapid demographic changes going on in the region. Twenty years ago, other than NW DC west of Rock Creek Park, Washington was something of a donut city. Slums downtown, white yuppies in the suburbs. That's changing, but you still see vestiges of that attitude in housing prices and the posts of some on this board. Notice in the recent real estate meltdown what's happened to housing prices in the far suburbs -- bubbles that burst. In my neighborhood, sales are off, but prices are probably down only about 10%.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:36 AM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Baltimore is the closest city to DC that is comparable, even though the two are pretty different. I consider DC and Baltimore to actually be a double city.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,688 times
If I had to live somewhere other than the city I'd pick the Courthouse/Clarendon area of Arlington, but as has been said the prices there won't exactly be a bargain compared to DC.

I got lucky finding a place in a rent controlled building that allows me to live in a great neighborhood at a great price so don't automatically rule out DC. Do some research/homework online and see what you can find.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:13 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,957,399 times
Reston is gonna boom after the silver line is finished.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
lol Reston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: