Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:59 PM

6 posts, read 14,641 times

Advertisements

Hi all--

I need some perspective on my new situation as I'm not sure what the cost-quality of housing ratio is here. The basic story is that I just relocated to DC from the Midwest for a good job that starts mid-July (tomorrow, in fact). I had to find an apartment without being able to visit it in person and, well, let's just say it leaves a lot to be desired. What is desireable is that it's in old town Takoma Park (MD), close to the metro, priced right ($950 all inclusive), and allows some outdoor space for my cat (it's the top floor of a private home). What isn't so fun is the dark, cramped quarters and the animal smell-infused carpets (still smells gross despite machine cleaning and sprinkle deodorizers) and general filth of the shared spaces. I share the downstairs kitchen but it is not clean at all--cat boxes near by, dog hair tumbleweeds (5 total animals in house; landlord only told me there were three small dogs), etc. Roaches in cabinets.

I have searched and searched Craigslist/the Post/other sites for similar living situations (reasonably priced, safe, outdoor access for cat, offstreet parking) and I'm wondering if it's just not possible to find a decent living situation here for under $2000/month. I've just arrived so I am totally new to DC--fully admit my ignorance, in fact--but is my current situation unusual, meaning the good location and price makes up for a stinky, cramped place and that this type of situation is normal here?

I hope this post isn't to specific for everyone, as I'm basically trying to understand if people trade off cleaniness or related things just so they can live in the DC area. Whatcha think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 02:08 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,932 times
It sounds like a slum!

Old 07-11-2010, 02:17 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,460,046 times
Yeah, you're getting a bad deal. Where is your work going to be? Maybe folks can help on relocation ideas if we know where you're going to need to be close to.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:26 PM

I will work a few blocks from Dupont, so that's my metro stop. One reason I chose Takoma Park is because it's on the Red line so no transfers needed; also that it is safe, etc. The other homes around this one are quite nice so I think I just happened upon a landlord that is naturally dirty. The last person who stayed in my apartment (and moved out June 15) stayed here 2.5 years, according to the landlord, which I cannot grasp as possible.

I am a female professional in my early 40s so don't need or want bars/nightlife at my front door. I think I'd prefer Cleveland/Woodley Park, Tenleytown-type areas but so does everyone, right? I like the idea of renting part of a private home (not just a room) as that's the living situation I just left; I'd be happy to have a roommate, too. I'd appreciate any ideas you have.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:37 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,909,927 times
So there are five pets instead of three. Do you really think that that's the cause of the hairballs? I think not. Hairballs are a fact of life when you own pets. And your pet is contributing too.

And between your current rate of $950 and the speculative number of $2000 you mention, yes, there is a plethora of housing available. If $2000 is your budget you should have no trouble finding an apartment that meets your standards.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:49 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,932 times
Actually Takoma park is known as a hippie alternative town. That may explain the condition of the apartment.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:12 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times
Though $950 is a little low for this area, it does sound like you got a bad deal. You can definitely find a studio or 1-bedroom place for under $2000 in the area, and in some cases even a 2-bedroom. I'd start looking in other areas of town that you like, both online and on foot (take a few nice days and walk around the neighborhood looking for rental signs).

Also, where in Dupont do you work? If it's on the south side, you can also look into neighborhoods on the blue and orange line and just walk from Farragut West. If I can, that's what I usually do to avoid transferring to the red line when I go to Dupont. It'll open up some more options in your search.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:02 PM

Thanks for everyone's posts. I agree that hairballs are a fact of life with pets but typical animal dander, etc. is not what I'm talking about here. The mess is extreme. Perhaps it is due to Takoma Park hippydom or whatever but it's still a tough situation for me.

As for possible other rentals, $2000 is definitely not my budget. At best, it is/can be $1300. Juniperbleu, I work about 4 blocks north of Dupont, so a bit farther than Farragut West. Based on what I've heard, Dupont is out of the running for my budget. I have been searching Craigslist; I agree that walking potential neighborhood is a good idea. I do have a car so that may automatically rule out anything close in since my budget is modest. Thanks again; feel free to share any other thoughts that you may have. I'd appreciate it.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:51 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,718,673 times
Ok, it's just worth mentioning the idea of looking into alternative lines. Technically, you could always transfer, but I won't blame you at all for not wanting to do that. Have you looked into Silver Spring? It's a cool area and seems to have some cheaper places available.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 AM

11 posts, read 61,296 times
Try The August on 22nd and O, my SO lives there. They allow pets, and is only about $1100 for a studio. Actually, the studio next to my SO is open. They don't have a website or anything, but if you're interested PM me and I'll give you their business phone number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC