Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:58 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
I think the height restrictions are artificially keeping prices high. Why should I pay sky high prices so someone can have a nice skyline? Paris has highrises, and I dont see buildings around the Effiel tower, make highrises available in NE/SE and parts of NW (keep them out of SW all together).
Skyscrapers in Paris? Where? I went to Paris while in college and I don't recall seeing any. Unless you're referring to La Defense which is outside the city limits kinda like Rosslyn and Crystal City are outside the city limits of DC.

The DC area for the most part seems to just have an aversion to excessively tall buildings. Even Rosslyn's skyline is kinda pitiful compared to other cities. Skyscrapers just doesn't seem to be part of the culture here with perhaps the exception of the Hilton off Seminary which is 30 stories. It was quite a shock for me when I went there for a nightcap a few years ago. It had been like a decade since I had seen so many buttons on an elevator.

Plenty of European cities have cores that lack tall buildings and then you have lots of hi-rises in the suburbs. That seems to be what DC is doing. I think it's great. I disagree that height restrictions keep prices high. The prices are high because there's so many educated people who demand higher salaries and therefore can afford higher prices. Also the District itself is not at full capacity. Sixty years ago there were 850,000 people living in the District now there are 617,000 according to estimates. There's plenty of room to build more 12 or 13 story buildings.

According to the 2010 census the densest parts of the District are the corners of 12th and Mass, the U Street area, and Logan Circle. With 12th and Mass being the densest at 60,000 people per square mile. If just half the city was as dense as 12th and Mass (34 square miles) one could fit over 2 million people without a single building being over 13 stories. Of course one would have to attract that many people. Not everyone wants to live at 12th and Mass. If the entire city had the density of U street and Logan Circle fitting 2 million still wouldn't be a problem. My point is that there's plenty of room as it is. So that's why I disagree with the idea that the height restrictions keep prices artificially high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 05:35 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Skyscrapers in Paris? Where? I went to Paris while in college and I don't recall seeing any. Unless you're referring to La Defense which is outside the city limits kinda like Rosslyn and Crystal City are outside the city limits of DC.

The DC area for the most part seems to just have an aversion to excessively tall buildings. Even Rosslyn's skyline is kinda pitiful compared to other cities. Skyscrapers just doesn't seem to be part of the culture here with perhaps the exception of the Hilton off Seminary which is 30 stories. It was quite a shock for me when I went there for a nightcap a few years ago. It had been like a decade since I had seen so many buttons on an elevator.

Plenty of European cities have cores that lack tall buildings and then you have lots of hi-rises in the suburbs. That seems to be what DC is doing. I think it's great. I disagree that height restrictions keep prices high. The prices are high because there's so many educated people who demand higher salaries and therefore can afford higher prices. Also the District itself is not at full capacity. Sixty years ago there were 850,000 people living in the District now there are 617,000 according to estimates. There's plenty of room to build more 12 or 13 story buildings.

According to the 2010 census the densest parts of the District are the corners of 12th and Mass, the U Street area, and Logan Circle. With 12th and Mass being the densest at 60,000 people per square mile. If just half the city was as dense as 12th and Mass (34 square miles) one could fit over 2 million people without a single building being over 13 stories. Of course one would have to attract that many people. Not everyone wants to live at 12th and Mass. If the entire city had the density of U street and Logan Circle fitting 2 million still wouldn't be a problem. My point is that there's plenty of room as it is. So that's why I disagree with the idea that the height restrictions keep prices artificially high.
It's basic supply and demand. More housing = lower price. The median income is a part of the high price of an area, but the median income is actually *higher* in Fairfax, yet I can find condos much cheaper than U street.

IMO DC needs hihhrises and BTW Paris you and I agree on that point. Let them do hihhrises out in other parts of the city. No one is saying you need skyscrapers on the mall, but in U street or Mass or Petworth wouldn't be bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: