Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 37,597 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I don't live in DC and got a parking ticket for an expired license plate. They didn't record my VIN number. If I don't pay it, what will happen as I am not a DC resident nor do I live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 03:08 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
They will find you. Your home state has your VIN.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:45 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,339 times
They will likely pursue the action as a debt, sending it on to a collection agency. Your home state may or may not treat it as a 'ticket' that has to be sorted before you do your next car re-registration, but the debt collectors will send you some letters.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:21 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
The DC DMV has their own internal collection agency. After a time, the fine will double. After that, it will be turned over to the in-house CA who will start sending threatening notices. (If you're not frequently driving or parking in DC, the threat of booting your car may ring hollow. If you do, just go to your home state DMV and swap your tags.) When the CA notices hit your credit reports, just send a verify-and-validate letter. The DC DMV CA will not be able to respond in the required 30 days and it will all go away.

Does your state DMV have a reciprocity agreement with DC? Mine doesn't so the old tickets were never an issue until they went away altogether by the events outlined below.

Or just pay the damn ticket and be more careful next time.

Note: Every few years, the DC DMV becomes so overburdened with unpaid tickets and the inability to manage the records that they do two things: 1) pitch them all and start over; and 2) issue a multimillion dollar contract to some inept political cronies to come up with a better record keeping system. How lucky do you feel?

Old 10-19-2009, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 37,597 times
The ticket was issued for an expired license plate. The plate expired on July 31st and I just moved into a rental in Virginia on August 15th. I was in the process of getting the plates and title, etc changed over. What are the chances of them dropping this ticket if I follow the "Admit with Explanation" procedure?

Old 10-21-2009, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 33,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetaxes View Post
The ticket was issued for an expired license plate. The plate expired on July 31st and I just moved into a rental in Virginia on August 15th. I was in the process of getting the plates and title, etc changed over. What are the chances of them dropping this ticket if I follow the "Admit with Explanation" procedure?
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the same exact thing happened to me. They cut you absolutely no slack here and are a-holes about it in the process. Welcome to our nations crapitol.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:53 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
If you parked with expired tags then you deserve the ticket. They won't cut you any slack.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 18,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The DC DMV has their own internal collection agency. After a time, the fine will double. After that, it will be turned over to the in-house CA who will start sending threatening notices. (If you're not frequently driving or parking in DC, the threat of booting your car may ring hollow. If you do, just go to your home state DMV and swap your tags.) When the CA notices hit your credit reports, just send a verify-and-validate letter. The DC DMV CA will not be able to respond in the required 30 days and it will all go away.

Does your state DMV have a reciprocity agreement with DC? Mine doesn't so the old tickets were never an issue until they went away altogether by the events outlined below.

Or just pay the damn ticket and be more careful next time.

Note: Every few years, the DC DMV becomes so overburdened with unpaid tickets and the inability to manage the records that they do two things: 1) pitch them all and start over; and 2) issue a multimillion dollar contract to some inept political cronies to come up with a better record keeping system. How lucky do you feel?
Similar question; I have 3 unpaid tix from DC from '06...after all the fines they want $300. Has never hit my credit report and I've since switched tag's on my car (out of state GA). No point in paying right? BTW they track you by tag number not VIN right?

Old 12-19-2009, 04:40 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetaxes View Post
No chance. You were half a month (at least) beyond the expiration date, and driving around and parking?

And I'd hardly call some city employee an a-hole for upholding the ticket if the tags were dead that long.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:53 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey1901 View Post
BTW they track you by tag number not VIN right?
Even if they track by tag number, I would think it's easy to pull up the old registration (with VIN) and match it to a new tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC