Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:22 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Ward One has more crime than Ward 8. Have you ever driven through Adams Morgan or Petworth or Mt. Pleasant?
I'm pretty sure Ward 8 has more violent crime, definitely more murders. Even though the vast majority of murders are between people who know each other, I still think I'd rather live in Adams Morgan (and in fact I do).

Old 09-13-2010, 07:07 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyDC View Post
Geez strong reaction by alot of people. I think it's kind of okay that three of the many, many people that talk about big and bad Anacostia actually took the initiative to challenge preconceived notions and to see what this area of DC is all about. 0
By driving through? I think they are just as clueless about the area as they were before driving through. YMMV.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Even though I wouldn't reccomend anyone who's just moving from somewhere else to move to most places east of the Anacostia River, those places aren't as bad as the media depicts them to be. Whenever I need to do errands, I haven't been harassed by the locals. Many of you all might say "it's because you're black, Fairfaxian," but remeber that this is while I'm wearing clothing that would be considered "preppy/yuppie." And in addition, I've faced a lot more animosity and had more conflicts with the inhabitants from the "wannabe hood" neighborhoods of inner-beltway PG County.

There is a difference between the "real hood" and a "pseudo/wannabe hood." In the real hood, people do whatever they need to do out of desperation, which not uncommonly involves innocent people as the victims. In the pseudo hood, the need to "act hard" entices a more unprovoked drama and violence, and hence innocent and third party people to be even more at threat.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,623,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Even though I wouldn't reccomend anyone who's just moving from somewhere else to move to most places east of the Anacostia River, those places aren't as bad as the media depicts them to be. Whenever I need to do errands, I haven't been harassed by the locals. Many of you all might say "it's because you're black, Fairfaxian," but remeber that this is while I'm wearing clothing that would be considered "preppy/yuppie." And in addition, I've faced a lot more animosity and had more conflicts with the inhabitants from the "wannabe hood" neighborhoods of inner-beltway PG County.

There is a difference between the "real hood" and a "pseudo/wannabe hood." In the real hood, people do whatever they need to do out of desperation, which not uncommonly involves innocent people as the victims. In the pseudo hood, the need to "act hard" entices a more unprovoked drama and violence, and hence innocent and third party people to be even more at threat.

Yeah, thats nice and all but it's mainly because your black, and you know thats the main reason.

Despite how you are dressed, you still are "one of them".

And your "real hood" nonsense is off point. If people really had to do what they had to do to survive, they would get an education and get an honest job. Stop having babies you can't support and stop hanging around people who will get you in trouble. Thats the way to survive. Stealing, mugging, and what have you will only land you in jail, or dead once you come across the wrong person....

Old 09-13-2010, 08:43 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times
Quote:
I agree. That's why Col. Heights/Mt. Pleasant/Shaw so edgy (in addition to having an impossible parking situation). Ironically, the edginess just attracts more hipster gentrifiers, as they try to build their "street cred" , which makes the long term residents of the pseudo-hood increase the violence even more in response.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:18 AM

331 posts, read 904,156 times
I'd like to recommend some more areas and not just on MLK ave between Suitland Pkwy and Good Hope road. Try driving on MLK from going south to Alabama Ave, make a left, drive on Alabama ave until you reach Wheeler Road, make a right, drive on wheeler until you get to Wahler st, make a right the drive to 9th street, make a left keep driving on 9th until you hit Yuma st and make a right then make another right on 8th street and then take that up to condon terrace and bend that curve follow that street unil you reach 4th street then take that down to southern ave. make a right drive down to south capitol and make a right then follow that up to Mississippi ave and take that all the way to Stanton rd and make a left take that to elvans rd make a right then make a right on morris rd it'll turn into erire st then you'll wanna take that to Bruce pl make a left then to ainger pl make a right take that to 25th street make a left then merge right on Alabama ave then make a left at naylor rd and another left at good hope road take that down to Minnesota Ave. drive on Minnesota Ave until you get to Ely place and make right then make a left on 37th street and take it around to ridge road. make a left on ridge, a right on minnesota ave and go on East Capitol going west back to the "safe part of D.C."/ or if you want some more instead of going on east capitol st continue on Minnesota ave which turns into NE and once you hit Benning road make a left then take that past 6th district police station and pass the shrimp boat back into SE and continue that trip until you reach 46th street SE and make a right. drive until you reach F street make a right then make a left on alabama ave and another left on G street and take that down back down to Benning road and make a left then make a right at C street and a left at 49th street. take 49th street across est capitol into NE and continue until you hit Nannie Halen Burroughs ave and make a left. take that down to the highway and get on the ramp back into downtown DC.

that concludes the tour of Southeast river east.

I can give you a NE tour too

Last edited by Avtomat Kalashnikova; 09-13-2010 at 09:26 AM..

Old 09-13-2010, 09:24 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Yeah, thats nice and all but it's mainly because your black, and you know thats the main reason.

And your "real hood" nonsense is off point. If people really had to do what they had to do to survive, they would get an education and get an honest job. Stop having babies you can't support and stop hanging around people who will get you in trouble. Thats the way to survive. Stealing, mugging, and what have you will only land you in jail, or dead once you come across the wrong person....
1) I never said their actions were right or justifiable, but the chance of being a victim and the reason for it are different. I'll concur with what you listed are the fullproof ways to truly improve their lives and that there is no excuse for stealing, mugging, and selling drugs. The major reasons behind many in the hood not taking inititatve is because:
-Many in the hood socially prohibit such acts and see it as selling out. This is nonetheless inexcusable and is actually more of a problem in the "pseudo hoods" than in the actual inner-city.
-The attitudes from many non-blacks won't change. In many parts of the country (DC proper included), an educated assimilated black person is still a "black hoodlum with a suit on who just has Affirmative Action on his side," all the while an educated assimilated Latino or Asian person becomes "A full-fledged hard-working All American."

2) I'll admit that it's probably one of the main reasons why I fly under the radar in NE and SE, east of the Anacostia. But I still get plenty of targeted prejudice while in wannabe-Southeast PG County. This is what I alluded to when I mention how the "pseudo hood" places have more tendencies for innocent people to become targets of crime. And unlike in the "real hoods," race doesn't help you avoid such instances.

3)
Quote:
And I guess this is also the reason why I'm seen no different than the "hoodlums" by nearly all of the non-blacks in DC. Let me make two points here:

-There isn't some "unity under being the same race" perspective under DC's black community. I'm not able to just pull up some community BBQ blasting old school Go-Go, chill out playing spades and eating half-smokes, and get instantly hit on by some local chicks! Despite what many of you all believe, most of my experiences with blacks in DC proper have been on the neutral side: I don't eff with them and they don't eff with me. However, this is way better than the "imma get my boyz and pick on the oreo-azz n***a so that I look like a "G" in front of everyone" attitude I've dealt more than enough with in PG County.

-I can verify that the "one of them" attitude also rests with most non-blacks in DC as well (and as expected, not in any good way whatsoever). It's attitudes like this why I would rather live in nearby parts of Northern VA, or even MoCo/Fairfax if I was a teenager. At least in those places, the whites and other races take demeanor and appearances over race as a way to judge. Call it classist, but at least with classism, I can control what side I'm on. It's just that my current job is in Maryland and nowhere near a subway station, and a commute from NoVA - even from Arlington - to a poor-transit accessible place in Maryland would be a pain without a car.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 09-13-2010 at 10:02 AM..

Old 09-13-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
If people really had to do what they had to do to survive, they would get an education and get an honest job. Stop having babies you can't support and stop hanging around people who will get you in trouble. Thats the way to survive. Stealing, mugging, and what have you will only land you in jail, or dead once you come across the wrong person....
now thats true

Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 AM

Fairfaxian has a point too. You'll see a different mentality in D.C. hood and PG and MoCo hoods (yes there are a lot of wannabes in Montgomery county too). See in a D.C. you'll rarely see or hear of someone that ain't in the game getting harmed, unless that ask for it. D.C. hoods is all about money whereas in the MD suburbs they feel the need that they have to prove themselves a it too much and the love to not fight fair. These are the ones that'll start s**t with anyone for no reason.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:08 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
At least in those places, the whites and other races take demeanor and appearances over race as a way to judge. Call it classist, but at least with classism, I can control what side I'm on. It's just that my current job is in Maryland and nowhere near a subway station, and a commute from NoVA - even from Arlington - to a poor-transit accessible place in Maryland would be a pain without a car.
I agree with this assessment. There is extreme classism in Northern Virginia due to the abundance of affluence with people eating BMWs for breakfast with their silver spoons, but I've very rarely, if ever, seen an instance of racism. I'm white and have befriended Hispanics (especially Puerto Ricans), African-Americans, gays, straights, Asian-Americans (especially South Koreans), etc. I have friends who are Muslim, Christian, Atheist, Jewish, and from other spiritual walks of life. People don't care about such things here in NoVA. They're more concerned with looking you up and down and trying to analyze if you are "on par" with them or if you can somehow be advantageous to their careers. The NoVA sub-forum is replete with affluent Caucasians who talk down to those of us, even within the same race, who are considered "low-income" by NoVA standards. Those snobs fail to realize that in most of their cases they were very lucky to be where they are today---having purchased a home before the bubble and then cashed in on the windfall (a few cases), having received inheritances (at least one case), having a direct relative in a senior executive position (at least one case), having had friends/family here to room with to save on the insane cost of rent (a few cases), etc. Eventually I, too, will be "successful", but in the mean time it's difficult to always be judged because I earn a salary that's respectable elsewhere in the nation and marginal here. The classism here is the reason why the only part of the NoVA suburbs I'd ever consider raising my family in would be Winchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: