Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:08 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Yeah, thats nice and all but it's mainly because your black, and you know thats the main reason.

Despite how you are dressed, you still are "one of them".

And your "real hood" nonsense is off point. If people really had to do what they had to do to survive, they would get an education and get an honest job. Stop having babies you can't support and stop hanging around people who will get you in trouble. Thats the way to survive. Stealing, mugging, and what have you will only land you in jail, or dead once you come across the wrong person....
WRONG!

The Fairfaxian made some great points, but I would like to add my two cents to this. Saying "you still are one of them" is not only ignorant, but it comes off as being very racist. Fairfaxian is right, there are some black people that will never fit into what goes on in certain areas. Everybody that is black doesn't act the same. Some people grew up in completely different circumstances. I concur that I also would never be able to pull up to a BBQ and grab a half smoke. I talk different, I look different, I act different. That's not to say I'm better than those individuals that do that because I'm not. But I just didn't grow up with those things in my house and in my neighborhood, but yet some how black men like me get labeled as being no different, when reality is I probably grew up exactly like any other middle class kid in a suburban neighborhood regardless of race.

And yes Fairfaxian point about the real hood is very much related. Think about it like this, there are some places that get labeled as hood (most of the inner beltway parts of PG County) but really aren't places where real criminals reside. Sometimes crime in these places comes from teenagers who live in middle class neighborhoods that rather portray an image than to accept who they really are. People who are really for the hood, as Fairfaxian pointed out, are not looking to maintain an image, they do the things they do to survive. That's the difference. Some places have a perception of being a bad area and other places really are bad areas. To me that is something that the OP doesn't seem to understand either.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:10 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
WRONG!

The Fairfaxian made some great points, but I would like to add my two cents to this. Saying "you still are one of them" is not only ignorant, but it comes off as being very racist. Fairfaxian is right, there are some black people that will never fit into what goes on in certain areas. Everybody that is black doesn't act the same. Some people grew up in completely different circumstances. I concur that I also would never be able to pull up to a BBQ and grab a half smoke. I talk different, I look different, I act different. That's not to say I'm better than those individuals that do that because I'm not. But I just didn't grow up with those things in my house and in my neighborhood, but yet some how black men like me get labeled as being no different, when reality is I probably grew up exactly like any other middle class kid in a suburban neighborhood regardless of race.

And yes Fairfaxian point about the real hood is very much related. Think about it like this, there are some places that get labeled as hood (most of the inner beltway parts of PG County) but really aren't places where real criminals reside. Sometimes crime in these places comes from teenagers who live in middle class neighborhoods that rather portray an image than to accept who they really are. People who are really for the hood, as Fairfaxian pointed out, are not looking to maintain an image, they do the things they do to survive. That's the difference. Some places have a perception of being a bad area and other places really are bad areas. To me that is something that the OP doesn't seem to understand either.
(Clapping hands)!

Old 09-13-2010, 01:16 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
I concur with Reston and Fairfaxian. I was raised in the country, deep deep in the backwoods and I couldn't just walk up to anyone's bbq and start drinking. Yes, I have spent plenty of times in some of the more crime prone areas in the city and have made good friends. Still, there is a culture difference.
As far as marine-boy's comments, I don't know what "one of them" means.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:51 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
WRONG!

Thanks for the support bro!

As for the original topic, to the OP. You want to get a real thrill of what it;s like over there without being under threat for your safety, take some of the bus routes that go through or within east of the Anacostia River.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:58 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fairfaxian View Post
thanks for the support bro!

As for the original topic, to the op. You want to get a real thrill of what it;s like over there without being under threat for your safety, take some of the bus routes that go through or within east of the anacostia river.
lmao...

Old 09-13-2010, 03:10 PM

2,597 posts, read 4,659,459 times
Default boredatwork

For some reason I havent....Im from Largo, Md..I might go thru East Capitol or southern ave but other than that I dont have any business.....the first thing that happen my folks goin say "what were u doin over there"....now I've been to the worst parts of Baltimore but for some reason reluctant to cruise through D.C....I feel its more personal and territorial around D.C ppl claiming more areas...remember that 14 yo killed just bc he didnt say what neighborhood he was from when he was approached but that was NE i think

Old 09-13-2010, 03:17 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,302 times
Do they have bus tours like this for tourists in Anacostia?
A Sin And A Shame: Soul Voyeurism* And Harlem

Old 09-13-2010, 06:24 PM

499 posts, read 668,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
Yeah, thats nice and all but it's mainly because your black, and you know thats the main reason.

Despite how you are dressed, you still are "one of them".

And your "real hood" nonsense is off point. If people really had to do what they had to do to survive, they would get an education and get an honest job. Stop having babies you can't support and stop hanging around people who will get you in trouble. Thats the way to survive. Stealing, mugging, and what have you will only land you in jail, or dead once you come across the wrong person....
I know right! And while we're at it, dont you wish those illegal aliens would stop having babies, stop bringing down wages, grow some balls and go back and fix their countries? Instead of DUI killings, machetes, gangs and sitting around on the railroad tracks doing nothing but gettin run over?

According to frsno1 "25 homicides in the past 24 hour period for Ciudad Juarez. Now it is past the 2,100 mark for the year." All for the love of drugs, hate and greed

Old 09-13-2010, 07:11 PM

982 posts, read 3,487,420 times
I think this post is silly and exposes your ignorance. Do you know what's "bad" about SE DC? The people are...GASP...POOR...and...GASP AGAIN...BLACK! Get a hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
A friend of mine and I were talking about how we had lived in the Washington DC area for quite a while now and had never been to the so called bad sides of town. All my out of town relatives tell me they hear that DC is crime city and so very dangerous. But in my little world working near Dupont Circle and staying near the Washington Mall and Northwest DC I have never experienced what they were talking about, DC seemed very safe to me.

So off we went and drove to the worst side of town. Southeast DC in Anacostia and other nearby areas. I found the whole area shocking. So many people just standing around and killing time and when we stopped at the stop light people did stare at us three white women sitting in a car in an all black neighborhood. But we survived and did not think it seems as rough as the tough sides of Philly or Baltimore. But will never return.

What are your observations of Anacostia and nearby neighborhoods?

Old 09-13-2010, 07:17 PM

239 posts, read 895,257 times
Another poster who does not like discussions throwing the race card into the issue. I never said anything about the area being black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
I think this post is silly and exposes your ignorance. Do you know what's "bad" about SE DC? The people are...GASP...POOR...and...GASP AGAIN...BLACK! Get a hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: