Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:10 PM

331 posts, read 904,570 times

Advertisements

happy days are comin again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 07:24 PM

106 posts, read 107,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
But I bet Fenty's fraternity brothers are upset over this development.
Maybe Gray can get some free fences put up around the city government buildings to save money on the budget.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,669,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPony90 View Post
You're a sudden defender of that awful suburban hell?

I mean, I lived in NOVA for 3 years before moving into the District. It's perfectly fine, but boring and sterile. However, you like to at one moment act like it's hell on earth, and then when it's convenient, praise it. Make up your mind, man.
I don't like NoVA, but, at the same time, Maryland is no better in my opinion, so when I see Marylanders bashing NoVA I really don't get where they think they have a leg to stand on. NoVA is awful from an urban planning standpoint (as seen by the people on that sub-forum who think sprawling places like Tysons Corner, Reston, and Ashburn are "super rad awesome"), but all of the assets I listed are true. You never hear DC people bashing Maryland the same way they bash Virginia. The last time I checked Arlington could wipe the floor with Silver Spring.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:06 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,669,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Maryland, particularly MoCo, is hypothetically the same thing. It's sprawaling in many parts, abundant with big box stores and mcmansions, abominable traffic on a daily basis, and sterile neighborhoods. People on the DC forums have this unexplanable hatred towards NoVA, all the while the same things they diss on NoVA for can be found in Maryland, and the ills many people complain about DC are more visible and frequent in Maryland. This brings me to the other "suburban" county.
This has been my experience as well. What is so much "better" about Maryland than NoVA to make the DCers have such resentment towards the latter over the former?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:39 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,004 times
Maryland's just more awesome.

No I don't have a bias just because I've lived there most of my life and go to its crown jewel university.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:50 PM

894 posts, read 2,317,467 times
Maybe Maryland just has "region envy". Kind of like that one body part guys seem to envy sometimes.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBat View Post
Maybe Maryland just has "region envy". Kind of like that one body part guys seem to envy sometimes.
We're the richest state and have been called America in Miniature. What's there for us to envy?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
We're the richest state and have been called America in Miniature. What's there for us to envy?
Richest state?

In the WMA, Loudoun, Fairfax, and Arlington have higher median salaries than Montgomery, Howard, and PG.

Highest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-18-2010, 08:14 AM

Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Maryland has the highest median household income of any state, with a median income of $70,545.["

suck it

Old 09-18-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Maryland has the highest median household income of any state, with a median income of $70,545.["

suck it
LOL!

I live in the WMA so I don't care about what boonieville MD or VA contribute.

Do the averages for the WMA and you'll figure out the truth sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC