Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 02:08 PM

101 posts, read 210,826 times

Advertisements

Hey, guys. I'm really interested in "battleground" areas for college sports. So, I was wondering who D.C. supported for college football and college basketball. Thanks in advance for the responses!

P.S. My impressions are these:

COLLEGE FOOTBALL
Mix of Maryland, Virginia and Virginia Tech

COLLEGE BASKETBALL
Mostly Georgetown; lots of Maryland, Virginia and Virginia Tech, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 10:15 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,013,887 times
I would agree with what you said for football and for the most part Basketball but I would add in George Washington Basketball too.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:24 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,922 times
You have alum from every school in the country here. If you go to a sports bar on a college football Saturday, you will see a group of fans from just about every school that is playing.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:39 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,717,407 times
College Football on the East Coast sucks. This is one time of year that I miss being in SEC country. The big east and ACC are both overrated.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:45 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,242,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Illini_26 View Post
Hey, guys. I'm really interested in "battleground" areas for college sports. So, I was wondering who D.C. supported for college football and college basketball. Thanks in advance for the responses!

P.S. My impressions are these:

COLLEGE FOOTBALL
Mix of Maryland, Virginia and Virginia Tech

COLLEGE BASKETBALL
Mostly Georgetown; lots of Maryland, Virginia and Virginia Tech, too.
MD is the closest school, but the area is so transient that there's really no "school" that people root for. You can go to just about any bar and it will be for the alumni association of some school 1000 miles away.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM

381 posts, read 814,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahales View Post
College Football on the East Coast sucks. This is one time of year that I miss being in SEC country. The big east and ACC are both overrated.
Agreed.

I've been to football games at Alabama, Ole Miss, Miss State, and Kentucky.

I really want to add Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee to that list, and go back to Alabama and Ole Miss.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:54 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
There's really not a lot of interest in DC for college sports. I guess some people people get excited about Georgetown basketball and a little with UMD or when an underdog school makes a once-in-a-lifetime run, but it's certainly not as consuming as in the South or Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC