Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,377,347 times

Advertisements

Enjoyed the city. The hustle bustle pace, the sightseeing, and the food. BUT, just wondering about the Metro. I was shocked at how dark and gloomy the platform areas were. We were at Rosslyn station, Union station, Metro station, and Arlington Court House station. In some areas I could barely see my hand in front of me. Is this the norm?

Georgetown Cupcakes. Went, the line was around the block with estimated time of arrival into the shop of greater than one hour. Are the cupcakes THAT good? Or is it just because of the TV show? They say only the best ingredients are used, European butter, etc.

I checked out the Georgetown cupcake website and I can have one dozen shipped for...drumroll please, $26.00. The cupcakes are I believe $29.00. I am slightly tempted. The cupcakes look very ordinary though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 07:12 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,624,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Enjoyed the city. The hustle bustle pace, the sightseeing, and the food. BUT, just wondering about the Metro. I was shocked at how dark and gloomy the platform areas were. We were at Rosslyn station, Union station, Metro station, and Arlington Court House station. In some areas I could barely see my hand in front of me. Is this the norm?

Georgetown Cupcakes. Went, the line was around the block with estimated time of arrival into the shop of greater than one hour. Are the cupcakes THAT good? Or is it just because of the TV show? They say only the best ingredients are used, European butter, etc.

I checked out the Georgetown cupcake website and I can have one dozen shipped for...drumroll please, $26.00. The cupcakes are I believe $29.00. I am slightly tempted. The cupcakes look very ordinary though.
1) Yep. They are always pretty dark. I think you are exaggerating about the not being able to see you hand part though...

2) Only tools and fat people would wait hours for a cupcake. I like cupcakes just as much as the next gay, but I would never do that.

Go to Hello Cupcake or Cakelove for the same thing...unless you want to be on TV.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
2) Only tools and fat people would wait hours for a cupcake. I like cupcakes just as much as the next gay, but I would never do that.

YouTube - ‪How Long Would You Wait for a Cupcake on a Lovely Spring Day‬‎

Old 08-10-2010, 09:04 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,624,004 times
Tools. All of them.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:52 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,912,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post

Yes they are pretty dark. They are working to improving lighting a smidge, having only recently become aware that the current light levels do not meet life safety or building code. Locals tend to think pitch-black public transit stations are normal though.

No, Georgetown cupcakes aren't that good. They're fine, but they aren't the best I've ever had. There are other cupcakeries around and locals know where to find better, without the wait. As for price, they have to cover their expenses. Ingredients are expensive. Labor is expensive. It's basic math. If they have three staff earning minimum wage (living wage in this town is $12.10/hr), and cover average retail-business expenses, they have to sell 25-30 cupcakes an hour at $3, every hour of every day, just to break even. That's the minimum. If they want to pay for better quality workers and cover rent in a premium location like Georgetown, they have to sell even more. Other outfits in town and elsewhere charge pretty similar prices so I think its a safe assumption that the price is dictated by costs.

Cakelove's cupcakes are terrible.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:47 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,567,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Cakelove's cupcakes are terrible.
Thank you. I do not for the life of me understand the fascination with that place. That bakery churns out very mediocre products.

Georgetown Cupcakes are good, but they're not worth an hour wait. Check out Baked and Wired (also in Georgetown) or Red Velvet in Penn Quarter for alternatives.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:11 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,760 times
It's because of the TV show. That's the way Washingtonians prioritize.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:16 AM

331 posts, read 904,384 times
I think the dark stations are kinda cool. I think Federal Triangle is the darkest of them all though the ones you named are quite normally lit compared to that station.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,567,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
It's because of the TV show. That's the way Washingtonians prioritize.
Georgetownians, perhaps, but certainly not all of us. I think it's a pretty goofy practice.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:48 AM

741 posts, read 2,781,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtomat Kalashnikova View Post
I think the dark stations are kinda cool. I think Federal Triangle is the darkest of them all though the ones you named are quite normally lit compared to that station.
Foggy Bottom use to be really bad, but finally they put in some lights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC