Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:15 PM

741 posts, read 2,783,596 times

Advertisements

What is going on with the Smartrip sensors in Metro in the stations (not the buses)????

I hadn't been riding the metro lately until recently cause of the rain (I normally commute on my bicycle) and slight cold.

But I noticed 2 things that have been happening on the Metro and wondered if all you other Washingtonian riders have noticed.

1) The gates and sensors don't open up as quick as they use to. THey use to read MUCH faster and I was noticing this cause lines were getting backed up. Gates were slamming on people, some dude this morning got REAL pissed getting slammed in the gate (yikes!). The sensors were much faster, what is going on hasn't anyone noticed this?

2) The second is the Smartbenefits, I 've gone to 2 stations in the span of a week and they still can't activate the SmartBenefits to put money on the card. An attendant had heard this from other riders when I talked to him last Friday and thought things would be reset Monday (today). Nope.. in fact I saw another guy at the machine try to do this and it didn't work for him either.

Anybody got a clue as to what the heck is going on??!?!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 01:41 PM

124 posts, read 315,640 times
It could be just that location regarding the Smart benefits. Mine loaded just fine on Friday afternoon. I do notice the delay in opening of the gates though. That never bothered me, but what did was the fact that sometimes only one of them would open initially and the other half would open with a delay... thus having me slam into half of one.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:03 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,409,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakawhat View Post
What is going on with the Smartrip sensors in Metro in the stations (not the buses)????

I hadn't been riding the metro lately until recently cause of the rain (I normally commute on my bicycle) and slight cold.

But I noticed 2 things that have been happening on the Metro and wondered if all you other Washingtonian riders have noticed.

1) The gates and sensors don't open up as quick as they use to. THey use to read MUCH faster and I was noticing this cause lines were getting backed up. Gates were slamming on people, some dude this morning got REAL pissed getting slammed in the gate (yikes!). The sensors were much faster, what is going on hasn't anyone noticed this?

2) The second is the Smartbenefits, I 've gone to 2 stations in the span of a week and they still can't activate the SmartBenefits to put money on the card. An attendant had heard this from other riders when I talked to him last Friday and thought things would be reset Monday (today). Nope.. in fact I saw another guy at the machine try to do this and it didn't work for him either.

Anybody got a clue as to what the heck is going on??!?!?!?
Defective machines made in China.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:13 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,714,292 times
1) You know how they changed the fare structure? Well, the computers that read SmarTrip cards are really ****ty. Like, they were probably made in the 1980s. Basically, the extra memory needed to know all that extra fare information makes the reading of the card slower. I too was attacked by a fare gate, so now I usually wait for the gate to close before I scan my card.

2) No idea, frankly it's best to have incredibly low expectations when using anything Metro-related.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:37 PM

41 posts, read 56,081 times
Maybe we should switch to magnetic strips like the metrocard in NYC and replace our fare gates with turnstiles. Cheaper and safer.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:00 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,731,124 times
They updated the system or something, and that's why the gates are slower. I don't know how that works, but that's why.

As far as SmartBenefits, it wasn't working because of the end of the fiscal year. However, I was able to reload mine last Friday, so maybe try another station?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
1) You know how they changed the fare structure? Well, the computers that read SmarTrip cards are really ****ty. Like, they were probably made in the 1980s. Basically, the extra memory needed to know all that extra fare information makes the reading of the card slower. I too was attacked by a fare gate, so now I usually wait for the gate to close before I scan my card.

2) No idea, frankly it's best to have incredibly low expectations when using anything Metro-related.
You are probably right. I just hope they fix it soon.

Its very annoying.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:35 AM

741 posts, read 2,783,596 times
well my Smartbenefits was accesible yesterday evening so that's good news..

Old 10-05-2010, 10:36 AM

16 posts, read 37,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Bennington View Post
Maybe we should switch to magnetic strips like the metrocard in NYC and replace our fare gates with turnstiles. Cheaper and safer.
Neither. It would cost at least $10-$20 million to retrofit Metro stations, probably closer to $50 mill. And the jail-style turnstiles they have in NYC are awful. They are also, from what I can tell, not reversable, which DC Metro's are. (at the very least, they are not bi-directional like the wide gates here)

As for safety, I'll take something I can jump over in an emergency, like the Metro gates, versus a metal wall, where people can get crushed.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:30 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,714,292 times
Metro's were safe and fine until the fare structure changes which slowed them down. I could ALWAYS tap the card and walk through without missing a beat. Now if I try doing that there's a fair chance I'll get castrated by the gates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC