Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 07:44 PM

14 posts, read 27,517 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am a student who is considering to move to DC for grad school at George Washington University. I am single, 20s, Chinese American. I hear people say that it is pretty hard to meet people.. Will it be hard for me to make friends outside of school?

I am also consider Salt Lake City in Utah. Which one will be the bigger adjustment from California? What are the pros and cons for moving to DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 08:01 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calswim View Post
Hi there,

I am a student who is considering to move to DC for grad school at George Washington University. I am single, 20s, Chinese American. I hear people say that it is pretty hard to meet people.. Will it be hard for me to make friends outside of school?

I am also consider Salt Lake City in Utah. Which one will be the bigger adjustment from California? What are the pros and cons for moving to DC?
You'll be so busy in grad school...you'll probably socialize and have all your friends right there. I wouldn't worry so much about making friends outside of school, not sure where you'd find time to do so anyways. If you did, probably would be with roommate situation or something like that.

Just look for the program that appeals to you most. Also, critical to grad school, is those connections you make from it. That alone would pull me much more strongly in the DC direction over SLC.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:21 PM

63 posts, read 354,817 times
Well DC is much more fast paced, diverse, expensive and cosmopolitan than Salt Lake City. DC has an east coast vibe to it whereas Salt Lake City does have sort of a west coast vibe to it, although its a bit different and is a lot more religious there. It shouldn't be too hard to meet people at GWU, especially with the parties on weekends.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:58 PM

14 posts, read 27,517 times
Initially, I wanted something more slow pace which is what attracts me to salt lake city. However, I am concerned about diversity and since grad school is fast paced.. I was thinking GWU would work well with that.. any thoughts?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:05 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Have you been admitted to GW? What are you going to grad school for?

Old 11-29-2010, 02:53 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,954 times
Quote:
What are the pros and cons for moving to DC?
Smiling in public and politeness are considered signs of weakness in D.C.

Make sure you:

-Don't say "hi" to strangers (GW should be o.k., just don't be openly friendly in the bureaucratic Federal areas of town).

-Don't strike up conversations on Metro...just keep looking at your Kindle or iPhone or your feet.

-If you are walking through a doorway and someone is behind you, only open the door enough for you to pass and make
sure it shuts in the face of the person behind you.

-If you are a conservative, you'd best keep it to yourself (Remember, conservatives are "evil and the cause of all of America's problems"...you'll hear that a lot, trust me!)

-Don't stand on the left side of Metro escalators...that is a huge crime in D.C. akin to murder in any other city.

-Don't use your turn signals when driving (again, another sign of weakness which will be used against you).

-Don't go to SE after sunset or before sunrise.

-NEVER, EVER suggest to "public servants" that the Federal government should be downsized
(the same goes for suggesting pay or compensation cuts for "public servants").

-Outside of college campuses or social situations involving people under 30, people tend to stick with there own kind (racial self-segregation). Be aware of that when considering socializing.

-Never suggest that certain ethnic groups are self-defeating. Remember, when asked about your opinion of conditions in "disadvantaged areas" say, "its not their fault".

Now some pros:

-The Redskins are always good for a laugh

-The museums are "free"

Welcome to D.C.!

Last edited by clb10; 11-29-2010 at 03:02 AM..

Old 11-29-2010, 06:48 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,504 times
Standing left to the Metro is a big no no in my book. It's self explanatory, you walk up on the left and you stand on the right. Tourists for some reason, do both. No, it doesn't work that way.

The looking at your feet while on Metro gave me a chuckle. It's so true, but the thing is, you're on Metro, there's nowhere to look. You end up looking/staring at someone, and that just gets awkward.

The self-segregation thing is debatable. Really all depends on who you are. I hang out with all races.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:27 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
But all metros around the world are like that. I mean, bring something to do - bring a book, read a newspaper, or look at your feet if you didn't prepare anything - or feign sleep. They are just basic universal unwritten rules.

I would be in complete shock if Washington DC were somehow completely different in this regard from every other subway in the world.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:53 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
Standing left to the Metro is a big no no in my book. It's self explanatory, you walk up on the left and you stand on the right. Tourists for some reason, do both. No, it doesn't work that way.

The looking at your feet while on Metro gave me a chuckle. It's so true, but the thing is, you're on Metro, there's nowhere to look. You end up looking/staring at someone, and that just gets awkward.

The self-segregation thing is debatable. Really all depends on who you are. I hang out with all races.
Actually, during morning commute time, you walk up on the right too. I think race deal is always everywhere, but it's more hidden and quiet in DC. That goes with the religion too. People tend not to bring up religion, race or politics. If they do, they're in the business of one. if you do make eye contact, make sure you don't look away first in the metro. Always try to go in the middle of the isle on the metro. Don't stand near the doors. That goes for all of you people living here.

Only weird thing is that people tend to stick with one form of transportation here. People who drive, will always drive, no matter if their house is 2 steps away from the metro or not, people who ride buses always ride the bus, people who take the train, always take the train and people who ride bicycles to work will always try to ride their bicycles to work.

I tend to do the same thing. I always think there is something wrong with the buses for no reason and prefer the train, although I don't much care for both.

Last edited by Plokivos; 11-29-2010 at 04:09 PM..

Old 12-19-2010, 12:45 PM

6 posts, read 15,578 times
Default To CLB10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Smiling in public and politeness are considered signs of weakness in D.C.

Make sure you:

-Don't say "hi" to strangers (GW should be o.k., just don't be openly friendly in the bureaucratic Federal areas of town).

-Don't strike up conversations on Metro...just keep looking at your Kindle or iPhone or your feet.

-If you are walking through a doorway and someone is behind you, only open the door enough for you to pass and make
sure it shuts in the face of the person behind you.

-If you are a conservative, you'd best keep it to yourself (Remember, conservatives are "evil and the cause of all of America's problems"...you'll hear that a lot, trust me!)

-Don't stand on the left side of Metro escalators...that is a huge crime in D.C. akin to murder in any other city.

-Don't use your turn signals when driving (again, another sign of weakness which will be used against you).

-Don't go to SE after sunset or before sunrise.

-NEVER, EVER suggest to "public servants" that the Federal government should be downsized
(the same goes for suggesting pay or compensation cuts for "public servants").

-Outside of college campuses or social situations involving people under 30, people tend to stick with there own kind (racial self-segregation). Be aware of that when considering socializing.

-Never suggest that certain ethnic groups are self-defeating. Remember, when asked about your opinion of conditions in "disadvantaged areas" say, "its not their fault".

Now some pros:

-The Redskins are always good for a laugh

-The museums are "free"

Welcome to D.C.!
That was a great and accurate response about DC, and I am really laughing, because although so funny, it is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC