Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 02:23 AM

11 posts, read 39,801 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am relocating to the DC area and have been trying to explore different sections of the city via online postings in this forum and otherwise. I understand many sections of the city have and are going through gentrification. I found an apartment advertised at an attractive price located at 15th and Benning. I have found posts on Trinidad and Capitol Hill, but nothing specific to this area.

Is this a safe area? Is it a close walk to the Metro Lines? Would it be safe walking late at night. I plan to explore the area in person both day and night before making a decision, but I am hoping to get a general concensus from people who know and live in DC already.

Also, are there other areas of the city one might reccomend that are affordable for a young professional not making a lot of money? I am trying to stay under $1200 for a One Bedroom if utils are included, around $1000 if they are not.

Thanks!

Last edited by kryptonite_01; 01-06-2011 at 03:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 06:11 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,285 times
Definitely not the best area. If you read posts about Trinidad on here then you can expect about the same right there. It's close to some of the new nightlife on the H St Corridor, but there's still a ton of crime. I go to assaults around there daily when I'm on duty. I'd look for something else. Also, how old are you and are you male/female?

Old 01-06-2011, 06:23 AM

276 posts, read 432,180 times
If thats the Pinnacles project, avoid it.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:21 PM

51 posts, read 124,045 times
your basement is too low. $1k no-utilities for a 1 bedroom is not going to get you an apartment in any kind of safe area (and I would not live at 15th and Benning). You should look into getting a roommate, consider living in a studio/closet, or up the amount you can pay for rent.

As for cheap areas that are getting better and are close to the middle of things (including the metro) my vote would be Shaw. I lived there for 2 years in a 3bdroom, and we split rent so it was ~$600/mo ea., which is dirt cheap for DC. Lived directly across the street from the Convention Center metro, so had easy access to metro, Chinatown/Verizon Center was 5 blocks away, and I was 10 blocks from work. The area wasn't the greatest when I first moved in, but it's definately been improving - and there's still plenty of affordable places in that area.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:06 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,560,415 times
That's definitely a rougher area. You'll find a lot of restaurants, bars and clubs opening along H Street just to the west...but that neighborhood is still very much "tranisitioning" as they say. Not a place I would feel completely comfortable walking around at night.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:48 PM

11 posts, read 39,801 times
Thanks for the great responses. I was just in DC this weekend looking around. I did not go to NE at all. I ventured toward Columbia Heights and thought the neighborhood looked extremely nice and is definitely a hot spot.

I looked at a place near Otis and 6th St NW in a section called Park View. This area looks to be transitional...but more safe than dangerous. Am I close to being correct, or dead wrong?

Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 AM

423 posts, read 645,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite_01 View Post
I looked at a place near Otis and 6th St NW in a section called Park View. This area looks to be transitional...but more safe than dangerous. Am I close to being correct, or dead wrong?
Yea its definitely more on the safe side and will only get better, but its still good to be aware of your surroundings since its only a block or two away form housing projects and low income units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC