Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 15,228 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Washington, DC area (Hyattsville, MD specifically) this week and I have pretty dark window tint on my car. It's 15% all the way around. I'm coming from Florida where the tint laws aren't really enforced but I'm wondering if I am going to have problems with getting pulled over up there. Has anyone else had this problem or are the tint laws not enforced up there either?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 AM

66 posts, read 173,368 times
I too brought a car up from Florida which, let me tell you, had the DARKEST tinting ever, even on the driver's window (it was wonderful in Florida). I didn't have that car long, but I never got pulled over for the tint. The only issue I ran into was getting my car inspected for registration in DC. The inspector told me that I needed to get the tint removed, but still passed my car, so it may be up to their discretion. Make sure to ensure them that you will get it removed if they bring it up, maybe going as far to ask where someone might get that done. That's what I did, and I passed, and then never got it removed. What can I say, I loved that tint.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:45 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,828 times
My customs guy told me you really only have to worry when you're getting the car inspected and as Cochrynn said, my understanding is it's up to them if they want to let you through or not.

He also said that you're far more likely to have trouble in Maryland than you will in DC.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:35 AM

354 posts, read 785,582 times
if u black, police use it as an excuse to racial profile
so as long as u not black or driving a "hood" car u'll be fine

Old 05-17-2012, 01:50 PM

465 posts, read 928,593 times
Quote:
It's almost as if certain demographics of certain genders are more likely to commit crimes. Or, don't get an illegal tint.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:34 AM

460 posts, read 1,018,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
Yeah thats a pretty ignorant comment and not generally true unless you get pulled over by a "bad apple".

OP - honestly they aren't really strict on it around here either for white or black or asian or hispanic people (or anyone is my point)... Unless you are doing some shady stuff... or you get pulled over for speeding or something else.. and YOU are rude, a-hole, disrespectful... to the cop, they normally are like whatever. But if you are any of that... they will probably write you a ticket for everything they can... but that goes for ANYONE who is a jerk to them.

And there is an off chance that you get pulled over by that "one" d-bag cop that does that stuff.... but most don't. I personally had like 25% on my car when I was a teenager.... (Small little innocent looking white girl)... who got that "one" d-bag cop.. and got a ticket for it. But that was a long time ago... but just goes to show you are probably good regardless of your color, but on the off chance you were unlucky, there is still a small chance.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:11 PM

585 posts, read 2,015,828 times
I've been pulled over once (no tint currently) driving home with my boyfriend - he's a middle-aged square and we're both white (I'm technically part Latin but not enough to be racially profiled by a cop from a distance). The cop had a difficult time believing that I lived here and we weren't simply a couple of fun-loving white folks looking for dope east of the river. I hadn't yet changed my Maryland license over and had to offer to go open my mailbox for him to prove I lived here.

So yeah, if a cop wants to make something of you not fitting into the profile or standing out for driving a sketchy hooptie with a busted out headlight or whatever, they will. I'm sure tint is included in that.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:30 AM

44 posts, read 114,545 times
If your vehicle is registered in DC, the total light transmittance needs to be 70% or above. 70% is EXTREMELY light so basically no tight for DC cars. MD's TLT is 35% or above. Which is pretty dark. The police have reciprocity which means they can enforce tint laws from other states.

Having your windows tinted under 20% percent is extremely dangerous, it makes it very hard to see out of the vehicle esp during a storm and during a typical clear night.

Also from the law enforcement side it is extremely hard for them to see in the vehicle, now before some posters go "its none of their business whats it my car" remember DC had that pretty violent S. Capitol shooting which was a drive by and most recently the shooting in Congress Heights which was a drive by.

Just a thought, not a sermon.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 9,111 times
I'm a black male 54 years old in Washington DC this morning on January 23, 2014 at 10:30 AM driving from one job to another. I was stopped by this white cop. When I saw him getting out his car I let my window down and put both hands on the wheel cause he had his hand on his gun. He wanted my driver's id so I said could I unlock my seat belt to get in my pocket, he said OK. He was a nice cop, but still I have no ideal what he was thinking. I ask him what was wrong, he said give me your license and I'll tell you from there. So, I gave him my license and he said your tint in the back should be 50% and the front 70%. I have been driving my car in DC for a year come Feb 15 never had a problem until this morning and throughout the year cops been driving behind me and on the side we speak black and white cops never said a thing. Anyway after taking my license he said are they good? I said sure check if you like and he did. I wasn't scared, but I was hoping nothing come up and nothing did. So he come back to the car and want to know where I work. I told him. Then he wanted to know where was I going? I said home at the address on the license that way Sir. Then he calmly ask do you have anything illegal in the car such as drugs or a gun? I said no please check if you care to. So he gave me my license and said this is a verbal warning about your tint and I drove off. I thought when you get a warning it's a warning ticket with no charge. I have my ideal what that was all about...

Old 01-23-2014, 07:16 PM

69 posts, read 113,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoWilliamJr View Post
I'm a black male 54 years old in Washington DC this morning on January 23, 2014 at 10:30 AM driving from one job to another. I was stopped by this white cop. When I saw him getting out his car I let my window down and put both hands on the wheel cause he had his hand on his gun. He wanted my driver's id so I said could I unlock my seat belt to get in my pocket, he said OK. He was a nice cop, but still I have no ideal what he was thinking. I ask him what was wrong, he said give me your license and I'll tell you from there. So, I gave him my license and he said your tint in the back should be 50% and the front 70%. I have been driving my car in DC for a year come Feb 15 never had a problem until this morning and throughout the year cops been driving behind me and on the side we speak black and white cops never said a thing. Anyway after taking my license he said are they good? I said sure check if you like and he did. I wasn't scared, but I was hoping nothing come up and nothing did. So he come back to the car and want to know where I work. I told him. Then he wanted to know where was I going? I said home at the address on the license that way Sir. Then he calmly ask do you have anything illegal in the car such as drugs or a gun? I said no please check if you care to. So he gave me my license and said this is a verbal warning about your tint and I drove off. I thought when you get a warning it's a warning ticket with no charge. I have my ideal what that was all about...
What kind of car do you drive? Maybe that day they were looking for a car similar to yours, but you didn't fit the description. The rest is just things they have to ask. At least the cop didn't write you a ticket to meet a quota
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC