Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:25 PM

165 posts, read 530,226 times

Advertisements

This map, if it's accurate, illustrates how far gentrification has come in DC. 25 years ago, much of inner-city NW - DW (Shaw, Cardozo, Bloomingdale, Eckington, Stadium-Armory, etc). would have been marked red.

I question the abrupt sudden change in colors on the border between SE - DC and PG County (Suitland, Coral Hills, District Heights, Glassmanor, Hillcrest heights). Aren't the latter areas quite crime-ridden too ? Although granted, their population density is slightly lower than that of the DC side. How can you color them in the same category as Bethesda or McLean ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 AM

162 posts, read 458,483 times
Awesome sticky, helped answer pretty much most questions I have.

I'm being transferred for work to Bethesda after the summer, but I have only been to the metro area once, and I'm looking to live somewhere close to the metro with decent nightlife.

This thread helps a lot. Thank you!

Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 AM

38 posts, read 96,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane2 View Post
This map, if it's accurate, illustrates how far gentrification has come in DC. 25 years ago, much of inner-city NW - DW (Shaw, Cardozo, Bloomingdale, Eckington, Stadium-Armory, etc). would have been marked red.

I question the abrupt sudden change in colors on the border between SE - DC and PG County (Suitland, Coral Hills, District Heights, Glassmanor, Hillcrest heights). Aren't the latter areas quite crime-ridden too ? Although granted, their population density is slightly lower than that of the DC side. How can you color them in the same category as Bethesda or McLean ?
All of those areas along with Landover, Capitol Heights, Riverdale and some others are getting worst.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:26 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Rae View Post
Awesome sticky, helped answer pretty much most questions I have.

I'm being transferred for work to Bethesda after the summer, but I have only been to the metro area once, and I'm looking to live somewhere close to the metro with decent nightlife.

This thread helps a lot. Thank you!
I can't attest for nightlife but I know that Bethesda has lots of restaurants. So if you can afford it you can live in Bethesda itself. If not maybe further up the red line like Rockville. If you wanna be a city gal then maybe Woodley Park or Adams Morgan you can take the red line to Bethesda without having to change trains.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I can't attest for nightlife but I know that Bethesda has lots of restaurants. So if you can afford it you can live in Bethesda itself. If not maybe further up the red line like Rockville. If you wanna be a city gal then maybe Woodley Park or Adams Morgan you can take the red line to Bethesda without having to change trains.
Thank you, Terrence. I have had a couple of friends tell me that Woodley Park and Adams Morgan are great areas. And since I'm not familiar with how the metro runs, I probably will look to live off the red line.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 AM

65 posts, read 164,884 times
Quote:
Thank you, Terrence. I have had a couple of friends tell me that Woodley Park and Adams Morgan are great areas. And since I'm not familiar with how the metro runs, I probably will look to live off the red line.
Okay I'll explain to you how metro runs.

Its a subway system that serves the city and suburbs. There are 5 lines. The red line, blue line, green line, yellow line and, orange line.

There are 86 stations total and 106.3 miles of track.
It is the second busiest subway system in the county behind New York City.

The hours of operation are:
Sunday: 7am-Midnight
Monday-Thursday: 5am-midnight
Friday: 5am-3am
Saturday: 7am-3am

Fares are based on distance and when you ride it.
Rush hour (Peak Fare) will cost you more and depending on how far you travel it can cost you up to $5.30 during this time.

Rush hour is:
5am-9:30am
3:00pm-7:00pm
rush hour fare is also charges on Friday and Saturday nights after midnight.

Also here is the metro system on google maps so you can see where each station is physically and how far each line reaches:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...63579&t=h&z=12

**You may need to wait a moment for the icons and lines to load up***

Last edited by Chocolate City 202; 04-01-2011 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate City 202 View Post
Okay I'll explain to you how metro runs.

Its a subway system that serves the city and suburbs. There are 5 lines. The red line, blue line, green line, yellow line and, orange line.

There are 86 stations total and 106.3 miles of track.
It is the second busiest subway system in the county behind New York City.

The hours of operation are:
Sunday: 7am-Midnight
Monday-Thursday: 5am-midnight
Friday: 5am-3am
Saturday: 7am-3am

Fares are based on distance and when you ride it.
Rush hour (Peak Fare) will cost you more and depending on how far you travel it can cost you up to $5.30 during this time.

Rush hour is:
5am-9:30am
3:00pm-7:00pm
rush hour fare is also charges on Friday and Saturday nights after midnight.

Also here is the metro system on google maps so you can see where each station is physically and how far each line reaches:
WMATA map (DC area subway) - Google Maps

**You may need to wait a moment for the icons and lines to load up***
Hey, thank you much for your help. I had, in fact, checked out the system map earlier to familiarize myself--I just wasn't sure how reliable the metro was...I am constantly annoyed with the CTA (Chicago) here, so if the metro/buses were similar, it would affect where I decided to move.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:44 PM

159 posts, read 279,601 times
Quote:
Hey, thank you much for your help. I had, in fact, checked out the system map earlier to familiarize myself--I just wasn't sure how reliable the metro was...I am constantly annoyed with the CTA (Chicago) here, so if the metro/buses were similar, it would affect where I decided to move.
Thought I'd chime in.
I'm not gonna beat around the bush. Metro has many problems.
Trains do breakdown a few times a day and on weekends depending on track work or constructions there will be delays on certain lines or certain segments of lines because of single tracking. Sometimes there will be instances where an entire segment of a line is closed due to major track work and one would need to catch a shuttle bus around it. Overall Metro is still a pretty reliable system, but **** does happen....

This is a disruption report from February 15th:

Unexpected Service Disruptions:

5:00 a.m. An Orange Line train at Vienna delayed due to equipment on the tracks.

5:42 a.m. A Blue Line train at Largo delayed due to maintenance problem.

5:44 a.m. A Yellow Line train at Alexandria Yard delayed due to track problem.

5:45 a.m. A Yellow Line train at National Airport outbound to delayed due to equipment on the tracks.

7:07 a.m. An Orange Line train at West Falls Church outbound to Dunn Loring was not dispatched due to maintenance problem.

7:22 a.m. An Orange Line train at Ballston inbound to Virginia Square was taken out of service due to a door problem; customers were required to exit the train.

7:37 a.m. A Blue Line train at Largo Town Center was not dispatched due to brake problem.

7:50 a.m. A Green Line train at Navy Yard inbound to Waterfront delayed due to sick customer; customers were required to exit the train.

7:55 a.m. An Orange Line train at Metro Center inbound to delayed due to customer falling on the platform.

8:33 a.m. A Green Line train at Navy Yard outbound to Anacostia delayed due to unattended package.

9:27 a.m. A Red Line train at Woodley Park Zoo inbound to Dupont Circle was taken out of service due to a door problem; customers were required to exit the train.

11:32 a.m. A Blue Line train at Arlington Cemetery outbound to Pentagon was taken out of service due to a brake problem; customers were required to exit the train.

1:09 p.m. A Blue Line train at Braddock Road outbound to King Street delayed due to track problem.

4:07 p.m. A Red Line train at Fort Totten inbound to Brookland was taken out of service due to a maintenance problem; customers were required to exit the train.

5:31 p.m. An Orange Line train at Minnesota Avenue outbound to Deanwood was taken out of service due to a maintenance problem; customers were required to exit the train.

5:51 p.m. A Blue Line train at Eastern Market outbound to Potomac Avenue was taken out of service due to a brake problem; customers were required to exit the train.

6:51 p.m. A Blue Line train at Largo Town Center was not dispatched due to no cars available.

10:50 p.m. A Red Line train at Fort Totten outbound to Takoma was taken out of service due to a door problem; customers were required to exit the train.

^^^ Thats pretty much an average weekday for METRO

Old 04-05-2011, 10:26 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Yeah but trains break down in New York. Every city has its problems. I would say the biggest nuisance with metro is the escalators breaking down all the time. But even that is luxury problem since a lot of cities don't even have escalators for their rail lines stations.

I still stand by my Woodley Park/Adams Morgan suggestion. I really like that area. Woodley Park is a little more quiet while Adams Morgan is more adventurous with lots of bars.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Tunechi View Post
Thought I'd chime in.
I'm not gonna beat around the bush. Metro has many problems.
Trains do breakdown a few times a day and on weekends depending on track work or constructions there will be delays on certain lines or certain segments of lines because of single tracking. Sometimes there will be instances where an entire segment of a line is closed due to major track work and one would need to catch a shuttle bus around it. Overall Metro is still a pretty reliable system, but **** does happen....

This is a disruption report from February 15th:

Unexpected Service Disruptions:

5:00 a.m. An Orange Line train at Vienna delayed due to equipment on the tracks.

5:42 a.m. A Blue Line train at Largo delayed due to maintenance problem.

5:44 a.m. A Yellow Line train at Alexandria Yard delayed due to track problem.

5:45 a.m. A Yellow Line train at National Airport outbound to delayed due to equipment on the tracks.

7:07 a.m. An Orange Line train at West Falls Church outbound to Dunn Loring was not dispatched due to maintenance problem.

7:22 a.m. An Orange Line train at Ballston inbound to Virginia Square was taken out of service due to a door problem; customers were required to exit the train.

7:37 a.m. A Blue Line train at Largo Town Center was not dispatched due to brake problem.

7:50 a.m. A Green Line train at Navy Yard inbound to Waterfront delayed due to sick customer; customers were required to exit the train.

7:55 a.m. An Orange Line train at Metro Center inbound to delayed due to customer falling on the platform.

8:33 a.m. A Green Line train at Navy Yard outbound to Anacostia delayed due to unattended package.

9:27 a.m. A Red Line train at Woodley Park Zoo inbound to Dupont Circle was taken out of service due to a door problem; customers were required to exit the train.

11:32 a.m. A Blue Line train at Arlington Cemetery outbound to Pentagon was taken out of service due to a brake problem; customers were required to exit the train.

1:09 p.m. A Blue Line train at Braddock Road outbound to King Street delayed due to track problem.

4:07 p.m. A Red Line train at Fort Totten inbound to Brookland was taken out of service due to a maintenance problem; customers were required to exit the train.

5:31 p.m. An Orange Line train at Minnesota Avenue outbound to Deanwood was taken out of service due to a maintenance problem; customers were required to exit the train.

5:51 p.m. A Blue Line train at Eastern Market outbound to Potomac Avenue was taken out of service due to a brake problem; customers were required to exit the train.

6:51 p.m. A Blue Line train at Largo Town Center was not dispatched due to no cars available.

10:50 p.m. A Red Line train at Fort Totten outbound to Takoma was taken out of service due to a door problem; customers were required to exit the train.

^^^ Thats pretty much an average weekday for METRO
Eeep! But I will say that I really hate driving, so as much as I may complain, I am grateful that there is even mass transit as an option...

Thanks for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC