Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 01:32 PM

23 posts, read 68,538 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from the rural South but I have lived years in several cities in the Midwest. I have never lived on the East cost. What are some things that may be a culture shock to me? What are some common etiquette rules of a Washingtonian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 01:38 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderWoman10 View Post
What are some common etiquette rules of a Washingtonian?
Never answer the phone on the first ring.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:51 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Well on the East Coast people are a lot more reserved. You're from the rural South... I'm guessing when you pass people on the street you at least give each other a smile and maybe a 'good morning.' I'm also guessing it's a slower pace of life.

In DC and basically all of the Boston-Washington megalopolis, people don't do that. It's faster paced (although DC is slower than NYC for sure). People aren't necessarily rude - they'll hold doors and elevators usually - but they don't go out of their way to be super nice.

Also be warned that this city attracts a lot of power hungry people. Walking definitions of "the things you own end up owning you." They're dicks, but they're easily identified (if your job doesn't impress them or they don't think they can use you to advance their career, they'll ignore you). It also attracts a lot of good people who want to make a difference, but because of the East Coast culture you might not know it till you talk to them.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:34 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,748 times
DC is all about politics. The topic of conversation at most parties or social gatherings involve this in some way (At least in my experiences). I never been to a political fundraiser or a political rally until I moved here. Now, I go to them quite often. Lots of people here are involved in the government, non-profit, military, or a profession of that sort. Hell, even me and my partner are. In contrast, most of the locals are not involved in those professions. Most of the people I run with are not from the DC area though. So I would say it's a 50/50 divide. A lot of very highly educated people end up here. So there seems to be a somewhat snobbish attitude that clouds this city. Though certainly not all act this way. It just depends on who you hang around with. And a snob to me might be a best friend to you, so it's just a matter of opinion.

As for etiquette, it's just like any other big east coast city. Crazy drivers, people on sidewalks always think they have the right-of-way, and never obey the crossing signals. But one thing to keep in mind. When on the escalators, please keep to the right. The left side is reserved for those who are in a rush. Theres nothing more annoying than a pack of tourist kids who hog up the escalators...

Old 10-16-2010, 03:39 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
One etiquette rule here is this: let people off the Metro/elevators/etc before trying to get in. It is so frustrating when people try to barge in before others are off. There is very little time at each stop..allow the natural flow of off first, then on.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:39 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,306 times
I am from the backwoods of Mississippi so I can tell you up front. It is a big, big culture difference. Most people on the street don't speak unless they personally know you and a lot of people want speak unless they think you are on their level. The place is very political and academic. That has its good and bad sides. I love the facts that I can find myself in an educated discussion at any given times but a lot of my friends here don't like sports or strip clubs. I am a football fanatic and sometimes, I just want to go to the strip club and watch a few women let loose.

Crazy thing is about 6 months, you will find yourself blending right in. You will stop randomly speaking to people yourself.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:51 PM

777 posts, read 1,872,917 times
On the MetroRail escalators (when they're working, which is a rarity), stand right, walk left!

Old 10-16-2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks these tips are really helpful! I think the most shocking tip was stars99 comment. I was raised in Chicago and my Grandmother would tell me not pick up the phone until it rings twice but I just thought that it was her personal preference, I didn't know it was an etiquette. Lol Why is that?

Old 10-16-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
DC is all about politics. The topic of conversation at most parties or social gatherings involve this in some way (At least in my experiences). I never been to a political fundraiser or a political rally until I moved here. Now, I go to them quite often. Lots of people here are involved in the government, non-profit, military, or a profession of that sort. Hell, even me and my partner are. In contrast, most of the locals are not involved in those professions. Most of the people I run with are not from the DC area though. So I would say it's a 50/50 divide. A lot of very highly educated people end up here. So there seems to be a somewhat snobbish attitude that clouds this city. Though certainly not all act this way. It just depends on who you hang around with. And a snob to me might be a best friend to you, so it's just a matter of opinion.

As for etiquette, it's just like any other big east coast city. Crazy drivers, people on sidewalks always think they have the right-of-way, and never obey the crossing signals. But one thing to keep in mind. When on the escalators, please keep to the right. The left side is reserved for those who are in a rush. Theres nothing more annoying than a pack of tourist kids who hog up the escalators...
I know you said that Politics at parties and social gatherings are discussed a lot but is it more of people giving their political opinions and passionately debating or people discussing current events but not disclosing their political views? I'm just curious because I stray away from that topic when I do no know someone well.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:22 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,622,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderWoman10 View Post
Thanks these tips are really helpful! I think the most shocking tip was stars99 comment. I was raised in Chicago and my Grandmother would tell me not pick up the phone until it rings twice but I just thought that it was her personal preference, I didn't know it was an etiquette. Lol Why is that?
I think he was just kidding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC