Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 AM

13 posts, read 68,144 times

Advertisements

I have been accepted to George Washington and American University Master of Public Administration programs and will be relocating to DC this Summer. I'm also waiting to hear if I've been accepted to George Mason in VA.

I live in Seattle and know little about these schools other than what I've read online or been told by current students and admissions department staff. So, I'm looking for the REAL scoop! What kind of reputation do these three schools have in DC? Well respected? A party school? Easy or difficult classes?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,580 times
I find GW has the best alumni network in DC. I run into GW alums or professors frequently and everyone that I know who went to GW has a pretty good job in the city. To me, that network is the most important thing; especially if you're planning on remaining in DC.

I know American has a very strong program as well and you can't go wrong there. I don't know much about George Mason's program. If I had to rate their reputation in the city it would be 1) GW, 2) American, 3) George Mason.

I know people that have gone through the GW and American program, and they have seemed very engaged and challenged by their classes, but no one complained about them being too rigorous.

I think the grad program social scene and the undergrad social scene are pretty disassociated, so I'm not sure that a graduate experience would really qualify any of the schools as a party school.

That's my opinion, but I may be influenced by knowing more GW alums (who all seem to have loved their time at GW) than the other two schools.

Edit: I'm in healthcare policy, and my gf took a health policy course at GW, and it was taught by the top Republican health policy advisor of the Senate Finance Committee. Having real professionals of that caliber teaching their courses is pretty outstanding in my opinion. I'd rather have that than some published professor who hasn't been in the trenches in decades, if ever.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudentmom View Post
I have been accepted to George Washington and American University Master of Public Administration programs and will be relocating to DC this Summer. I'm also waiting to hear if I've been accepted to George Mason in VA.

I live in Seattle and know little about these schools other than what I've read online or been told by current students and admissions department staff. So, I'm looking for the REAL scoop! What kind of reputation do these three schools have in DC? Well respected? A party school? Easy or difficult classes?

Thank you!
You have applied to three schools, been accepted to two of them thus far, and are waiting to hear from the third and now want the real scoop?

Seems rather late in the process.

Anyway, all three have a decent reputation overall with GW probably being the best and most expensive. GW probably is more well known across the country. Both GW and AU are well known on the East Coast although Mason's basketball team has helped put them in the limelight.

As for partying, well, you are going to grad school, no? No idea about Mason. GW and AU are well stocked with attractive women. Both have frats and no doubt you can find a few guys to booze it up with.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
As for partying, well, you are going to grad school, no? No idea about Mason. GW and AU are well stocked with attractive women. Both have frats and no doubt you can find a few guys to booze it up with.
With a toddler and husband at home, I won't be doing any boozing with frat guys. Thanks for your "helpful comments".

Old 03-02-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
I find GW has the best alumni network in DC. I run into GW alums or professors frequently and everyone that I know who went to GW has a pretty good job in the city. To me, that network is the most important thing; especially if you're planning on remaining in DC.

I know American has a very strong program as well and you can't go wrong there. I don't know much about George Mason's program. If I had to rate their reputation in the city it would be 1) GW, 2) American, 3) George Mason.

Thank you, KStreetQB. Your comment confirms what I've heard from others.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:13 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
I am currently in George Mason's Masters in Public Policy program. I love it. It has definitely been a challenge but I do feel a tad bit too long. I finish in August.

I will admit though GWU has the best network I have seen in the city.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:58 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,866,250 times

What are your intentions after you graduate? Do you plan on staying in the DC area or moving back to Seattle? If you are planning on staying in the DC area to pursue job opportunities after you graduate than i'd say, given your choices, George Washington would be my first choice. As others have stated it does have a strong alumni/networking presence in the city. I am an alumni of Georgetown and George Washington's rep in the DC area isn't too far off of ours. If you are planning on leaving after graduating, then I'd have to suggest American University. I think that brand name is more widely known on a national and international level than GW is. American has a number of top flight international institutions which may afford you better opportunities to practice public policy on an international level. Honestly, I believe that's the biggest difference between the two programs. American is more international focused whereas GW is more Washington focused. Which leads me to George Mason. Mason is a good school but it's not quite on the level of GW or American. I'd go there if they were offering me scholarship or grant money than the other two. That would be the only reason for choosing GM over the other two. Academically they are all respected, it's just that some schools have more of an alumni/social network in this city than others. In all honestly, I can't really name any university in the DC/MD/VA area isn't respected academically when compared to other major metro areas across the US. DC is a hyper competitive educational market.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:06 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudentmom View Post
With a toddler and husband at home, I won't be doing any boozing with frat guys. Thanks for your "helpful comments".
Sorry, I misread your party school question. Missed your gender as well- such are the fortunes of posting at a rapid clip while at work.

Anyway- whatever partying there is at AU or GW, you can certainly avoid it. Neither are UVM.

Good luck.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:31 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,623,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post

What are your intentions after you graduate? Do you plan on staying in the DC area or moving back to Seattle? If you are planning on staying in the DC area to pursue job opportunities after you graduate than i'd say, given your choices, George Washington would be my first choice. As others have stated it does have a strong alumni/networking presence in the city. I am an alumni of Georgetown and George Washington's rep in the DC area isn't too far off of ours. If you are planning on leaving after graduating, then I'd have to suggest American University. I think that brand name is more widely known on a national and international level than GW is. American has a number of top flight international institutions which may afford you better opportunities to practice public policy on an international level. Honestly, I believe that's the biggest difference between the two programs. American is more international focused whereas GW is more Washington focused. Which leads me to George Mason. Mason is a good school but it's not quite on the level of GW or American. I'd go there if they were offering me scholarship or grant money than the other two. That would be the only reason for choosing GM over the other two. Academically they are all respected, it's just that some schools have more of an alumni/social network in this city than others. In all honestly, I can't really name any university in the DC/MD/VA area isn't respected academically when compared to other major metro areas across the US. DC is a hyper competitive educational market.
I hear UDC is about as respectable as a Libyan dictator...

Old 03-02-2011, 01:38 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
I hear UDC is about as respectable as a Libyan dictator...
Their grad and law programs have better reps. However, I think the Undergrad rep will improve now they are not open enrollment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC