Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,368 times

Advertisements

I will do an internship in DC and it's paid but not much. So I am thinking about saving on rent by living a little far and spend more time commuting. My current choice is to live somewhere 10 mintues' drive to Glenmonth Metro Station. But I don't have a car, so I plan to take the bus to Silver Spring Metro Station. Do you have an idea of how much it will cost monthly to take the bus and metro every day?
If I live closer by, do you think the transportation fee will be much less? I don't want to live far away and then end up spending a lot more on transportation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:14 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,947,671 times
The trip planner on WMATA's website will calculate the fares for: trip planner

Fares on metro are based on distance, so you'll need to know which station you will be traveling to in order to calculate fares. Using Metro Center as an example, Glenmont to Metro Center during 'peak of the peak' is $4.75 each way. If you take a bus to Silver Spring, that's $1.50. The fare from Silver spring to metro center is $3.45, minus a 20-cent discount for the transfer. Thus 1.50 + 3.25 = 4.75. So, ultimately the same expense. My advice would be to avoid transfers if you can--waiting for your connection is time consuming. Some day's you'll get luck and make the connection smoothly with no wait. Other days you'll miss and have to wait ten or twenty minutes. Day after day, it adds up.

4.75 x 2 (round trip) = 9.50 x 20 work days per month (approximately) = $190/mnth

Of course, the cost to other downtown stations are different. Use the link above to calculate your own costs.

commuting costs are definitely a significant expense. I've known more than a few people who turned down jobs because of the commute expense, and many who've chosen to live in the city because the commute costs makes the suburbs just as expensive as the city.

Last edited by kodaka; 04-04-2011 at 06:29 PM..

Old 04-04-2011, 06:22 PM

159 posts, read 281,371 times
You should just do it all be bus and leave out the train.
There are buses from Silver Spring station that go downtown:

S2, S4 (16th Street local)
S9 (16th Street express)
70, 71 (Georgia Ave-7th street local)
79 (Georgia Ave-7th street express)

Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,368 times
Thanks a lot!! I am not familiar with DC and these are good advice!!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,760,582 times
$3.15 was what I usually got one way on Metro.

If you live in Silver Spring, it would only be about 6 to 7 miles, but you are on billion traffic lights and never ending construction zone on Georgia Ave, so your gas will cost billions and it'll take you at least 40 to 2 hours depending on where you have to go in DC.

Take the metro and not the bus.

Better yet, ask for metro benefits. You should be able to get your metro smart card filled for free every month, even if you're an intern, if you're at the right company. If you're not, leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC