Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2011, 05:51 PM

13 posts, read 52,875 times

Advertisements

So,I am a med student and planning on doing a clinical rotation (2-3months) at Washington Hospital Center (110 Irving St NW # 3B28, Washington D.C).Never lived here before,so ANY help/feedback on where to look will be great!

I will be by myself and have no car (I can't drive and afford one).Due to my measly budget,I would be willing to share accommodation with 2-3 other students in the area.It's imperative for me to find housing as close as possible to the places above or at the very least,live by close proximity to public transport.

1.Budget = $ 250-400(max)..or stretch it to 500 if need be.
2. House/Condo/Townhome?= anything that's cheap
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)= commute (no car)
4. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: Anything
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?: VERY important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: safety
8. Airport Proximity: Not important
9. Sharing? Yes

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 05:54 PM

885 posts, read 1,552,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminus View Post

1.Budget = $ 250-400(max)..or stretch it to 500 if need be.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:47 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Have you looked at craigslist? At the end of the day you aren't going to find the most desirable housing in that price range. You'll be looking for a room for rent not even thinking about a one bedroom or studio. The neighborhoods that come to mind are Petworth, Brookland, and Takoma. Even in those neighborhoods it'll be a tough hunt. Silver Spring might be another option to consider. The price range is still incredibly low for this area but still wish you the best of luck.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:05 PM

229 posts, read 515,025 times
Only way you'll manage that is if you roommate with 2 others in a three-bedroom low income apartment. There are actually a few in Columbia Heights south of Columbia Rd (Metro Station is right on Irving St., I believe).

Good luck.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleSeaGoat View Post
Only way you'll manage that is if you roommate with 2 others in a three-bedroom low income apartment. There are actually a few in Columbia Heights south of Columbia Rd (Metro Station is right on Irving St., I believe).

Good luck.
Yes,I am looking at sharing an apartment with roommates,so that will not be an issue at all.What online resources/websites do you recommend for locating a place at CH? How 'bout the safety factor? Thanks

Old 04-14-2011, 08:08 PM

229 posts, read 515,025 times
Quote:
Yes,I am looking at sharing an apartment with roommates,so that will not be an issue at all.What online resources/websites do you recommend for locating a place at CH? How 'bout the safety factor? Thanks
Honestly, since we're dealing with such a small area of Washington D.C., you won't find a lot of resources with thorough and up-to-date information on residential availability.

Your best bet would be to either call the leasing offices of all the CH apartments or schedule a day (preferably a weekday, since most of the leasing offices won't be open on the weekend) to walk through the neighborhood and ask for rental prices.

One such place is the Wardman Court Apartments (formerly known as the Clifton Terrace Apts). It's been recently renovated (virtually gutted) and it's a lot safer and quieter now. It's also a low-income apartment, with a two bedroom costing about 1150 a month, not including electricity. Three bedrooms are also available, which is what you might want to look at. The 3-bedroom will probably run 1400-1500, which is in your price range if everyone's splitting evenly. They have some strict guidelines, however: Must fall within a certain income bracket and the primary lease holder cannot be taking more than 9 credit hours a week.

I'd give them a call.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Have you looked at craigslist? At the end of the day you aren't going to find the most desirable housing in that price range. You'll be looking for a room for rent not even thinking about a one bedroom or studio. The neighborhoods that come to mind are Petworth, Brookland, and Takoma. Even in those neighborhoods it'll be a tough hunt. Silver Spring might be another option to consider. The price range is still incredibly low for this area but still wish you the best of luck.
Thanks for your response! I skimmed for Takoma on craigslist and it looks like 500 would be doable.But I am concerned about the length of commute from there.Any comments? Which of the places you mention would be a best bet? A friend also suggested Arlington,any feedback? Thanks again!

Old 04-15-2011, 01:25 PM

38 posts, read 29,797 times
Quote:
Thanks for your response! I skimmed for Takoma on craigslist and it looks like 500 would be doable.But I am concerned about the length of commute from there.Any comments? Which of the places you mention would be a best bet? A friend also suggested Arlington,any feedback? Thanks again!
Arlington is too expesive and you won't like that commute.

Takoma is much closer, only two stops away on the red line and all you have to do is catch the free shuttle bus that goes from Brookland station to Washington Hospital Center.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:11 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
I live in Arlington and love it but wouldn't recommend it for someone in your situation. While you can live without a car in Arlington you'll definitely miss having wheels. Also its quite expensive even a cheaper neighborhood like mine.

I understand the desire to live in Columbia Heights, but I honestly would be surprised if you found anything decent in your price range in that neighborhood. Takoma and Petworth are more affordable neighborhoods, while still offering metro access. You should also consider Silver Spring. The further you get from the city center the better your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: