Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 03:02 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,380 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. So my parents, my sister, and her boyfriend are coming to DC on Thursday & will be staying in a hotel in Penn Quarter. They asked me to make plans for the day to do some things that aren't the typical tourist things, but are still fun. I live on H Street so I don't really know what to do in Penn Quarter. I was thinking the National Building Museum & maybe Fords Theater. Also, what are some good non chain restaurants in the Penn Quarter/downtown area that we could take metro to? I was thinking Founding Farmers but am open to suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 03:48 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Hey everyone. So my parents, my sister, and her boyfriend are coming to DC on Thursday & will be staying in a hotel in Penn Quarter. They asked me to make plans for the day to do some things that aren't the typical tourist things, but are still fun. I live on H Street so I don't really know what to do in Penn Quarter. I was thinking the National Building Museum & maybe Fords Theater. Also, what are some good non chain restaurants in the Penn Quarter/downtown area that we could take metro to? I was thinking Founding Farmers but am open to suggestions.
Well, Ford's Theatre is about as typical a tourist thing as possible and the tour buses always seem to be parked on 10th between E and F. An alternative might be the Newseum, which is near the Archives station.

There are plenty of good restaurants. Jaleo has been around forever at 7th and E. Central is at 11th and Penn. Fogo de Chao is across the street. Zatinya is on 9th between G and H. Rosa Mexicano technically is part of a chain, but it's fun (7th and F).

Old 08-04-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Well, Ford's Theatre is about as typical a tourist thing as possible and the tour buses always seem to be parked on 10th between E and F. An alternative might be the Newseum, which is near the Archives station.

There are plenty of good restaurants. Jaleo has been around forever at 7th and E. Central is at 11th and Penn. Fogo de Chao is across the street. Zatinya is on 9th between G and H. Rosa Mexicano technically is part of a chain, but it's fun (7th and F).
I know Fords Theater is a typical tourist thing, but its the only typical tourist thing they haven't done. They have done the Newseum though & loved it, but I don't think they would want to go again. But thanks for the restaurant suggestions, I will definitely look into them

Old 08-04-2014, 04:24 PM

494 posts, read 849,880 times
Everything around there is touristy. I liked the Spy Museum. Do one of the spy adventures if they have been already.
The Portrait Gallery is also very good and isn't one of the most visited Smithsonian museums.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:30 PM

Since they live out in Loudoun they have done a lot of stuff, including what you have mentioned. My current plan is to meet them at the metro station, take them to Fords theater since they haven't done it yet, take them to national building museum, & then do some shopping on F street before going somewhere for dinner. I know these are all pretty close together, but is the national building museum within a 10 minute walk of the archives, the station they will probably get off of?

Old 08-04-2014, 05:00 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Fogo de Chao is across the street
Fogo de Chao is a chain, also.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 PM

741 posts, read 1,113,410 times
Here's my list of activities I consider fun to do in Penn Quarter:

* Woolly Mammoth Theatre at 641 D St NW (Stupid F**king Bird now playing).
* National Portrait Gallery
* Harman Center for the Arts - Shakespeare Theatre (nothing playing this week but it's one of my favorites).
* Jazz in the Garden at the Sculpture Garden (every Friday, 5:30pm to 8:30pm). A Brazilian Jazz group will be playing on Friday, August 8th.
* District Architecture Center at 421 7th St NW (current exhibit is Local Designers Global Visions).
* German American Heritage Museum at 719 Sixth St NW.
* Summer Block Party Late Night at the National Building Museum. Open Thursdays from 5pm to 9pm.

As for restaurants,

* Zengo at 781 7th St, NW. Latin-Asian fusion. I especially like the ambiance of the downstairs bar.
* Asian Spice at 717 H St, NW. Pan-Asian.
* Proof Restaurant and Wine Bar at 775 G St, NW.
* Daikaya at 705 Sixth St, NW. Ramen.
* CoCo Sala at 929 F St, NW. The connected chocolate shop is awesome as well.
* Zaytinya at 701 Ninth St, NW. Mediterranean.
* The Partisan at 709 D St, NW.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:47 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
You guys are recommending some expensive restaurants. She/he might not be a millionaire.

There are more affordable places like Clyde's and Matchbox (local small chains).

How have I not heard of the German American museum? I need to check that out.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:02 AM

494 posts, read 849,880 times
Why limit yourself to Penn Quartet? Just get on the Metro and you can go to many different places. That area is a good home base though.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,890 times
Also, if you do go to Founding Farmers, make sure you make a reservation 10 years ahead. That place is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: