Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 03:02 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I too think Trinidad will gentrify before Anacostia which was my previous point. It just makes sense geographically due to being closer to already gentrified areas. With H street transitioning I'm sure Trinidad is soon to follow.
Do you think there's a stigma attached to living east of N. Capitol Street? I know some people who are fixated on having that "NW" at the end of their street address. Eckington, for the most part, is the same neighborhood as Bloomingdale, but the fact that the latter is in NW makes the properties a bit pricier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 07:09 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,952 times
All DC neighborhoods will eventually gentrify. Then we can do this:
Hulu - Saturday Night Live: White Like Me

Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 PM

47 posts, read 93,807 times
Barry Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Once people realize what a beautiful rec center Deanwood has, that mixed-used development goes up at Minn and Benning (Ray's the Steaks has already become a broad attraction), and redevelopment moves east, I don't see why the Deanwood / Minnesota Ave area would be overlooked.
seriously??
my friend used to live over by minnesota ave metro, and he wouldn't walk around there at night..
i have seen him to go buy heroin and crack in some really sketch places
good thing he is past that part of his life..

Old 06-03-2011, 02:54 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0482 View Post
Barry Farm

seriously??
my friend used to live over by minnesota ave metro, and he wouldn't walk around there at night..
i have seen him to go buy heroin and crack in some really sketch places
good thing he is past that part of his life..
And? People used to do the same in Dupont Circle in the 70s-80s, Columbia Heights in the 90s-00s. Neighborhoods change, and often very quickly once they do, for better and/or worse. I was just pointing out that, with new businesses / government offices already moving in, the planned developments in that area, and redevelopment already not far over the bridge, I don't think that area will never gentrify. More likely than other areas further removed.

I've heard Barry Farm might not exist much longer as straight public housing. I could be wrong on that.

Last edited by Bluefly; 06-03-2011 at 03:02 AM..

Old 06-03-2011, 04:50 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
Quote:
And? People used to do the same in Dupont Circle in the 70s-80s, Columbia Heights in the 90s-00s. Neighborhoods change, and often very quickly once they do, for better and/or worse. I was just pointing out that, with new businesses / government offices already moving in, the planned developments in that area, and redevelopment already not far over the bridge, I don't think that area will never gentrify. More likely than other areas further removed.

I've heard Barry Farm might not exist much longer as straight public housing. I could be wrong on that.
I think you exaggerate how sketchy Dupont was in the 80s and underestimate how sketchy parts of Columbia Heights remain today.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I think you exaggerate how sketchy Dupont was in the 80s and underestimate how sketchy parts of Columbia Heights remain today.
I didn't say anything about crime. You're going to tell me the ability to buy drugs on the street in Columbia Heights is anywhere near what it was 10-20 years ago? You just said on another thread that you came in from the suburbs and drove through Columbia Heights / Logan Circle area for the first time in a long time a couple weeks ago.

For those of us who live in this area and have been walking these streets for many years, I'm not sure you're qualified to be educating us about the evolution of the open-air drug market. It's vastly different and Minn Ave / Benning area will probably go through a similar (though not as extreme) transition to a more underground market in the near future once these mixed-use developments get built and that area becomes more of a destination for residents east of the river.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:53 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Do you think there's a stigma attached to living east of N. Capitol Street? I know some people who are fixated on having that "NW" at the end of their street address. Eckington, for the most part, is the same neighborhood as Bloomingdale, but the fact that the latter is in NW makes the properties a bit pricier.
What do I think? Well I think that yeah there's still somewhat of a stigma but just look at Capitol Hill that's all NE and SE addresses and its an awesome area especially around Union Station and Eastern Market. So I think the idea that only NW is desireable is starting to shed away. However I'm not sure you'll find moving into Eckington anytime soon but Capitol Hill is neighborhood that I'd seriously consider moving into. My time in Bloomingdale has been brief but I thought it was nicer. Eckington made me nervous despite the beautiful rowhouses. Now is that because of the NE address not too sure because as mentioned I'm on the Hill like every weekend which is also NE.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about crime. You're going to tell me the ability to buy drugs on the street in Columbia Heights is anywhere near what it was 10-20 years ago? You just said on another thread that you came in from the suburbs and drove through Columbia Heights / Logan Circle area for the first time in a long time a couple weeks ago.

For those of us who live in this area and have been walking these streets for many years, I'm not sure you're qualified to be educating us about the evolution of the open-air drug market. It's vastly different and Minn Ave / Benning area will probably go through a similar (though not as extreme) transition to a more underground market in the near future once these mixed-use developments get built and that area becomes more of a destination for residents east of the river.
Well to be fair there are parts of Columbia Heights that are sketchy. I know several people in Columbia Heights but unless I'm right on 14th street where things are I'm always a little careful when walking to and from my truck. Now I'm so nervous that I will refuse to visit them but I'm just a little extra careful about my surroundings. Logan Circle is perfectly fine. Shaw and Mt Vernon I'm a again a little more careful particularly if I didn't drive into the city.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Well to be fair there are parts of Columbia Heights that are sketchy. I know several people in Columbia Heights but unless I'm right on 14th street where things are I'm always a little careful when walking to and from my truck. Now I'm so nervous that I will refuse to visit them but I'm just a little extra careful about my surroundings. Logan Circle is perfectly fine. Shaw and Mt Vernon I'm a again a little more careful particularly if I didn't drive into the city.
I never said there aren't sketchy parts of CH. I don't know why people keep saying that. I was just talking about how there used to be a flourishing open-air drug market there and now there isn't.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:55 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
What do I think? Well I think that yeah there's still somewhat of a stigma but just look at Capitol Hill that's all NE and SE addresses and its an awesome area especially around Union Station and Eastern Market. So I think the idea that only NW is desireable is starting to shed away. However I'm not sure you'll find moving into Eckington anytime soon but Capitol Hill is neighborhood that I'd seriously consider moving into. My time in Bloomingdale has been brief but I thought it was nicer. Eckington made me nervous despite the beautiful rowhouses. Now is that because of the NE address not too sure because as mentioned I'm on the Hill like every weekend which is also NE.
I think Eckington will turn over pretty quickly. They're building new condos right next to the FedEx building and they have luxury condos going up at the corner of 4th and Rhode Island. There's a lot of the hood element that still needs to be eliminated in that neighborhood, but I think there's been so much money invested into it that they'll "will" Eckington into a gentrified area. For now, though, the area south of McKinley Tech seems to be fine. Lincoln Road and the area north of McKinley? Eh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC