Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 10:16 AM

13 posts, read 68,144 times

Advertisements

I'm a woman in my 30s and I'll be a graduate student at GWU this Fall. Most of my classes will be in evening so I'll be walking home from the metro around 10pm. I'll (probably) be living in the Capitol Hill neighborhood, and I know this area can be a bit sketchy in places. Are there any specific streets I should avoid? Metro stops in more high crime areas? Are there many people walking around at this time of night or will I be the only one on the street?

I'm relocating to DC from Seattle. And yes, I know there is crime in DC. I did not just fall off the turnip truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 10:51 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,177 times
Not sure on any of the specifics but general things, don't walk out with your phone out in the open...same goes for your iPod or any other electronic device. Try walking on the sidewalks with the most light, and just be aware of your surroundings at all times. Doesn't mean you should walk around scared, just be aware of where you are and you should be fine.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
Capitol Hill is a fairly large area. The general rule is the further east you go, the shetchier it gets. The metro stops themselves and their immediate vicinity tend to be fairly secure. The three metro stops that support CH are Capitol South, Eastern Market and Potomac Ave. Capitol South and Eastern Market are more gentrified; however the area around Potomac Ave has been coming up the last several years.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:59 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times
Don't talk on the phone, dont have your iPod on, and don't flash large sums of money around, and you should be just fine. You won't be the only upstanding citizen strolling around at that hour.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
The danger of walking alone at night is that the bad guys hang out at the Metro stops sometimes and follow you out. Capitol Hill is a pretty safe neighborhood, but walking alone after dark isn't particularly safe in almost any area. Look down the streets before you enter and if you see people hanging out walk on to the next block. Pay attention to the traffic. If you see/hear a vehicle more than once, get to a populated area.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:28 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,560 times
Good advice from the posters. I would go as far as not bringing an MP3 player with you at all. If you have to bring a laptop or tablet to the class room, make sure that the item is buried in a case. Most muggers in the DC area crave the electronic gadgets (smartphones, MP3 players and tablets).

Watch out for the creepers too. Keep an eye out for any males (or group of males) following you on the street. They may do far more harm to you than just rob your wallet and gadgets. A young woman walking home alone at late night hours is a good target for the loser pervs out there.

I would recommend having a can of pepper spray with you in the unlikely, rare event of an attack. If you meet any class mates who live in the Capitol Hill area, ask if you can join him or her on the commute back home. You may feel a little more safer with some company.

btw...I wish I could be in Seattle right now.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:18 AM

13 posts, read 68,144 times
Thank you for the advice, everyone! Sounds like I'll be okay with basic "street smarts".

Old 06-14-2011, 12:36 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudentmom View Post
Thank you for the advice, everyone! Sounds like I'll be okay with basic "street smarts".
Yup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC