Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 09:30 AM

136 posts, read 459,584 times

Advertisements

Hello.

We're going to be spending our summer vacation (10 days) in D.C. While we're "in the area," we're considering taking a side trip up to NYC so my kids can experience a day or two there. I realize that's not very much time, but our focus this trip is to see the sights of our nation's capital, so the trip to NYC would be more so the kids can say they've been there and seen it.

Anyway, what is the best, most cost-effective way to get from D.C. to NYC? I've read about the Chinatown buses and that doesn't seem like anything I'd want to do. On the other hand, Amtrak seems a bit pricey. We won't have a car and even if we did, I wouldn't want to have to drive in all that traffic.

Also, we're thinking of flying there and just taking the bus or walking everywhere. Would it be better to get a hotel closer to the capital area or get a hotel out of the area and ride the bus or train into the area?

So, if anyone has recent experience with this and would be willing to share some insight, I'd be very grateful.

Best Regards,
Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 09:34 AM

330 posts, read 599,276 times
The best way is to take the Acela (amtrak) train, it will save you time and money, with an airplane you will be all day at the airport, plus taxis or other transportation to get you in and out. With the train, you are in downtown DC, and staight to downtown (manhattan)..

Old 06-19-2011, 11:16 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Boltbus and Megabus are a step between the chinatown busses and amtrak. Boltbus is run by greyhound. Round trip to NYC runs about $35.

As for better to stay in a hotel in town or out of town...that depends on what your preference is. Staying in town will certainly save you some travel time each day. But it will cost you. There are plenty of options in Arlington or even further away in alexandria or falls church where you can take metro into the city. It's really a matter of whether you want to (or can) pay more for a hotel closer to the sights.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:31 PM

136 posts, read 459,584 times
Thanks for the replies. We've decided to spend about a week in D.C., take the Amtrak to NYC and spend 3 days in NYC. The Amtrak is actually more affordable than I first thought and I found out that flying from here to D.C. and from NYC to here is cost no more than a round trip to D.C and back.

We're also thinking we'll stay someplace in town rather than commute in and back every day. The extra $$ for staying close will be worth it, I think. Of course, this is based on the assumption that we'll be able to find 6 days worth of things to see and do in D.C.

Thanks, again.
Patrick

Old 06-19-2011, 04:48 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
You can get TONS of advice here Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor and then in the search box at the top, type "United States -- District of Columbia".
Also click here Smithsonian and here Metro - Home page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC