Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:33 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,564,833 times

Advertisements

The separated Blue Line REALLY needs to be built. I would have prioritized that above the Silver Line extension to Loudon County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:48 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,697,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
The separated Blue Line REALLY needs to be built. I would have prioritized that above the Silver Line extension to Loudon County.
They should have focused more on the core, you're right.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:17 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,077,634 times
Regarding the second map, there is no such intersection as "Mass Avenue and South Capitol Street".

Regarding the last map, it would be impossible to ever extend the yellow line south beyond Huntington, as immedialy beyond that point there are miles of continuously built-up residential areas with no right-of-way to put rail (look at a street map).

Old 08-17-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Regarding the second map, there is no such intersection as "Mass Avenue and South Capitol Street".

Regarding the last map, it would be impossible to ever extend the yellow line south beyond Huntington, as immedialy beyond that point there are miles of continuously built-up residential areas with no right-of-way to put rail (look at a street map).
That is why they call for it to be underground.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:19 AM

361 posts, read 854,383 times
Was out in Tyson's and Reston recently checking out the emerging Silver Line and was thinking "that is going to be one Looooooooooong ride to Dulles!" Wondering if ridership is going to meet expectations out that way.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:14 AM

528 posts, read 1,185,514 times
I would like to see that separated metro line going thru Georgetown, regardless of what those snobs think! Just to spite them, let's make it above ground, tearing right thru M Street, and call it the Black Line.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:36 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
I would like to see that separated metro line going thru Georgetown, regardless of what those snobs think! Just to spite them, let's make it above ground, tearing right thru M Street, and call it the Black Line.
Uh, you do know that the real reason for not building Metro in Georgetown was due to it being prohibitively expensive given the geology of the area right? I swear some people use the race card like they're getting airline miles for it

Old 08-21-2011, 06:06 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,522 times
Another crosstown corridor is key. I like the M Street tunnel, but it could be improved. I'd have it run down M with stops at Georgetown (M & Wisconsin) and the West End (M & NH), run up New Hampshire with an interchange at Dupont Circle for the Red Line, then run down P, stopping at Logan Circle (P & 13/14). Turn south down 13th, then east down M with a connection to Mt Vernon Square, turning southeast down New Jersey with a stop on K, then turn down Massachusetts, stopping at Union Station, Stanton Park, and Lincoln Park. At Independence, run east until Stadium-Armory and end there at a new set of platforms, connecting to the original Blue Line to Largo. The Silver Line can end at Stadium-Armory.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:30 AM

528 posts, read 1,185,514 times
I really think that NoVA needs more metro access. There should be a line connecting the yellow/blue @ king street station, roughly following Rt. 7 all the way to Tyson's. These should be the following stops:

1) King St. Alexandria: transfer to Blue & Yellow
2) Braddock Rd/Quaker Lane
-veer north following Quaker
3) Shirlington Transit Center: transfer to the bus station hub
-head west for two stops @ Skyline shopping center (where there was going to be a metro)
4) 7 & george mason drive: transfer to Columbia Pike Streetcar
5) Jefferson St. Transit center: transfer to Columbia Pike Streetcar
6) Seven Corners: rt. 7/50/Wilson/sleepy hollow rd.
-Two in the Falls Church main street area:
7) Downtown Falls Church East: Rt. 7/Lee Hwy
8) Downtown Falls Church West: Rt. 7 & Haycock Rd.
9) West Falls Church Metro Station: transfer to Orange

-i know that these stops in falls church are close to EFC and WFC, but I think having them right in town as opposed to the outskirts will help development in the area, and make it more pedestrian friendly.

-I'd also like to see a metro go out to Annandale, one down to Woodbridge, and one to Fairfax.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RozCat View Post
Was out in Tyson's and Reston recently checking out the emerging Silver Line and was thinking "that is going to be one Looooooooooong ride to Dulles!" Wondering if ridership is going to meet expectations out that way.
The only thing missing from the Silver Line, imo, is a third track, specifically for express trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC