Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 06:57 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,997,059 times

Advertisements

Story

Quote:
A woman fell to her death from an upper floor of a hotel across from the White House grounds late Wednesday night, authorities said.
Witnesses told a police officer that the woman had been drinking at the bar on the rooftop patio of the W hotel, and that she climbed over a fence on the patio.

D.C. fire department spokesman Pete Piringer said witnesses told authorities that the woman was then seen hanging by her hands from an overhang one story below the rooftop around 11 p.m.

The woman then dropped about 10 stories, Piringer said witnesses reported. She was declared dead at the scene, Piringer said.

Uniformed Secret Service officers and D.C. police were at the scene late last night, and all lanes of 15th St. NW were shut down from New York Avenue south to Pennsylvania Avenue.

The woman was not immediately identified.

The boutique hotel, at 515 15th St. NW, is across from the White House, and the rooftop bar there is a popular attraction.
Am I the only wondering why no one helped before she climbed over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,777,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Story

Am I the only wondering why no one helped before she climbed over?
Yeah, that's a good question. I guess it must have been a good party.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:56 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,004 times
Yeah people should have talked her out of it. But it doesn't sound like a suicide or anything else. Just a drunken, costly mistake.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:55 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,569,126 times
I wonder about the W's liability here. I've seen far more ridiculous lawsuits than one that could be filed by this woman's family inquiring as to how an openly intoxicated person was able to climb over a wall and plunge to her death.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:14 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,097,303 times
That's a sad, and disgusting, story.

The Hotel Washington had a stodgy, somewhat dignified aura; though the rooftop area could get pretty boisterous, it wasn't over-the-top (no pun intended).

I wasn't thrilled to see it replaced by a W Hotel - hotels with loud music and fashionistas belong in Manhattan, not DC, not to mention the irony of a "W" Hotel a few blocks from the White House right after the other "W" finally left....

Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,569,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
That's a sad, and disgusting, story.

The Hotel Washington had a stodgy, somewhat dignified aura; though the rooftop area could get pretty boisterous, it wasn't over-the-top (no pun intended).

I wasn't thrilled to see it replaced by a W Hotel - hotels with loud music and fashionistas belong in Manhattan, not DC, not to mention the irony of a "W" Hotel a few blocks from the White House right after the other "W" finally left....
The rooftop of the Hotel Washington could be a pretty great place to grab a drink (particularly with out of town visitors). But the W is terrible. I was there once, imbibed in one ridiculously overpriced cocktail, and then headed back down and over to Elephant and Castle.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:40 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
hotels with loud music and fashionistas belong in Manhattan, not DC
this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC