Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:38 PM

24 posts, read 113,410 times

Advertisements

Hello dear friends!

I would like to find out if its possible to live in DC area without car?

I would like to live somewhere around virginia state line along metro stations maybee arlington or somewhere around alexandria.

I am curious if its possible to find a safe neigbeourhood with a small studio up to $750 near metro station?

thank you very much for your posts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 08:21 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,302,327 times
Living in Dc without a car is perfectly fine. Majority of the residents living in Dc take metro. You will have difficulty finding apartment close to metro for $750. You might be able to rent the basement of someone home for $750 but not an apartment.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:04 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
It is much easier to get by without a car in the District than in Virginia. In the District, it is hard, but it can be done, and in fact it is done by a great many people. About one in three DC households does not own a car. In town, you are more likely to have nearby mom-and-pop type support and convenient access to mass transit. At that though, everything still has to break right, and that isn't really likely to happen at $750 per month, unless you're planning on having a couple of roommates.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,222,866 times
NO CAR- YES, Tons of folks do it

700 Studio near Metro--Can you live with 100 sq ft???? Total???? I doubt that exists at that price.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:59 AM

223 posts, read 1,173,418 times
I agree with the opinions above regarding a car. You can get by in the District without one. However, it's difficult to travel around the metropolitan area and destinations like the beach and mountains without one.

You will probably not be able to find a decent apartment in a safe neighborhood near the Metro for $700 a month. You will, however, be able to find a room in a group house.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:53 AM

21 posts, read 77,804 times
It may be hard, unfortunately, to even find a room in a group house/shared apartment for that price, in terms of things near the metro (even with a flexible definition of "near"). I've been in the DC area for about 6 months, also without a car, and have been unable to find much of anything in terms of group houses or shared housing--in DC or close by to it--for less than $900, and in many cases for less than $1050. There are a few listings for the price range you specified, but expect to compete against 20 people for the right to rent that one room, especially if you want a place in a safe area. Each time I've done a DC housing search (done two of them now) for a room in group house/shared apartment with a budget of $950 a month, it's still taken me a good three months and 30 plus "interviews" with people who places for rent, before I find someone who offers the room to me.

It won't be so much that you won't be able to find a share listed in that price range, it's that you'll be competing against so many other people for those shares that it's likely to take months before anyone chooses you as the lucky one they want to rent to.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:54 AM

82 posts, read 433,852 times
Membership in Zipcar or Flexcar is inexpensive (something like $35/yr.) Many DC neighborhoods have plenty of car choices w/in a 1-2 block walking distance, and once you're a member, you just go online, locate the closest car, then walk over and pick it up. Cars are available to rent on an hourly or daily basis w/o any further time consuming paperwork.

However, rentals @ $750/month are hard to come be. You can definitely find a decent share in that price range, however.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:17 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,912,058 times
Smile Certainly, you can live in DC without a car.

My daughter has lived in DC for about 15 years without a car: first, as a Georgetown student, then in Adams-Morgan, next on U Street and finally as a condo owner at 16th and Park, an area that she finds safe, by the way. She uses public transportation, her bike or her legs for travel in the city and Zip or Flex cars for trips to the suburbs for shopping. When she and her friends do want to go to the beach or the mountains, they rent a car. This method is much better than the cost and aggravation of having a car in the District. After 10-11pm she takes a taxi which does add a little to her transportation costs, but not as much as a car would.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:27 PM

19 posts, read 143,293 times
Default Thousands do it daily....

Live in DC without a car that is. Both my mother and grandmother have lived in the city their entire lives without ever owning a car, as a matter of fact, they don't even have driver's licenses because they never needed to drive. They take the metro (bus and trains) everywhere they need to go, or simply walk. I guess that's one reason why my grandmother is 80 years old this year and doesn't look a day over 50! :-D

I had a car since I was 16 only because I hate the taking metro, but it is very efficient for people who actually like to use public transportation.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,131 times
Kalysta, I have a feeling that the current roommates on Craigslist may be charging the newer roommates more money to subsidize their housing. Back when I rented in a group house years ago, that was a no no.

A better way might be search for a couple of roommates before looking for a place and then renting it together. I have seen 3 or 4 Br houses and condo near the Potomac Metro, Petsworth, Brookland, and Galludet rent for between $500 to $700 per person. Of course these places aren't trendy, but close enought to a metro to get where you want to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: