Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,966 times

Advertisements

I'm headed to DC either next weekend or the weekend after and I wanted some info about the Melrose hotel (2430 Penn. Ave NW) and the surrounding area. I've heard from several people that it's great and that it's within walking distance of Georgetown University and the White House so that's a plus.

Also, since I'll be taking the train to DC, I'll be at Union Station - having to take the Metro to Foggy Bottom. I'll be here for the whole weekend so I wonder if it's worth to get one of those SmarTrip Cards.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 04:52 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,544,526 times
The neighborhood is properly called "West End," although some of the hotels there now just (incorrectly) say Georgetown. It's a long 10 block walk (~ one mile) walk to either the WH or Georgetown University, but just a few blocks to either Dupont Circle and Georgetown. Both neighborhoods have plenty of nightlife with a broad mix of (wealthy) people since it's near GWU and many embassies. There's a Whole Foods Market and a Trader Joe's nearby if you want to grab some snacks.

Taking Metro will require a transfer; a slower but more direct route would be to take the Union Station-Georgetown Circulator bus, which runs right past the Melrose. Plus, it's just $1.

A SmarTrip card certainly makes things easier, particularly paying for buses & doing transfers. It's also faster. Whether that's worth $5 is up to you, but I always buy similar farecards for any city I plan to return to. (Heck, I have an EasyPayXpress.)

Last edited by paytonc; 02-04-2012 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC