Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 12:54 PM

118 posts, read 113,715 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the Navy Yard from Omaha.

I have to drive from an office near Dulles (IAD) to my condo closing in Navy Yard at 4:30pm on Tuesday, March 13th, so I'd really like to not be late. Google maps puts it at 42 minutes, so I'm thinking about leaving Dulles at 3pm. Is this enough buffer time for traffic and is it realistic? I'm fine paying for the Dulles Toll Road.

Also, Google Maps has me coming across I66 on the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge and immediately taking the Independence Ave exit. I've seen a significant back-up there at the bottleneck where traffic merges with Rock Creek-Potomac Pkwy traffic. Is that unavoidable or is there a way around that bottleneck?

Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 01:19 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,845 times
The Independence Avenue option will be unavailable after 3:45 when Rock Creek Parkway goes one way northbound (i.e. directly into that exit). You'll probably have to come in on 66 and then take the exit for 110 Pentagon / Alexandria down to 395 and come in over the 14th Street Bridge.

No idea on the overall timing of the thing, but I'd think leaving at 3:00 would work (unless there is a wreck). If 66 inside the beltway is a mess you could take the beltway to the GW Parkway and come down that into the city. Technically more miles but if 66 is jammed it might be an option.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancritic View Post
I just moved to the Navy Yard from Omaha.

I have to drive from an office near Dulles (IAD) to my condo closing in Navy Yard at 4:30pm on Tuesday, March 13th, so I'd really like to not be late. Google maps puts it at 42 minutes, so I'm thinking about leaving Dulles at 3pm. Is this enough buffer time for traffic and is it realistic? I'm fine paying for the Dulles Toll Road.

Also, Google Maps has me coming across I66 on the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge and immediately taking the Independence Ave exit. I've seen a significant back-up there at the bottleneck where traffic merges with Rock Creek-Potomac Pkwy traffic. Is that unavoidable or is there a way around that bottleneck?

Thanks a million!
During that time of day, driving into the city can be very unpredictable. There is little chance you will make it there in 42 minutes. I think you should give yourself at least an hour and half (like the above poster stated) and play the traffic situation by ear (either GPS or radio). Too many things can change to predict it in my opinion.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:11 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,246,901 times
During rush hour I would allow at least 90 minutes if not 2 hours. I-66 gets backed up once inside the Beltway. Also there's traffic if one is crossing the 14th street bridge or trying to go through downtown on Constitution. A traffic jam is pretty much unavoidable at this time of the day. As mentioned you can't use Independence so you have to crawl along Constitution which is a PAIN. You could take 110 to 395 and use the 14th street bridge but that gets really backed up as well. So yeah try to leave your Dulles office by 2:30 but def no later than 3:00.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:55 AM

118 posts, read 113,715 times
Thanks everyone, this was really helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC