Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 03:50 PM

10 posts, read 17,637 times

Advertisements

Is it really that dangerous anymore? Would a couple in their 20s (22, 28) feel comfortable living there?

Some things that draw me to Columbia Heights is the nightlife, the metro, the (somewhat) cheaper cost of living. We have a cat but otherwise have no intentions of starting a family anytime soon. What's important to us is being around young people/working class, nightlife and a metro. We have $2500/mo as our budget but would rather stick to $1500 +/- depending. My husband will need to use his car for work but I will be car-less.

I am not anything close to a DC area native. I went there this weekend and didn't get creepy vibes from the neighborhood. Tell me the truth if I'm going to be afraid of being raped or shot at every time I go outside. That may be an exaggeration but with some of these posts, it is really hard to see what the truth is about this place. We're both pretty streetsmart and don't act like idiots but I know in some places, it just doesn't matter how you act.

As a side note, a lot of people have told us to move to Capitol Hill. But when I saw it in person, I really wasn't impressed. Maybe I'll live therein5 years but for now it's much too residential. I much preferred the city-feel of the northern neighborhoods.

We'll only have about 10 days to find housing and we're moving in 6 weeks so yeah. Thoughts on Columbia Heights, neighborhoods around it or somewhere else we should move? Btw, we don't really have a choice about moving to DC because he's military but I intend to make it a great experience.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 04:33 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,580 times
I would also look at U street, Chinatown and possibly Logan Circle neighborhoods. Those, along with Columbia Heights, have some nightlife amenities and will fall somewhere in your $1,500-$2,500 range. If you're really looking to go balls-out partying, then look into Adams Morgan as well.

If you do find an apartment listed in Dupont Circle that meets your criteria, be sure to check that out. It's probably the best starter neighborhood in DC, and very safe, but it's a bit pricey.

There is some crime in the Columbia Heights area (parts of U and Chinatown to a lesser degree). You'll probably more likely to see disturbing things or feel a little uncomfortable at times than you are likely to be an actual victim of something. If you're living right off the main drag, you're probably just fine. If you have a house that is way off the main drag, and you're a female walking home at night, I would strongly caution you to consider looking elsewhere.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
I would also look at U street, Chinatown and possibly Logan Circle neighborhoods. Those, along with Columbia Heights, have some nightlife amenities and will fall somewhere in your $1,500-$2,500 range. If you're really looking to go balls-out partying, then look into Adams Morgan as well.

If you do find an apartment listed in Dupont Circle that meets your criteria, be sure to check that out. It's probably the best starter neighborhood in DC, and very safe, but it's a bit pricey.

There is some crime in the Columbia Heights area (parts of U and Chinatown to a lesser degree). You'll probably more likely to see disturbing things or feel a little uncomfortable at times than you are likely to be an actual victim of something. If you're living right off the main drag, you're probably just fine. If you have a house that is way off the main drag, and you're a female walking home at night, I would strongly caution you to consider looking elsewhere.
Thanks. Do you know of any streets or intersections in particular to avoid? I would ideally like to live just a short walk away from the Metro stop. We spent a bit of time in Dupont this weekend and I really liked the feel but one thing that turned us off a bit was that it felt quite upscale and possibly catered to a lifestyle much more expensive then our incomes can really handle.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:17 PM

229 posts, read 515,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pterodactylia View Post
Thanks. Do you know of any streets or intersections in particular to avoid? I would ideally like to live just a short walk away from the Metro stop. We spent a bit of time in Dupont this weekend and I really liked the feel but one thing that turned us off a bit was that it felt quite upscale and possibly catered to a lifestyle much more expensive then our incomes can really handle.
The thing about Columbia Heights is that it used to be one of the roughest areas in NW D.C., and there are still remnants of the ole Columbia Heights still present since its rejuvenation is only recent. While its growth the past few years can be considered quite explosive, one of the major obstacles currently preventing its full-blown gentrification are the high number of low-income/section-8 buildings situated mostly south of Columbia Road.

However, don't let that deter you from making a move there. Columbia Heights is a major melting pot district now, with a variety of individuals and age groups hailing from different economic, social, ethnic backgrounds living and constantly converging there. There's also a healthy law enforcement presence, ranging from local to transit to private. Now, if you're the type whose heart skips a beat at the sight of people of different complexion roaming about, talking among themselves, then Columbia Heights will probably not be for you, but if you can tolerate the constant variety, then it's definitely the place to be.

If you decide to move there, I'd try to find something close to 13th and 14th street, if possible, and further away from 7th/Georgia.

Dupont Circle, I'd always recommend as a second option. The area is obscenely overpriced, IMO, and you get very little for what you have to pay. There are some local shops and a plethora of bars, though. For me, however, the convenience of having Best Buy, Target, CVS, Staples, Marshalls, a host of chain restaurants, and a Metro Station all situated on the same block area and all within walking distance is a major plus for me. If I want to go out, Adams Morgan and U Street more than satisfy my nightlife cravings, and they're both within immediate walking distance of Columbia Heights.

Last edited by HumbleSeaGoat; 02-22-2012 at 11:29 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pterodactylia View Post
14th around Columbia and Harvard has been a trouble spot. The other one I can think of, even though in Adams Morgan, but close to Columbia Heights, is 17th & Euclid, which is odd considering the rest of the area is perfectly fine.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:22 AM

29 posts, read 98,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleSeaGoat View Post
The thing about Columbia Heights is that it used to be one of the roughest areas in NW D.C., and there are still remnants of the ole Columbia Heights still present since its rejuvenation is only recent. While its growth the past few years can be considered quite explosive, one of the major obstacles currently preventing its full-blown gentrification are the high number of low-income/section-8 buildings situated mostly south of Columbia Road.

However, don't let that deter you from making a move there. Columbia Heights is a major melting pot district now, with a variety of individuals and age groups hailing from different economic, social, ethnic backgrounds living and constantly converging there. There's also a healthy law enforcement presence, ranging from local to transit to private. Now, if you're the type whose heart skips a beat at the sight of people of different complexion roaming about, talking among themselves, then Columbia Heights will probably not be for you, but if you can tolerate the constant variety, then it's definitely the place to be.

If you decide to move there, I'd try to find something close to 13th and 14th street, if possible, and further away from 7th/Georgia.

Dupont Circle, I'd always recommend as a second option. The area is obscenely overpriced, IMO, and you get very little for what you have to pay. There are some local shops and a plethora of bars, though. For me, however, the convenience of having Best Buy, Target, CVS, Staples, Marshalls, a host of chain restaurants, and a Metro Station all situated on the same block area and all within walking distance is a major plus for me. If I want to go out, Adams Morgan and U Street more than satisfy my nightlife cravings, and they're both within immediate walking distance of Columbia Heights.
I will be signing a lease two blocks to the right of the metro on irving street. How is that area?

Old 02-23-2012, 12:55 PM

229 posts, read 515,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattilvc View Post
I will be signing a lease two blocks to the right of the metro on irving street. How is that area?
Next to Tubman Elementary? That area is nice. Walk by it all the time. Good find.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:52 PM

115 posts, read 273,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dattilvc View Post
Fine. You're also close to Room 11, Redrocks, and Meridian Pint. All good places to eat/hang out.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleSeaGoat View Post

I really appreciate this info, thanks! My husband is concerned about the public housing. Is it something that is mostly in one area, or do most blocks consist of it to some degree?

Also, does anyone know how often shootings occur? I found murder stats but obviously, people don't die every time a gun gets shot. Hearing gunshots doesn't bother me but if shots on my street are something I'd be hearing daily, it's something I would take into consideration.

Other than those two things, I really feel like Columbia Heights is going to be our area. Although we'll likely shop at military stores because it's cheaper, are there any grocery stores anywhere near by aside from Target? What about gyms? I think I remember reading a post somewhere on here that a YMCA was being built in the area soon, but that was a pretty old post, is that completed yet?

Sorry for all the questions! Just trying to get our ducks lined up in a row.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:17 PM

Actually nevermind about the YMCA. I googled it and whoever posted that must've been mistaken. Oh well! I'm still curious about gyms though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC