Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:20 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,639,377 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking for an apartment in DC and I'm curious how the SW Waterfront is? There appears to be some beautiful properties and they are much less expensive than DuPont Circle and Georgetown, which are my favorite areas of DC.

Is the area nice and is the location ideal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 AM

220 posts, read 548,996 times
I live in SW Waterfront. It meets my needs and is fine, but I'd say it definitely is no Dupont or Georgetown. There is a Safeway and a CVS, but there aren't many bars/sit-down restaurants/coffee shops/etc. It isn't really a hang-out neighborhood and nightlife is pretty limited. I moved here from NYC, and was used to having a ton of going-out options within a few blocks walking distance, so I've found the neighborhood to be a bit boring.

In terms of safety, it is okay. I've been fine, but I have received some reports of armed robberies from my building management. There is some public housing in the area although I've never really had any problems caused by it, it is something that might make some people feel uncomfortable.

In terms of convenience, it is metro-accessible with easy access to downtown and to the mall.

Personally I chose to live in SW Waterfront because it was more affordable than Dupont. I've been fine living here, but if money were no object I'd definitely pick Dupont.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:14 AM

37 posts, read 112,724 times
Another SW resident here. I agree with the pp. If you are looking for excitement and nightlife, I wouldn't move to SW. But if you want an affordable, safer neighborhood in the city with easy access to downtown, the Hill, museums, trails etc. SW is an excellent option.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,639,377 times
Thanks. What neighborhoods in DC would you recommend for more excitement other than Georgetown and DuPont?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 AM

220 posts, read 548,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Thanks. What neighborhoods in DC would you recommend for more excitement other than Georgetown and DuPont?
U Street is popular. Columbia Heights is a bit cheaper than Dupont/Georgetown and has a decent # of bars/restaurants and is also walking distance to U Street.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:24 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,421,809 times
^ adams morgan.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:56 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,158,275 times
Having lived in Columbia Heights the majority of my life, and then moving to Southwest, it's certainly different, just in terms of nightlife, and I'm okay with that. I think the appeal to me is that you can have your fun in the city, and then go home to a quiet location. While I would love to have a house right off the strip in Adams Morgan, a) that would be a killing and b) I'm sure its a pain the ass on Friday and Saturday nights and probably not worth the trouble.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:21 AM

566 posts, read 1,560,231 times
For the price, you can't get a better neighborhood. It's quiet and there are few shops or restaurants, but you're 1-3 miles away from practically everything in DC, and getting on the freeway to VA and MD is a breeze. I feel very safe there and love being right by the water. The area is set for a massive redevelopment, but you can still get apartments at a great low price before the coming boom. SW is the best kept secret and best deal in all of DC.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:44 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,720,867 times
I live in SW and love it.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:23 PM

465 posts, read 929,414 times
Navy Yard more pricey, but safer and will have way more retail options by the end of this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC