Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:43 PM

14 posts, read 115,699 times

Advertisements

I am going to work for the federal government. I don't understand the pay scale. for instance if a person is assigned to level 7 and step 8 the salary is actually higher than the lower steps in level 8. If this person is raised to level 8, isn't this person is going to make less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 07:47 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,106,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivy47469 View Post
I am going to work for the federal government. I don't understand the pay scale. for instance if a person is assigned to level 7 and step 8 the salary is actually higher than the lower steps in level 8. If this person is raised to level 8, isn't this person is going to make less?
If you are being hired at the Grade 7, Step 8, your employer is probably trying to match your current salary and step 8 comes closest to it. If you were to be promoted to the next grade (i.e., GS-8 for technical/clerical positions or GS-9 for professional positions), you would go two steps forward on your current grade (in your case from GS-7, step 8 to GS-7, step 10) and then you find the step that matches that salary in the appropriate grade (whether it is a GS-8 or GS-9 scale).

For example, if the GS-7, step 8 salary is $48,503, and you are being promoted to the next grade in your series (Let's assume it is a GS-8), you would go to the GS-7, step 10 (salary is $51,124) and you would see what step comes closest to matching that salary in the GS-8 level (in this case it would be a GS-8, step 7 at $52,268). Bottomline is that when you are promoted, you don't lose money if you start at a higher step.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:03 PM

65 posts, read 378,282 times
I have a question...

If I take a gov't position in another gov't agency that pays gs-12 in, lets say, Tampa. Will they match my current gs-12 pay that I make in DC by increasing my step level since there is a decrease in regional pay?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyButt View Post
I have a question...

If I take a gov't position in another gov't agency that pays gs-12 in, lets say, Tampa. Will they match my current gs-12 pay that I make in DC by increasing my step level since there is a decrease in regional pay?
No, because the locality pay is based on cost-of-living for the metro area you'll be working in.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:06 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
^
correct. as GS-12 in DC will make more in the locality pay than in .... Lubbock Tx for instance. But you GS-12 basic pay will be the same. It's simuliar to the military COLA.
(although the military is better at it)

you will never make less than your current salary. That's where the steps come in. It's adjusted, so if you get promoted to a higher GS level job than your current GS level job you will be put at a higher step level.
Like my husband if he "steps down" from his current mgt postion. His salary will stay the same even though the mgt position is a higher GS level. He would go from (example)GS-14 step 2 to a GS 13 step 10.
So yes, someone who is in a lower GS position like a GS 13 could make more money than than a mgt person in a GS 14 position IF the 13 has more years on.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
No, because the locality pay is based on cost-of-living for the metro area you'll be working in.
To clarify my response, if you are currently a GS-12, step 8, in DC and you take a GS-12, step 8, in Tampa, you will be paid what the GS-12, step 8, locality pay is in Tampa (even if the pay is lower). But if you are changing jobs within the government and accepting a lower graded position elsewhere, they'll try to match your salary as much as possible with steps.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:49 PM

480 posts, read 1,917,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivy47469 View Post
All I can tell you is that if you're new to the area and from somewhere other than the East or West coasts, it's not as much money as it sounds like it is once you find out the cost of living here!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:00 PM

45 posts, read 307,391 times
I've often wondered what happens if you apply for a job that is perhaps, 2-3k below your current salary (non-govt but still in the DC area, and usually you apply because you are just trying to get your foot in the door) how willing is the agency to match your current non-govt salary? Do you basically suck it up and loose the pay in order to try and get your foot in the door?

Can you negotiate a student loan payoff or partial payoff when offered? I've seen some agencies promoting this but have wondered how it works.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
I've often wondered what happens if you apply for a job that is perhaps, 2-3k below your current salary (non-govt but still in the DC area, and usually you apply because you are just trying to get your foot in the door) how willing is the agency to match your current non-govt salary? Do you basically suck it up and loose the pay in order to try and get your foot in the door?
The time to negotiate a higher step is when you are offered the job. This recently happened to a friend and his current salary was matched by getting a higher step at the grade he was offered the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
Can you negotiate a student loan payoff or partial payoff when offered? I've seen some agencies promoting this but have wondered how it works.
If offered, it depends on the agency. I've never worked for one that pays for student loans.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
the locality pay can be joke....seriously we got a locality pay increase of aprox 1200k per year when we moved from Pittsburg to NOVA. I can tell ya, it cost way over 100/month to live in the NOVA area than it does in SWPA!!

Now we moved to Texas and our pay went down because DFW has a lower cost of living...it only went down by aprox 1000k a year!! NO joke.

so do look carefully at you pay grade etc... and remember that most entry level govt jobs don't pay much at all... ususally after 3 years in the program you see a big jump in pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC