Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:13 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,467,877 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that a growing number of agencies are on an alternative pay system, not the standard General Schedule. It's important (obviously) to know which one you'd be on before taking a job. There are advantages to both the GS and alternative systems, depending on your attitudes. The GS system is a little stricter and more certain. There is more flex and pay-for-performance type uncertainty in the alternative system. Depends upon which would be your cup of tea, but any fed job will simply come with one or the other...you don't get a choice in that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 07:38 AM

480 posts, read 1,916,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
the locality pay can be joke....seriously we got a locality pay increase of aprox 1200k per year when we moved from Pittsburg to NOVA. I can tell ya, it cost way over 100/month to live in the NOVA area than it does in SWPA!!

Now we moved to Texas and our pay went down because DFW has a lower cost of living...it only went down by aprox 1000k a year!! NO joke.

so do look carefully at you pay grade etc... and remember that most entry level govt jobs don't pay much at all... ususally after 3 years in the program you see a big jump in pay.
Question - I am somewhat interested into looking into a job at HUD. Would HUD disqualify me for having had a personal bankruptcy?

Old 05-19-2008, 04:19 PM

943 posts, read 4,257,967 times
This wouldn't be jacking the thread because it is somewhat related. I always hear about how employees salaries rise quickly with the federal government. Is this true? Can someone give me an example of how this works? Using a brand new GS - 9 step 1 for example. Where (Grade and steps) would they likely be in these three intervals assuming they are performing at a high level? Year 1? Year 2? Year 3?

Old 05-19-2008, 05:16 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
This wouldn't be jacking the thread because it is somewhat related. I always hear about how employees salaries rise quickly with the federal government. Is this true? Can someone give me an example of how this works? Using a brand new GS - 9 step 1 for example. Where (Grade and steps) would they likely be in these three intervals assuming they are performing at a high level? Year 1? Year 2? Year 3?
If you are in a career ladder position (e.g., get hired in a professional/administrative series as a GS-9, step 1, with promotion potential to a GS-12), you can be promoted to a GS-11, step 1 after one year and to the GS-12, step 1, the second year, assuming you are performing well and are able to do the tasks at the higher grade level. If you are not in a career ladder position or if you reach your full promotion potential, you go up a step a year for the first three years. Then you have to wait in step 2 years for steps 4-6; three years for steps 7-9; and once you reach step 10, that's it (you only get your regular cost-of-living increases).

ETA: What I've explained here is applicable to the General Schedule only. Agencies with an alternative pay schedule have a lot more flexibilities in terms of hiring and promotions.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:04 AM

28 posts, read 130,846 times
Another GS question: What is "promotion potential" outside of the career ladder? For example, job series GS-2210 (Information Technology) is on the 5/7/9 ladder with "promotion potential to GS-11 or GS-12 depending on IT specialty area."

Say you're brought in at GS-7. You succeed and you're promoted to GS-9 the second year. Have you reached the end of the ladder, or can a regular promotion be expected (assuming worthy performance) to GS-11 or 12?

Old 05-20-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
If you are in a career ladder position (e.g., get hired in a professional/administrative series as a GS-9, step 1, with promotion potential to a GS-12), you can be promoted to a GS-11, step 1 after one year and to the GS-12, step 1, the second year, assuming you are performing well and are able to do the tasks at the higher grade level. If you are not in a career ladder position or if you reach your full promotion potential, you go up a step a year for the first three years. Then you have to wait in step 2 years for steps 4-6; three years for steps 7-9; and once you reach step 10, that's it (you only get your regular cost-of-living increases).

ETA: What I've explained here is applicable to the General Schedule only. Agencies with an alternative pay schedule have a lot more flexibilities in terms of hiring and promotions.
That makes sense thanks. It sounds like the way the system is set up someone on the outside can come in and make more than someone on the inside. I work for the state and theoretically it is the same way, but management is not allowed to start out new employees higher than most other employees as they say this disrupt the morale of the offices. When their is a posting they give this wide range of hiring salary flexibility, but in reality your flexibilty extends to what the average salary is in the office, maybe a little higher. Do you know of or think they try to do the same thing with the fed jobs? If not are most fed employees professional in regards to keeping their salaries hush hush? If/when word gets out someone off the street is making more than someone has been on the job is there any animosity or do employees recognize they had their chance when they started and it is part of the game?

Old 05-20-2008, 06:35 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,713,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinDownSlow View Post
Another GS question: What is "promotion potential" outside of the career ladder? For example, job series GS-2210 (Information Technology) is on the 5/7/9 ladder with "promotion potential to GS-11 or GS-12 depending on IT specialty area."

Say you're brought in at GS-7. You succeed and you're promoted to GS-9 the second year. Have you reached the end of the ladder, or can a regular promotion be expected (assuming worthy performance) to GS-11 or 12?
I'm not completely sure, but my impression is that if it's a 5/7/9 ladder with promotion potential to an 11/12, you're guaranteed the grade increase to 7 or 9 within the specified time frame (usually one year for each). Beyond that, if you have certain skills they want (like IT), you can apply for a promotion to 11/12.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinDownSlow View Post

In that case, anyone can be hired initally as a GS-5, GS-7 or GS-9, depending on education and/or work experience. All have the potential to be promoted every year until you reach the GS-11 or GS-12 (whichever is the promotion potential) without having to recompete for the job.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
That makes sense thanks. It sounds like the way the system is set up someone on the outside can come in and make more than someone on the inside. I work for the state and theoretically it is the same way, but management is not allowed to start out new employees higher than most other employees as they say this disrupt the morale of the offices. When their is a posting they give this wide range of hiring salary flexibility, but in reality your flexibilty extends to what the average salary is in the office, maybe a little higher. Do you know of or think they try to do the same thing with the fed jobs? If not are most fed employees professional in regards to keeping their salaries hush hush? If/when word gets out someone off the street is making more than someone has been on the job is there any animosity or do employees recognize they had their chance when they started and it is part of the game?
No, it doesn't work the same in the federal government (even though managers under the General Schedule have to follow regulations and policies). Depending on the job series and grade, a selecting official can limit the area of consideration (e.g., announce a job only agency-wide) if he/she is doing it to promote someone from within. Sometimes the agency's merit promotion plan specifies the area of consideration depending on the grade (wider area of consideration for higher grades). But usually when someone opens a job to "all sources," it is open to everyone (inside or outside of the federal government). I say "usually" because sometimes you'll find a job open to all sources with very specific KSAs and a short open window and you can safely guess they have someone in mind (it could be a contractor who is working there already).

As far as jealousy and envy, I think that can happen everywhere (government or not). Some people think they are entitled to promotions based on how long they've been sitting in a job and resentment starts building when they get passed over. But the good thing in the government is that if you end up in a bad environment you can't tolerate, you can always go somewhere else without losing benefits, particularly in the DC metro area.

Also, how much someone makes is not a secret in the government. Most people seem to know what series, grade and step everyone else is. Same goes for performance awards.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
No, it doesn't work the same in the federal government (even though managers under the General Schedule have to follow regulations and policies). Depending on the job series and grade, a selecting official can limit the area of consideration (e.g., announce a job only agency-wide) if he/she is doing it to promote someone from within. Sometimes the agency's merit promotion plan specifies the area of consideration depending on the grade (wider area of consideration for higher grades). But usually when someone opens a job to "all sources," it is open to everyone (inside or outside of the federal government). I say "usually" because sometimes you'll find a job open to all sources with very specific KSAs and a short open window and you can safely guess they have someone in mind (it could be a contractor who is working there already).

As far as jealousy and envy, I think that can happen everywhere (government or not). Some people think they are entitled to promotions based on how long they've been sitting in a job and resentment starts building when they get passed over. But the good thing in the government is that if you end up in a bad environment you can't tolerate, you can always go somewhere else without losing benefits, particularly in the DC metro area.

Also, how much someone makes is not a secret in the government. Most people seem to know what series, grade and step everyone else is. Same goes for performance awards.
OK. Thanks a lot. I have seen the postings you described. Open for only five days! I have seen some on the 4th day and wondered how many decent applicants they were expecting. I guess that is what is going on. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC