Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:46 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,010,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Alright betafans, please put your raging insecurity away. I mentioned the Phils once in a post that was complimentary of the Nats, and you've somehow managed to go ahead and hijack the thread by yourselves.
Your statement was condescending to say the least, which isn't surprising for Philly fans. For you to sit here and say that " I'm enjoying the additional competition in the NL East" is laughable, when you all haven't provided competition yourselves. Maybe things will get better when Howard and Utley get back but for now, Philly fans shouldn't be worried about the competition, because it's no competition in the basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,464,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Your statement was condescending to say the least, which isn't surprising for Philly fans. For you to sit here and say that " I'm enjoying the additional competition in the NL East" is laughable, when you all haven't provided competition yourselves. Maybe things will get better when Howard and Utley get back but for now, Philly fans shouldn't be worried about the competition, because it's no competition in the basement.
Uh, the Phillies are 4.5 games out of 1st in May, and playing .500... are you new?

I said I love the Nat's ballpark and I think your ownership will go out and get the one or two players you need to win the division in the next few years. You think that's condescension because of what? Because I recognize that the Nats/Expos franchise has been the door matt of the NL east for over 40 years? That it couldn't be possible that someone wants a competitive division? I'm a baseball fan first, and a Phils fan second.

It's not news to Phils fans that we have an aging team. We just had the run we've been waiting for for decades, so I think most of us are at peace if we're trying to get younger at this trade deadline or the next. If you want to dance in circles about the Phils that's your prerogative, it's not unusual for the Nats fans to pay more attention to my team than theirs. I think that will change someday soon, but judging by the 23k turnout for Strasburg's last outing, it's not this year.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 AM

720 posts, read 1,556,852 times
I'm a diehard DC sports fan but even I can recognize the Nats still have a long ways to go in terms of building a solid fanbase like Philly. Didn't philly win the world series a couple years back? I don't think they care if things are a little shaky. More importantly, are you an Eagles fan KStreet?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:44 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,712,349 times
I watched some of the game last night and it was pretty good.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:00 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,586,515 times
i much prefer going to DC United games. they've been playing very well this year

Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
More importantly, are you an Eagles fan KStreet?
I bleed green. Last year was the first year since I moved here that I missed the Eagles/Skins game in MD. It's always a good time jawing it up with the fans out there.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Uh, the Phillies are 4.5 games out of 1st in May, and playing .500... are you new?

I said I love the Nat's ballpark and I think your ownership will go out and get the one or two players you need to win the division in the next few years. You think that's condescension because of what? Because I recognize that the Nats/Expos franchise has been the door matt of the NL east for over 40 years? That it couldn't be possible that someone wants a competitive division? I'm a baseball fan first, and a Phils fan second.

It's not news to Phils fans that we have an aging team. We just had the run we've been waiting for for decades, so I think most of us are at peace if we're trying to get younger at this trade deadline or the next. If you want to dance in circles about the Phils that's your prerogative, it's not unusual for the Nats fans to pay more attention to my team than theirs. I think that will change someday soon, but judging by the 23k turnout for Strasburg's last outing, it's not this year.
No I've been watching baseball for a very long time. I just think you guys are done and it's silly to think that you are glad for a little competition. This has nothing to do with the Nats, but if you look most will admit that the braves and arguably the marlins have passed you guys. I don't think competition should be Philly's concern. You guys need to focus on retooling, even the GM knows that.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
No I've been watching baseball for a very long time. I just think you guys are done and it's silly to think that you are glad for a little competition. This has nothing to do with the Nats, but if you look most will admit that the braves and arguably the marlins have passed you guys. I don't think competition should be Philly's concern. You guys need to focus on retooling, even the GM knows that.
So watching baseball for a long time, you don't think that playing .500 ball is competitive? Watching baseball for a long time, you think that being in last place is meaningful, when last place only means 4.5 games out of first in May?

Apparently you're obsessed with the Phils first and a Nats fan second. You haven't talked about your own team in a single post. If you want to take my post as condescending, that's entirely resting on your own fan insecurities. Like I said, I'm a baseball fan first and a Phillies fan second. I want to watch good baseball.

Everything else you have said about the Phils is patently obvious - we're aging, we need to retool, and *gasp* we'll probably even ship Hamels off at the deadline if we're out of contention. All Phils fans know that the best we can hope for is maybe one more year before we have to get young, and quite frankly I think a lot of us weren't really expecting a great 2011 like we had.

Anyway, I wish your Nats the best. They deserve better fans than people who only get worked up about the Phillies.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
So watching baseball for a long time, you don't think that playing .500 ball is competitive? Watching baseball for a long time, you think that being in last place is meaningful, when last place only means 4.5 games out of first in May?

Apparently you're obsessed with the Phils first and a Nats fan second. You haven't talked about your own team in a single post. If you want to take my post as condescending, that's entirely resting on your own fan insecurities. Like I said, I'm a baseball fan first and a Phillies fan second. I want to watch good baseball.

Everything else you have said about the Phils is patently obvious - we're aging, we need to retool, and *gasp* we'll probably even ship Hamels off at the deadline if we're out of contention. All Phils fans know that the best we can hope for is maybe one more year before we have to get young, and quite frankly I think a lot of us weren't really expecting a great 2011 like we had.

Anyway, I wish your Nats the best. They deserve better fans than people who only get worked up about the Phillies.
Thank you for the well wishes. I just think sometimes fans get so used to winning that they don't realize when there is a changing of the guard. I understand you guys are only 4.5 games out, but I just was pointing out that you guys are on the decline and on the verge of some changes. Philly has had a great run, but I think the future is more important than the present.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the well wishes. I just think sometimes fans get so used to winning that they don't realize when there is a changing of the guard. I understand you guys are only 4.5 games out, but I just was pointing out that you guys are on the decline and on the verge of some changes. Philly has had a great run, but I think the future is more important than the present.
I agree. I don't think Phils fans are used to winning yet. It's been a great couple of years, but we're still the losingest team in professional sports history. I'd almost say we're suspicious of winning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC