Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:43 AM

19,527 posts, read 9,543,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Blow over. The Gray administration has had so many scandals in the last year and I think the public is just resigned to living with it. After all, this is the same city that keeps re-electing Marion Barry.
Yeah, really. Can someone enlighten me as to what was so wrong with Fenty? I heard on the news the other night from someone suggesting that it was an unfair voting process and that's how that person believed Gray got nominated and won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Gray is listing badly. If he takes one more hit he's dead in the water.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:14 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
How did this idiot get elected?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Yeah, really. Can someone enlighten me as to what was so wrong with Fenty? I heard on the news the other night from someone suggesting that it was an unfair voting process and that's how that person believed Gray got nominated and won.
Fenty was arrogant and corrupt, just not a corrupt as Gray.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:48 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
This is it in a nutshell, all politicians are corrupt, some more than others. Fenty didn't do a horrible job at all and was probably an extension of Williams. Is there any way they could have a midterm election or are we stuck with this guy for 3 more years?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:16 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Fenty's loss is the only case I can think of when polls showed that an significant majority of voters thought the city was heading in the right direction, but the incumbent lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Gray is listing badly. If he takes one more hit he's dead in the water.
It's not so much a matter of if he takes another hit, so much as it's a matter of when he's indicted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
Arrogant? Probably. Corrupt? My view from working with DC (city) politicos indicates quite the opposite. In fact, one of primary causes of Fenty's political downfall was that he shunned the old guard of Campaign supporters, DC lobbyists and powerful interests. He pissed off a lot of people by not kissing certain rings; especially of powerful people who did a lot of work to support his election.

Fenty was single-mindedly bent on progress. The one accusation that can be honestly leveled against him is that he bypassed some 'good-government' processes in the interest of expediency. It was his way or the highway, and he either had blinders on to the political ramifications of that approach, or he believed in what he was doing so he didn't care.

The papers sold a lot of issues by weaving stories of corruption. Powerful interests interests that Fenty didn't bow to were more than happy to help draw those lines. Unfortunately, Fenty's lack of transparency and heavy handed approach to cutting through bureaucratic red tape didn't leave him with a solid foundation or many political friends to defend him.

The other perception problem Fenty had, was not putting enough effort into addressing the concerns of the black constituent community. The perception-wise he got elected as a community guy walking from door to door across the entire city, and he lost as a development guy who only cared about Ward 2.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:55 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
This is it in a nutshell, all politicians are corrupt, some more than others.
The unfortunate reality is that at some point the government does things, and any time the government does something, there will be people who don't like it claiming corruption. In 99.9% of the cases, it's a lazy and stupid way to 1) complain 2) rationalize an outcome you don't understand or 3) sensationalize a story to sell it. The other .1%, it's corruption.

Edit: Talking about politicians overall... the DC city politicians may have a slightly higher ratio.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
KStreetQB is right on the money. Fenty was a good mayor, just not a particularly adroit politician.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 AM

163 posts, read 259,623 times
Fenty had a one track mind and was too arrogant. Him, like Williams, didn't focus too much on Wards 7 and 8. They did stuff here and there just to shut some people up but that's about it.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM

720 posts, read 1,555,069 times
Was Fenty really that great of a mayor? I find it hard for anyone to screw up when you're in a position with all the processes that Williams had put into place before he left
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC