Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:27 PM

246 posts, read 589,217 times

Advertisements

I live downtown with a child, and I find it to be a wonderful place to raise a family. Although my daughter and I are constantly walking, running errands, sightseeing, going to museums, riding the bus, etc. without any problems, I do think some places still require a certain amount of fortitude. If your wife would be intimidated walking by homeless and/or seemingly-crazy men/women during those walks, it probably isn't the right choice. Also, it might be hard to find something in that price range, but it isn't necessarily impossible. People like NoMa and the Navy Yard areas, and those areas probably do have places within your price range, but I would go personally and check out whether they seem walkable and comfortable to you and your family, as everyone has a slightly different tolerance level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 12:31 PM

246 posts, read 589,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayani View Post
(1) Capitol Hill- Just have a query...how do you think I can commute to georgetown law from capitol hill...walk score shows no easy/direct route to georgetown law..
Go to the tripplanner on wmata.com and see what they come up with for transportation options. Also, look into capital bikeshare; I find it to the most convenient way of getting places in many instances. It doesn't work with kids, but I use it frequently for picking up my child where a personal bike wouldn't work because I am not comfortable riding with her in the city, we just walk or find alternate forms of transportation when we are together.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:49 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,576,476 times
Capitol Hill is not a single location. It is one of the largest neighborhoods in DC and covers several square miles. Most of it would be too far to walk to Georgetown Law and you'd have to take some kind of bus. But the area around Stanton Park and much of the NE part of the Hill would be about a 20 minute walk away.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 AM

11 posts, read 50,346 times
thanks for the infos!

What about the neighborhood named NoMa? the apartments there look nice and new....

thanks again in advance

Old 06-15-2012, 11:19 AM

The reason NoMa has a lot of new apartment buildings is because until they were built, there wasn't a whole lot there. And there's still not a whole lot there other than the new buildings, although the neighborhood is quickly changing.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 PM

11 posts, read 50,346 times
thanks for this....its really between pentagon city and areas near union station/noma for me now.... its really a choice between the openness and ambience offered by pentagon city +2 hours commute/day VS. the daily downtown grind +10 minute walk to the school now...

Old 06-18-2012, 09:55 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayani View Post
thanks for this....its really between pentagon city and areas near union station/noma for me now.... its really a choice between the openness and ambience offered by pentagon city +2 hours commute/day VS. the daily downtown grind +10 minute walk to the school now...
2 hour commute from pent city? Maybe 1:30 at most if you are metroing/walking during rush hour

Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 AM

What exactly is the ambience of Pentagon City? It's a bunch of ugly corporate buildings with no street life. It feels like the Soviet Union to me.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:49 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
2 hour commute from pent city? Maybe 1:30 at most if you are metroing/walking during rush hour
Yeah, figure an average 10 min. walk to the station, 5 min. wait, 20 min. on the train including transfer, 5 min. walk to the school, you're looking at 40 minutes each way.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,112 times
Welcome to the GULC =)

As a current student, I would say the pentagon city/crystal city area is quite nice. Lots of stores, with parks around so that your wife can take your kids to play. Moreover, you don't have to reach Union Station for the school. Get off at Chinatown and walk, it's proved to be the most efficient way to reach the school from crystal city, and you can save time for the transfer. It's just 3-4stops, and definitely will take much less than 2 hours r-t. Normally it's a 30mins one-way, walking included.

If you want to live next to the school, check out the few blocks around the "Safeway" on K st. There's a few brand new buildings, and the "Noma" scene is not happening here. Places right along the Mass are okay.

I'd say I'm strongly against moving to the East side, even not that "east" such as 7 or 8 st. NE. You will see many idle people walking around even in the daytime, lying on the road smoking and do nothing. 2 or 3 NE, not bad but it gets so quiet in the neighborhood(places near union station) after dark. And you are reminded that the government housing are nearby. Last semester a student got robbed right in front of the school library(every student got email notice of it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC