Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 06:36 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,303,666 times

Advertisements

Hello all! Saturday nights in DC are not my area of expertise. The wife and I will staying in the DuPont Circle/West End area on Saturday night and I wanted to know if there were any good black bars or lounges to check out nearby after a late dinner. When I say "black", the composition of the clientele makes no difference whatsoever. But I am looking for a cool, African American vibe (when in Rome do as the Romans do). If there is music, we want to have R&B or 80s/90s soul in the background. Some reggae might be alright too. But we definitely are not looking for a hip-hop club for the under 30 crowd. We'd prefer the thirtysomething/ fortysomething age group in a bar or lounge scene, rather than a dance club filled with youngsters. If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,707 times
Saturday? Hmmm... downstairs at Indulj (live band). Ben's next door. The W is cool.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:54 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,674 times
co-sign I think Indulj will be more your style

Old 06-21-2012, 08:21 PM

Thank you for the recommendations. I have heard of Indulj-the U Street Corridor is supposed to be poppin. Has anyone ever been to Bar 7? The vibe is apparently good but from my understanding it is a bar that charges a cover. Are the lounges charging covers just not worth the hassle?

Old 06-21-2012, 11:33 PM

572 posts, read 1,870,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
Thank you for the recommendations. I have heard of Indulj-the U Street Corridor is supposed to be poppin. Has anyone ever been to Bar 7? The vibe is apparently good but from my understanding it is a bar that charges a cover. Are the lounges charging covers just not worth the hassle?
I went there once on a saturday night, less than 2 months ago. They charged me a $20 cover last time I was there, and I left early cause it was pretty crowded; i mean shoulder to shoulder. other than that the place has the vibe you're looking for.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:36 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,182 times
Lounge of Three on U Street is a perfect fit. This spot is owned by some Ethiopians. The bar caters mostly to a mid to late 20's/30 something and up predominantly Black professional crowd. The bartenders and DJ's are friendly good people. The bar pretty much exclusively plays 80's/90's Hip Hop and R&B. It is a nice laid back spot with some good bar food. This bar is NOT a ghetto club for drunk rowdy local hoodrats with guaranteed fights and five police officers out on the dance floor with Rick Ross blaring. Lounge of Three used to be my home base bar before I stopped going out all the time.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 06-21-2012 at 11:46 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 06:23 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,707 times
Let me specify downstairs at Indulj, not upstairs but they do charge a cover.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Lounge of Three on U Street is a perfect fit. This spot is owned by some Ethiopians. The bar caters mostly to a mid to late 20's/30 something and up predominantly Black professional crowd. The bartenders and DJ's are friendly good people. The bar pretty much exclusively plays 80's/90's Hip Hop and R&B. It is a nice laid back spot with some good bar food. This bar is NOT a ghetto club for drunk rowdy local hoodrats with guaranteed fights and five police officers out on the dance floor with Rick Ross blaring. Lounge of Three used to be my home base bar before I stopped going out all the time.
I looked up LO3 and it looks real chill. And don't forget about the guy who has either had his shirt ripped off (or took it off voluntarily) screaming "I ain't goin' to jail tonight!". I wonder if he does that at the club during the winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
Let me specify downstairs at Indulj, not upstairs but they do charge a cover.
That is good to know. It really sounds as if U Street is the place to hit up. There are multiple venues to choose from in one area.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:34 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
lol good luck with that..

Old 06-22-2012, 12:09 PM

I don't want to worry you guys to death but I came across this place Eden. It is not around U Street and looks more like a club but it apparently has a cool rooftop lounge and multiple floors. I definitely would like a trendy, urban, high-density feel. If anybody has been to Eden, does it have a similar vibe to Indulj and TO3 or does the crowd skew to a younger demographic? I'm going to be chillin with the wife and I think I am best served not to demonstrate my former twentysomething behavioral tendencies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: